Euclid Cummings Contract voided by the league

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cjones2451
Rookie

This sucks, was hoping he would be a beast in the middle of the D line this year
I understand it and agree with it, it just sucks!

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/ ... -b-c-lions
CardiacKid
Legend

I am going to assume that if these charges don’t even go forward and result in a trial, much less a conviction, that he won’t be welcome to join the club. Not being forthcoming about being in legal trouble is not a good look on a player. Especially when his signing bonus of $70,000+ counts against the cap. Might as well thrown it into False Creek.

So a big waste of a free agent signing and a waste of cap space against bringing a guy like Chandler Fenner back...only March and we are already behind the 8 ball in a rather embarrassing way.

:bang:
:sigh:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is a big kick in the pants for our organization. :thdn:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

This is a big blow. :bang:

Cummings was to anchor the interior of our D and was a key FA signing. There's an opportunity cost involved in this. We not only lose an inside pocket pusher who's stout against the run, but it also comes down to who we couldn't and didn't sign because of this $160,000 per year contract.

So it now comes down to trading, picking up someone's discards, or doing some really good recruiting (perhaps someone with NFL experience, but those guys typically aren't waiting by the phone on CFL offers).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

The Riders managed to effectively deal with the loss of their best guy in the secondary from 2016, Justin Cox, due to legal problems. So not entirely without precedence.

But man......this made me sick to my stomach. Whether he wanted to be or not, Cummings was Poster Boy 1A for the new look Lions in FA.

No idea how this transpired...whether the Lions were hoodwinked or ignored due diligence. I expect we won't be getting any explanation whether the brain trust wants to give one or not.

But I sure as hell feel we deserve one.

Overall a big fat :thdn:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If the league voids the contract, the Lions should be excused from counting his bonus against their salary cap. Even if the team manages to recover the $70,000 it doesn't do much for them if they can't spend it. Clearly Cummings is accused of something terrible if a publication ban in in place. Those are usually only ordered for sex crimes and crimes involving minors.

Lets say the case falls apart and the charges are dropped. Most likely the Lions won't take Cummings back unless they (and the public) believe he is completely innocent. But what if he is only as "innocent" as OJ? The league would have no reason to ban him if he was not convicted. The Lions would have 70,000 reasons to give Cummings a second chance.

It would be in the best interest of the league to forgive the cap hit in these situations.
David
Team Captain

Alleged sexual assault charges and threats stemming from an incident that happened (coincidentally) here in Vancouver when Cummings was with the Blue Bombers.

According to Postmedia:
J.J. Adams wrote:Provincial court documents show the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Atlanta native was charged last April with four criminal offences involving two alleged victims stemming from incidents in Vancouver on Oct. 16, 2016. His team at the time, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, played their regular-season finale at B.C. Place on Oct. 14, 2016.

Cummings is charged with sexual assault, assault and uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm to one person, and the sexual assault of another.
Rather surprising in this small, tight-knit CFL community that it flew under the radar and management was caught unawares. I was expecting to read of an incident in Georgia or someplace that happened this off-season - not 2016 in our own backyard!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to reports, the $70,000 has already been spent so has to be counted against the cap. It's a triple blow to the team with bad PR, loss of cap space and loss of free agents who could have been signed with that money.
CardiacKid
Legend

My initial reaction of disappointment was based on my emotional connection to the team. Who play what is, after all, just a game.

The severity of the charges against Cummings take this to a whole new level. I actually feel somewhat embarrassed by my initial reaction.

If Cummings did in fact commit a violent sexual assault, then someone was horrifically victimized in a manner I could never truly understand or appreciate.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial, Cummings is poison to the team. No way he can ever wear Lions colours, not if the goals of the Don’t Be A Bystander program or the work done by Lion’s players mean anything to the club.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I just heard about this 45 minutes ago driving between Kelowna and Kamloops. I could've sworn Sekeres said there wasn't a bonus paid. Seems to be mixed signals if I heard Sekeres correctly.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Ouch! Did Shaun Gore tip off his former team that this was coming down. And in Vancouver of all places.

Good news: The Lions find out at the time of the year where it can go away rather quietly and avoid a "Josh Boden type" scenario where the club's reputation takes a hit as well.

Bad News: Lions now without their second biggest FA signing in an area that desperately needed upgrading. Where do they even go from here with or without the $70,000 signing bonus back? Just so many question marks with this team right now.
BC 1988
Legend

This is really something--the timing of how the events went down with Hervey and Orridge out of their positions last year and Ambrosie out of the blue NOW decides to void the contract. Why was Cummings even listed by the league as an eligible FA? BC should not be liable for the cap space or the signing bonus.
http://3downnation.com/2018/03/07/bombe ... ormed-cfl/
The_Pauser
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm
According to reports, the $70,000 has already been spent so has to be counted against the cap. It's a triple blow to the team with bad PR, loss of cap space and loss of free agents who could have been signed with that money.
IF that's the case, I think the Lions should seek out suing Cummings to recover that $70,000, and also the league for allowing him to be listed as a free agent despite not really being eligible.
Roar you Lions roar!
maxlion
Legend

Unless the league has specific information that would confirm Cummings' guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, I feel that voiding the contract is jumping the gun. A suspension pending the outcome of the trial would be a more appropriate course. It is not uncommon at all for people to be charged with a crime and later found not guilty in the courts. Innocent people should not be punished by losing their livelihood and ostracized from their community.

Cardiac Kid mentioned a similar situation with Justin Cox, who was found not guilty by the courts, yet continued to be barred by the league and treated as an untouchable by the Riders.

Leave the judgements to the courts, not Randy Ambrosie.

Edit: I do think that Cummings had an obligation to inform his employer about this situation so, if he failed to do so, this could be the basis of the CFL voiding his contract. Which would be understandable.
Dusty
Champion

I also think that by not disclosing, Cummings put the CFL and Lions in a VERY difficult spot. Charges were laid prior to the start of last years training camp and regular season... Where was the league or Esks last year??? Obviously not aware of it... Seems to me that a cap exception to the signing bonus should be given.... or perhaps the Esks or Bombers should pay it since the triggering event happened on their watch........ or not.... a bit of a mess all round.... at least the Lions acted quickly on getting the information.....