2018 season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Huge Talent
Starter

Hope it's cool to start a new thread. I know it's early, but I'm pumped for the season! Obviously.

What are your hopes and expectations for the 2018 BC Lions? I'm not sure, but I just love chilling, watching pro football, live.
David
Team Captain

Despite all the changes and CFL prognosticators' alarmingly low expectations of our Leos, I remain optimistic. I agree with Ed that the linchpin in this turnaround is upgrading the lines and getting bigger and faster across the board. Losing Cummings is a blow. We now have to find someone to fill that vacancy and productivity. Still, Ed and Torey Hunter are top-notch recruiters and no doubt have a plan to compensate for this loss. That said, our defensive backfield remains a bigger mystery going into 2108 than crop circles.

I am anxious to see how Jarious redesigns the offence to make it more diverse, sophisticated, and creative....if he's allowed to. Also anxious to see how Jonathon bounces back. I believe he has immense talent, but a fragile psyche.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have too many holes and question marks to give me confidence in the 2018 season.

The offensive line is improved with free-agent Joel Figueroa at left tackle. The Lions should be able to run well behind Figueroa, LG Hunter Steward and centre Cody Husband, as they did in 2016 with Jovan Olafioye at left tackle.

Quarterbacking is a major question mark. I've lost confidence in Jonathon Jennings' ability to read defences and make smart decisions. Defences have locked into his tendency to gun the ball into his two inside slots in the intermediate zone, whether or not they are covered. He has been unable to adjust, or to use his feet wisely, and he ended up as the league's 11th rated quarterback in most categories last year. He is still young and capable of improvement but he'll have to show me. I felt much more confident last year with a healthy Travis Lulay at QB, and the offensive stats bore that out.

The receiving corps lost a lot of depth with the departures of Chris Williams, Nick Moore and Marco Iannuzzi. Cory Watson and Ricky Collins Jr. will try to fill in but the important boundary WR spot remains a question mark.

Odell Willis brings energy to the defensive line but I don't know if he can be an every-down player at age 33. The Lions have three serviceable Canadians in the D-line rotation but I don't see any other potential impact players in that position group.

The defensive backfield is a big question mark, especially with the loss of their two best players, nickelback Chandler Fenner and boundary corner Ronnie Yell. The safety position and the field side of the secondary remain areas of major concern.

Coaching remains a concern, particularly the tendency to play conservatively on both sides of the ball, punting more than any other team in short yardage situations on offence and playing a base zone coverage on defence.

Overall, I'm a lot less optimistic about this year's team than I have been in the recent past. There are just too many changes. The Lions have lost 10 starters from the lineup that finished the 2017 season. In a couple of positions they've clearly upgraded. In most other positions, there are big questions. I hope Hervey finds a few more key pieces and this group jells. There's a lot of work to do.
Huge Talent
Starter

Some good insights, as expected. Last season was clearly quite frustrating. I think the high expectations made it even moreso.

If there's one thing I've learned about the Leos, and the CFL in general, is to expect the unexpected. So maybe it's a good thing that optimism is low.

I think better protection will go a long way in Jennings' plight to return to a high calibre pivot.

I believe the emotions will be much higher this year, being dogs and playing for Wally in his last season.. Emotions seemed lacking to say the least at times last year
maxlion
Legend

I agree with B.C. FAN's evaluation, and would add that our position is even more precarious given the strength of other teams in the division.

It looks like the Riders have turned the corner and could be contenders for the division title this year. Bombers finally have a qb and are on the rise. No weaknesses in Calgary. Edmonton may have lost some of their edge and depth this off season, but still have the best qb in the league.

The crossover is not a given either with Ottawa, Toronto, and Hamilton all looking pretty solid to start the season.

We need Jennings to become what we all hoped he would two years ago, and probably some luck such as key injuries for divisional rivals, to have a chance at a playoff spot.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions will once again lead the league in allowing quarterback sacks.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A rebuilt team with a new D backfield and a DC in Mark Washington that I have lost confidence in and a OL coach in Dorazio whose charges have struggled to look respectable for quite a few years has me resigned to another non playoff year for the Lions.
Dusty
Champion

DanoT, I agree with your concern over the DC, and how he will build the DB's. I think the loss of Purifoy for the past 2 year (he played so many different positions instead of the nickel position he was best in) and Fenner will be hard to overcome, so I fear we will continue to be burned deep and have blown coverages.

I also fear that the OL, after having initial success from the new people, will become confused and by mid season will become ineffective, thus putting more pressure on Jennings.

The one hopeful part of the new season will be seeing how much JJ as OC can bring about an offence that uses mis-direction and options for the pocket so that Jennings does not have to overuse his slots.

Bottom line for me is that I cannot wait for the season to start..... missing my football fix, I am.....
CardiacKid
Legend

I am not consumed with optimism unfortunately. But as previously mentioned, things can get very topsy-turvy in the CFL. So I am not necessarily approaching the season as being a downer.

I am concerned the defense has traded one form of imbalance for another. I am still smarting from the loss of both Fenner and Purifoy when I think at least one of the pair had to be retained.

Hervey needs to address the receiving corps. I am not sold on Ricky Collins: he had some very good games with the Riders but he had others where he was practically invisible and an absolute non-factor. I suspect he will not gel with Jennings.

And why so many former Esks? That really gives me pause...

The West will be competitive as always. The Esks I suspect will be stronger, the Bombers will be better, the Riders could be much better depending on their QB.

I think the Leo’s will need to think this as year 1 of a rebuild.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 am
I am not consumed with optimism unfortunately. But as previously mentioned, things can get very topsy-turvy in the CFL. So I am not necessarily approaching the season as being a downer.

I am concerned the defense has traded one form of imbalance for another. I am still smarting from the loss of both Fenner and Purifoy when I think at least one of the pair had to be retained.

Hervey needs to address the receiving corps. I am not sold on Ricky Collins: he had some very good games with the Riders but he had others where he was practically invisible and an absolute non-factor. I suspect he will not gel with Jennings.

And why so many former Esks? That really gives me pause...

The West will be competitive as always. The Esks I suspect will be stronger, the Bombers will be better, the Riders could be much better depending on their QB.

I think the Leo’s will need to think this as year 1 of a rebuild.
I take all the former Esks that Hervey has signed as a positive as these are guys that he has knowledge of not as former opposition players but guys that he got to see every day of the season. And it is a 2 way street which means these former Esks know Hervey pretty well and think highly enough of Hervey to follow him to B.C.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't know if Edmonton will be stronger. They lost Bowman, Zylstra and Watson from their receiving corps . They lost their starting LT to BC's benefit. Reilly is huge for them but he takes a lot of big hits through the season. He may take a few more without Figueroa protecting his blind side. Almondo Sewell is their only full time starting DL coming back. Gone are Willis, Cummings, Chick, Hunt, and Howard. Now that could be a good thing for them as they desperately needed to get younger on the DL. Kenny Ladler going to the NFL is a big loss. My Eskie spy Great White North commended Hervey for signing Peters terming it a very good "under the radar" move.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

A team in a major transition with plenty of question marks. Will be pegged for dead last in the West by everyone but maybe the low expectations will be a blessing in disguise after last year's hugely disappointing season.

Would have rather seen a complete overhaul than this somewhat strange arrangement but I guess that is coming in 2019. Hervey clearly didn't think much of the Lions secondary as his free agent moves indicated. Not sure how better the defence will be no matter what the personnel is with the same DC running the show.

Immediate pressure on Jarious Jackson to revive Jennings career which is a big part of revitalizing this franchise. How short will JJ's leash be once Lulay is healthy and this being Wally's final season?

Will be paying close attention to Charles Vaillancourt and Danny Vandervoort — a pair of very high draft picks that have starting spots waiting for them if they can make an impact.
longtimefan
Starter

I'm curious as well. I wonder if Wally will bend to what Hervey wants to see? I don't think Wally wants to go out as the coach who wouldn't let his coaches be innovative. That's already there so it will be interesting to see what happens. Sometimes miracles happen.....
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:16 pm
My Eskie spy Great White North commended Hervey for signing Peters terming it a very good "under the radar" move.
Ironically, my "under the radar" moves weren't from Edmonton. They were from Montreal.

I believe Brandon Rutley and Gabe Knapton are very under-rated players. Rutley played behind Tyrell Sutton, and in spot duty had a 5.9 yard average last year, but I love his versatility, and Knapton played among so many great defensive players, I don't think he got a lot of credit for Montreal's stout defences the past number of years.

I think we'll have a great 1-2 combination in the backfield with Johnson, Rutley (or 1,2,3 with Rainey).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 am

Will be paying close attention to Charles Vaillancourt and Danny Vandervoort — a pair of very high draft picks that have starting spots waiting for them if they can make an impact.
Killer Vees? I don't know that Vandervoort is ready but Vaillancourt has to be close.

For those disappointed when draft picks don't start immediately quick numbers from the 2017 Draft Class.
Players Drafted - 71
Players who suited up for at least 1 game - 40
Players who started at least 1 game - 5

Overall there were 64 NATs classed as rookies in 2017 including some with NFL experience such as Foucault, Bouka and Colquhoun. Those 64 NAT rookies were credited with 80 starts combined.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.