Leos vs Riders, Preview and Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

randymeeks
Legend

#firewally
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Yup, the dinosaur needs to be shown the door. The game has passed by him.
Fan7
Rookie

Disturber wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:59 pm
How anticlimactic
Didn't even get a chance to kick.

So sad that Wally's last season is so dismal.
Don’t count on that, he’s been playing this, “will I or won’t I” retire game for seven years now. He believes that the Lions and BC fans are lucky to have him and he will keep playing to the accolades as long as he can. Very narcissistic. BC should clean house now!
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Missed Manny in 2nd half
Wear orange or wear nothing
yukonlion
All Star

yes too many drops but also our Oline was bad, we keep running up the middle (is that our only running play?) and get stuffes leaving us 2nd and long... very unimaginative offense ... and rushing 2 or 3 in critical 2nd down plays has never worked... dont they watch film and see this?
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Worst coached team in the league. At no time did I think the offence would score.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You know, If I'm Hervey, I'm tempted to punt Wally and send a big message to the OC and DC. Get it right or get steppin.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
randymeeks
Legend

Wally has screwed up way too many times over the last 5 years to give him
Any more chances.

I’m done . Wally has got to go.
"I have social skills, jackass!"
-Malcolm (Malcolm In The Middle)
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

<10,000 attendance coming soon.
Fan7
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:11 pm
You know, If I'm Hervey, I'm tempted to punt Wally and send a big message to the OC and DC. Get it right or get steppin.
Time to clean house. Looking at BC’s team with some objectivity one must conclude they have been underachieving for years. The one thing you continually hear from the Lions media is how great Wally is and how fortunate the people of BC are that Wally coaches their team. Clean house now Wally is killing the game in your Province. 🐯
South Pender
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:56 pm
The biggest problem with this team is that the coaching is bad and frankly I don't think the talent is as good as people like to suggest.
I agree, Sir Purrcival. For an O-line that has been portrayed on this board as very good, they were just incapable tonight of adequate blocking, with our rushing total a measly 74 yards, our top tailback averaging 3.7 yds./carry, and a crucial 3rd and 1 stuffed. Just not good enough. I don't see how we can blame the coaches for the latter failure. Then add to that a really sloppy passing game with so many drops, and the fumbles, and I had the feeling that the players' minds just weren't in it.

David suggested a couple of threads ago that this season's Lions are really just an average team. Another poster amended this assessment to "mediocre." If our norm group is the nine CFL teams, our Lions are not average, but rather well below average. Some of this is on the coaches--as most on this forum like to see it--but the player talent is also below average in my opinion.

There was great hope when Lulay returned, but his record for the season is now 2-4--the same winning percentage as for Jonathon Jennings (1-2). Tonight Lulay made a few good passes, but also made some really bad ones--like the pass to Collins (I believe) late in the game that almost went straight to the Sask defender. He hit for only 58% of his passes over the game.

I guess we can still hope for better days, but, in my opinion, the team is just not good enough to be a factor this season in the CFL.
ZLions
Rookie

I don’t think the Leos played too badly, there were a lot of things they did pretty well actually. We just couldn’t make the big play when it mattered. Our defence in the second half played well enough for us to win, but our offence on the other hand just couldn’t get anything going.

On a side note, when’s the last time Chris Rainey had a decent return? Doesn’t seem to very very effective anymore imo. Not the main issue with this team obviously but still
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Rainey' had a descent return in the first half and was run down from behind. Another field goal
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:01 pm
Can someone explain to me why a coach with Wally’s record over the past two seasons isn’t been fired?

The answer is exactly why we are in this position. The owner is absent and he has let Wally continue to do what he wants without consequence.
Because Buono is loyal to Braley. No other plausible reason.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:45 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:56 pm
The biggest problem with this team is that the coaching is bad and frankly I don't think the talent is as good as people like to suggest.
I agree, Sir Purrcival. For an O-line that has been portrayed on this board as very good, they were just incapable tonight of adequate blocking, with our rushing total a measly 74 yards, our top tailback averaging 3.7 yds./carry, and a crucial 3rd and 1 stuffed. Just not good enough. I don't see how we can blame the coaches for the latter failure. Then add to that a really sloppy passing game with so many drops, and the fumbles, and I had the feeling that the players' minds just weren't in it.

David suggested a couple of threads ago that this season's Lions are really just an average team. Another poster amended this assessment to "mediocre." If our norm group is the nine CFL teams, our Lions are not average, but rather well below average. Some of this is on the coaches--as most on this forum like to see it--but the player talent is also below average in my opinion.

There was great hope when Lulay returned, but his record for the season is now 2-4--the same winning percentage as for Jonathon Jennings (1-2). Tonight Lulay made a few good passes, but also made some really bad ones--like the pass to Collins (I believe) late in the game that almost went straight to the Sask defender. He hit for only 58% of his passes over the game.

I guess we can still hope for better days, but, in my opinion, the team is just not good enough to be a factor this season in the CFL.
I concur, Lions are a mediocre team at best. Good teams don't kill themselves with stupid penalties, don't get beaten on 2nd and long continually, can tackle, can catch the football etc, etc