Brett Boyko NOT starting in the AAF

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I watched part of the San Diego - SLC game and the only time I saw Boyko on the field was when San Diego took the TE off the field and had Boyko in there as a extra RT. And the guy who was the starting RT didn't play all that well, imo.

So Boyko should be fresh, uninjured, and in good shape, when he shows up for the Lions TC....if the AAF lets him out of his contract. OTOH he may not be able to start in B.C. either.

I haven't watch very much AAF but from what I have seen, I would say that the AAF might end up as more of a player development league for the CFL.
The_Pauser
Legend

I don't think anyone will have to worry about AAF contracts. From the sounds of it the league could fold next week (no hyperbole either).

Boyko is a former top prospect who ended up being a wasted draft pick. He'll be 27 in August, and has barely played in games in half a decade. If he wants to come to camp on a minimum wage salary to compete for a backup spot, fine, but I wouldn't be bending over backwards or spending much money to bring him in considering I doubt he'd be much good at this point anyway. Kid could have had a chance at being a dominant lineman in the CFL but had no interest, so we shouldn't have interest in him.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Thanks for the Boyko sighting update. I've been following along a bit. He hasn't earned any starts in the first 8 weeks. I think I'd only seen him on the sidelines a couple times early in the season. The AAF did provide an NFL style Gamebook in the first 2 or 3 weeks which provided the starting lineups and listed players who came on as substitutions. He was listed as a sub in the first 2 games. In the 3rd he wasn't listed at all as starter, sub or "Did Not Play". That had me wondering if he was hurt or had been released but his name has been listed on the Fleet roster all along the way.

I do wonder if given the rumours of this past week that the AAF is on very shaky ground that he might just be playing out the season before finally heading north. All along I've been more curious about what decisions AAF players will be making AFTER the season ends than who went there in the first place.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

If the crowds at AAF games get any smaller they will start introducing the fans at the beginning of the games instead of the players.

In spite of low attendance and likely small TV contracts, surely the AAF must have planned for surviving the opening season with a negative cash flow.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am
surely the AAF must have planned for surviving the opening season with a negative cash flow.
No doubt. Question is how much negative cash flow were they budgeting to endure? Are their targets for ticket revenues, advertising revenues and TV viewership better than they projected? Same as projected? Or much worse? If the latter then obviously the cash burn rate will be significantly more than various investors were anticipating and for some more than they are willing to accept. When businessmen are asked to continually reach for their wallets to contribute more or faster than they originally committed to they tend to develop alligator arms or decide to cut their losses and bail.

Here's an article I just found. Bizarre what Orlando is forced to do to practice and play games. That can't be financially efficient.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:39 am
DanoT wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:47 am
surely the AAF must have planned for surviving the opening season with a negative cash flow.
No doubt. Question is how much negative cash flow were they budgeting to endure? Are their targets for ticket revenues, advertising revenues and TV viewership better than they projected? Same as projected? Or much worse? If the latter then obviously the cash burn rate will be significantly more than various investors were anticipating and for some more than they are willing to accept. When businessmen are asked to continually reach for their wallets to contribute more or faster than they originally committed to they tend to develop alligator arms or decide to cut their losses and bail.

Here's an article I just found. Bizarre what Orlando is forced to do to practice and play games. That can't be financially efficient.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
One of the things in that article said that Dundon committed $250M, and that is not the same as spending $250M on the AAF. In the end there might be a lot of unpaid bills.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:07 pm

One of the things in that article said that Dundon committed $250M, and that is not the same as spending $250M on the AAF. In the end there might be a lot of unpaid bills.
Right from the instant it was announced Dundon committed $250M I took that to mean there are caveats.

Committed = willing to spend, ergo not waste, if the burn rate stays in a range that he thinks is acceptable and that there are obvious signs that the burn rate will start to subside.

Darren Rovell wrote an article in which he indicated Dundon has already sunk $70M of that $250M commitment into the AAF in a matter of half a season.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/aaf-n ... rrenrovell
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 am
Thanks for the Boyko sighting update. I've been following along a bit. He hasn't earned any starts in the first 8 weeks. I think I'd only seen him on the sidelines a couple times early in the season. The AAF did provide an NFL style Gamebook in the first 2 or 3 weeks which provided the starting lineups and listed players who came on as substitutions. He was listed as a sub in the first 2 games. In the 3rd he wasn't listed at all as starter, sub or "Did Not Play". That had me wondering if he was hurt or had been released but his name has been listed on the Fleet roster all along the way.

I do wonder if given the rumours of this past week that the AAF is on very shaky ground that he might just be playing out the season before finally heading north. All along I've been more curious about what decisions AAF players will be making AFTER the season ends than who went there in the first place.
can't even start in AAF.
thank god for AAF. Hervey would have thown $140k at this guy, now he is basically a tryout player if he comes here near the minimum.

To be fair he would probably be a G in the CFL, not good enough to play T
VictoriaFan
Starter

I tried watching some AAF and its like watching bad college ball without the crowds
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm
can't even start in AAF.
thank god for AAF. Hervey would have thown $140k at this guy, now he is basically a tryout player if he comes here near the minimum.

To be fair he would probably be a G in the CFL, not good enough to play T
In his time with the Eagles and Chargers he was always looked at as a guard and listed as such on their depth charts.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Well now nobody is starting in the AAF. So will Boyko gamble on getting an XFL job, which is still nearly a year away, or does he finally come to the CFL?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:59 am
Well now nobody is starting in the AAF. So will Boyko gamble on getting an XFL job, which is still nearly a year away, or does he finally come to the CFL?
There's an old phrase "life is passing him by". For Boyko it could be said "his football life is passing him by". It would seem now that another NFL opportunity is highly improbable given he's already spent 4 years there, played 1 game and another fresh crop of college grads will be added to the talent pool at the end of this month. There's also another old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". For Boyko the CFL could be the bird in the hand. It's real and it's here now and will be here well past the end of his playing career. As for the two in the bush well one of them, the AAF, just died. That alone should be enough to raise concerns about whether or not the other bird which has yet to emerge from the egg, the XFL, will come out healthy and survive or turn out to be stillborn. I think Boyko's options are shrinking to the point where they are down to CFL, Arena Football or pack it in and get on with life.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If Boyko opts to try the CFL, do the Lions have cap space to meet his expectations and do they have a spot for him on the O-line? I’m doubtful on both counts. He might have more value to the Lions as trade bait.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm
If Boyko opts to try the CFL, do the Lions have cap space to meet his expectations and do they have a spot for him on the O-line? I’m doubtful on both counts. He might have more value to the Lions as trade bait.
Jovan Olafiyoe just announced his retirement, so I would think they have the cap space now.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:21 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 pm
Jovan Olafiyoe just announced his retirement, so I would think they have the cap space now.
Isn't Olafiyoe currently an unsigned FA, now retired?