Potential New Receivers for BC

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

1) Get Ernest Jackson
2) Keep eyes peeled for Devier Posey
3) Throw a ball Danny Vandervoort’s way for frig’s sake and let’s see what he can do
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Where is Nick Moore?
Rodu
Champion

I'm not sure why a NFL rookie cut couldn't make an impact? If you scout well they could. But there are other cuts, guys who were on practice squads for a couple years. Better than recycling a veteran never has been
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 pm
1) Get Ernest Jackson
3) Throw a ball Danny Vandervoort’s way for frig’s sake and let’s see what he can do
I agree, finally Vandervoort gets into a game and they don't throw his way once.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Well they have to do something. I expect when they start practicing again there will be a new receiver or two adding to the practice squad and eventually the roster. When Manny went out, Lions offence went to sleep producing just 3 points in the 2nd half. I think a trade maybe be coming for a guy in the league who is not playing much who could be a fit in. As far as NFL cuts, may have to wait till the final cuts to find anybody good.

Lions may have to grin and bear it for awhile. I do not expect them to beat Ottawa, not with Harris playing so well now.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Actually Shaq Johnson's return will help a little, but they need more help.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally expects other veteran receivers to step up to fill the void left by Manny's injury.
Arceneaux is a main target for quarterback Travis Lulay and, maybe even more importantly, a defining personality for the B.C. offence. Buono, the Lions head coach, was quick to say that he thinks the Lions defence “has rallied” since losing star middle linebacker Solomon Elimimian (wrist) in mid-July.

Elimimian, the 2014 CFL Most Outstanding Player, remains on the Lions’ six-game list.

“It’s a very, very similar situation,” said Buono. “The defence is playing hard.

“There are veterans on defence. You have to give a lot of kudos to Odell Willis for what he’s done (with Elimimian out). Shawn Lemon has been vocal since he’s joined our team. We have veterans on offence, too. The offensive line are veterans. The receiving corps are veterans. The running backs are veterans.

“This gives somebody else an opportunity to get a little bit more of the limelight, and there’s also nothing wrong with bringing other guys into more of a leadership role. Guys can step up.”
Buono hopes Lions offence handles Arceneaux injury similar to how defence has gone without Elimimian
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:58 pm
Where is Nick Moore?
Happily retired.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if Ed Hervey pull a Chris Jones and poach someone from the practice roster ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:33 pm
Wonder if Ed Hervey pull a Chris Jones and poach someone from the practice roster ?
Interesting thought. If teams are stashing receivers, they're not on the practice rosters. About the only recognizable name I found on a practice roster was Kenny Shaw, who was recently acquired by the Riders after stints in Toronto and Ottawa.

EDM no receivers
CAL: Markeith Ambles (I), Michael Klukas (N)
SAS: Kenny Shaw (I), Mitchell Picton (N)
WIN: Corey Washington (I), Tyrone Pierre (N)
TOR: Jimmy Ralph (N)
HAM: Cam Echols-Luper (I), Rashad Lawrence (I), Justin Burin (N)
OTT: no receivers
MON: Jamari Staples (I)
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:27 pm
1) Get Ernest Jackson
I agree, finally Vandervoort gets into a game and they don't throw his way once.
From what I saw he mostly ran just lazy little outs to the sideline or button hooks. I don't know how much preparing these guys do in different positions. Typically Wally has preferred to his backups and PR guys focusing on one role be it one of the slots or the short side or wide side WR. When injuries occurred to say the wide side WR next man up would be the guy who had been the one getting the bulk of the backup wide side WR reps. On Saturday it appeared when Manny went down it was Elliott I believe, or possibly Collins, who slid over with Vandervoort taking the wide side WR spot. When Elliott was first added to the roster it was as backup to Manny while Vandervoort has always been listed as backup to Watson. Vandervoort may have been in a role he hasn't seen many practice reps in.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The one thing that struck me about the "get Ernest Jackson" thing is how Rider Fan-like that sounds. That's their answer to everything. Got an injury or somebody not playing well? Well then just trade for somebody of another roster. 7th round draft pick and a bag of used footballs and the other guys will be happy to help out. I feel dirty. :wink:

I doubt Montreal will be as charitable as many here want them to be when it comes to Jackson. They are every bit as much in the hunt for a playoff spot as BC is. If they are to get into the race Jackson has to be a big part of it. Jackson hasn't been lighting it up but the Larks' passing game has been very inconsistent due to the revolving QB door. Not unlike BC they also lack the sort of depth that would allow them to move a receiver without getting one in return. Staples is the only guy on the PR and he's only been there for a week. To move Jackson they probably need to get a receiver back in the deal.

I expect for Ottawa we will see Shaq Johnson back into the lineup in his usual spot vs Ottawa if healthy. Elliott will line up in Manny's spot. Vandervoort will be back in behind Watson and somebody will be signed to the PR.
David
Team Captain

You are right Hambone. It was Farhan who floated that acquisition. While it makes sense on certain levels, we're not exactly dealing from strength, especially now that Manny is done for the year. I understand Ed and Kavis have a good relationship, but I don't think anyone is going to gift us an ex-CFL All-Star (even though I am sure they have been close to cutting Ernest due to his poor play this season. He has been open and targeted but has dropped a lot of passes).

The only thing we have to offer right now is a surplus of linebackers. I wouldn't touch our surplus of National O-linemen (i.e. Godber, Knevel).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

I would really like to see Vandervoort given an actual opportunity. We drafted him 3rd overall in 2017 and haven't bothered to use him yet. Either play him or release him so he can go to another team that will play him, because right now they're just ruining his career.

I still think we also need to go out and acquire another receiver. Neither Elliott or Collins will draw much attention. Teams can now focus solely on double teaming Burnham and we don't have anyone else in there to make them think twice.

Duron Carter would have been the purrfect signing for this team, but Hervey didn't want him (huge mistake). No word on anything definitive for Zylstra or Posey, though one of those two would help (both would help, as even with Manny in the lineup I felt we needed receiving help).

Grant might be an upgrade on someone like Collins, though if we're bringing him in here to replace Manny's spot we're in trouble.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:05 am
Duron Carter would have been the purrfect signing for this team, but Hervey didn't want him (huge mistake). No word on anything definitive for Zylstra or Posey, though one of those two would help (both would help, as even with Manny in the lineup I felt we needed receiving help).

Grant might be an upgrade on someone like Collins, though if we're bringing him in here to replace Manny's spot we're in trouble.
One exhibition game does not a season make but Posey had 2 catches for 31 yards including a 21 yard TD reception against Miami this past week. Zylstra finally saw some action after being out to nurse a hammy but was not targeted.