Washington 2nd frontrunner for Als Head Coaching Gig

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Als hire MW and MW pilphers Bouno's remaining staff; best case senario
David
Team Captain

Be careful what you wish for. For starters, there aren't a lot of top-notch assistants looking for work. Second, this is a transition year. Wally is a lame duck head coach. Any guy will consider the fact that Ed, a new coach, or a possible new owner - may put his own guys in place in 2019. Who wants to come all the way out here for possibly a one and done year?

Remember, Khari wasn't our first choice for OC. I don't even think he was our second choice.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette, DeVone Claybrooks has taken himself out of the running for the Montreal head coaching job. That would seem to open the door to Mark Washington.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm
Be careful what you wish for. For starters, there aren't a lot of top-notch assistants looking for work. Second, this is a transition year. Wally is a lame duck head coach. Any guy will consider the fact that Ed, a new coach, or a possible new owner - may put his own guys in place in 2019. Who wants to come all the way out here for possibly a one and done year?

Remember, Khari wasn't our first choice for OC. I don't even think he was our second choice.

Yeah, and you wonder how much of that may have had something to do with the guy running the show and the reputation he has for doing things his way.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:14 pm
David wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah, and you wonder how much of that may have had something to do with the guy running the show and the reputation he has for doing things his way.

It is likely a strong possibility that it has something to do with Reed or his own sense that he's not really in the running and a good measure of the impermanence of an Als HC with so many mid-season firings. Also as Jeff Reinebold has said in citing the number of HC roles in pro football right down to a specific number that I can't recall - You have to have a QB or know where to get one or you're not going to last.

In part, I suspect if he has a good rapport with Dave D and Jon H, they'd advise him to be careful taking that leaky ship over.

I always look for the comments of these candidates for roles like HC to hear if they grasp the role of the HC as distinct from a top assistant as the role should be different as the HC. It's true that you have to relate to players as DC has said and I'd not read conclude just on Claybooke's quotes he'd not understand the role.

Trestman brings in his philosophy and he tries to relate to players and it's worked well for him but not so well with the NFL. In GC week he admitted that most have bought into the process which sounded like he wasn't sure all had.

Trestman spoke of the process a lot in GC week and that's new thinking in pro sports based on the latest research into practice methods where you set process goals and focus on these things versus just an outcome goal (we want to win a cup). If the process is bought into and all these things are being done right then you will have a chance to win a cup. The players too spoke of the process. Daniel Coyle and others have done a lot of work on this practice stuff as have musicians etc.

Calgary HC didn't talk like that and maybe once again they got focused on the win only versus how that whole GC week was being played out.

Chris Jones keeping his team twice in the east was also very process focused this season and you heard it coming from the players including Duron Carter - who clearly bought in.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Handicapping coaching candidates is good fodder for fans. They seem to relish in pre-determining who the GM's first choice is before the first interview is conducted. While it could be true if the GM has a long history working with a given candidate I would hope a GM isn't so deliberate. If he doesn't really know some of the candidates all that well the worst thing he can do is put himself in a position where it's one man's job to lose.

For Claybrooks he has to gauge not only the situation and whether he and Reed are on the same page but as a young coach with not a lot of experience he has to reconcile whether he really is ready to run a team. Jump too early into a situation where inexperience could bite him in the butt and he could set himself back a decade in his career objectives. Lionbackers should remember when Benevides was considered a strong candidate in Toronto but declined because he felt he wasn't quite ready for it. Claybrooks has a bright future it seems and is in a good situation with a good organization he can continue to develop in. He doesn't have to jump on the first HC job that comes his way. Lord knows in the CFL there will probably be a half dozen come up in the next 2 years. We know of 1 for sure. Maybe he's thinking yeah I can sit back in Calgary, get another year under my belt and be in better position to take a run at Wally's old job.

Personally I've interviewed on jobs, good well paying positions, and withdrew my name after the interview. It had nothing to do with the company I interviewed with or the people. I felt good about that part. For other reasons though I called to advise I was withdrawing. My point is we shouldn't automatically assume Claybrooks or Chamblin for that matter withdrew or declined simply because of the way things have gone in Montreal recentl, Kavis or the QB situation. There can be a myriad of other factors.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Mark Washington has interviewed for the Montreal head coaching job but fellow B.C. assistant Marcel Bellefeuille is among several other candidates still in the running, and one of those candidates might be DeVone Claybrooks, who is sending mixed messages about his interest in the job. Here's the latest from Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette:
The last time Mark Washington interviewed to become the Alouettes’ head coach — in 2012, following the departure of Marc Trestman to the NFL — the organization hired Dan Hawkins.

We all know how that ended, Hawkins fired five games into his maiden, and only, Canadian Football League season.

Five years later, Washington’s vastly more experienced and believes he’s more prepared to become a CFL head coach. Incidentally, he was interviewed this week by Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed.

“It was a positive interview. I think we’re still trying to get a feel on what each wants to do. I can’t say it was terrible or a waste of time,” Washington, the British Columbia Lions’ defensive co-ordinator since 2014, told the Montreal Gazette.

“But I’ve also learned not to put a lot of stock into this. You hold things loosely.”

Reed continues interviewing candidates. It’s believed he met Marcel Bellefeuille, the Lions’ receivers coach, and Tommy Condell, who coaches Toronto’s receivers, this week. Reed’s now believed to be in the U.S., possibly meeting with NCAA coaches.

Throughout the process, it was believed the two leading candidates were Washington and Calgary defensive co-ordinator DeVone Claybrooks, but now there are mixed messages circulating throughout the league regarding Claybrooks. Some believe Claybrooks no longer remains a candidate, while others insist he’s still in the mix and shouldn’t be dismissed.

GM Kavis Reed intensifies search for Alouettes' next head coach
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Taking this job carried a huge risk. Kavis Reed is a terrible manager and the Montreal Alouettes are going nowhere under his leadership. It could be whoever is the coach will only last one season, if that. Reed is the same guy who cut Bear Woods, their best player. He could have tried to trade him, instead he cut him and got nothing in return. Reed also fired Jacque C and took over and I think did not even win a game. I believe Claybrooks has turned down the job probably advised by Huff to wait for next year where he could be the coach of BC in a way better situation and with a more talented team.

I would not trust Reed to run a Pee wee team let alone a pro team. How he got the job is beyond me.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The article also say Tom Clements interviewed, but is out of the mix and Mike B has not interviewed and he believes he will not be asked too.

Also it says Buono is in a holding pattern until a decision is reached about Mark W by the Als. If not hired, he likely will be back here.

Tried to copy more of the article, but it will not let you.
leo4life
All Star

3downnation now reporting MW as lead HC candidate with Wally's endorsement as HC material
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:13 pm
3downnation now reporting MW as lead HC candidate with Wally's endorsement as HC material
Well if Wally thinks he's HC material it's likely he isn't lol based on Wally's record.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Given Buono's record of hiring head coaches I wouldn't put too much weight on his endorsement.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Tommy Condell gets second interview for Alouettes’ head coaching job

Posted on December 11, 2017 by Drew Edwards // 4 Comments

Toronto Argonauts receivers coach and former Hamilton Tiger-Cats offensive coordinator Tommy Condell is getting a second interview for the Montreal Alouettes vacant head coach position, according to a CFL source.

3DownNation’s Justin Dunk reported that Condell had an initial conversation with Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed last week and the position remains open after Calgary defensive coordinator DeVone Claybrooks – long considered the front-runner for the job – pulled out of consideration over the weekend. B.C. Lion’s defensive coordinator Mark Washington is also thought to be a strong candidate.

Looks like Condell now may be the front runner.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised Mike Benevides wouldn't at least get an interview for the Montreal job. He never had a losing record in BC and everyone could see that he never really got the chance to run the team by himself. He seems to be very well respected by his players in Edmonton (of course next to Maas he must seem like a hell of a nice guy) and he has done a great job as DC there (as he did as DC here). Maybe Bene is one of those guys who can be an excellent coordinator but can't be a successful HC, but if I were Montreal I would certainly take a good look at him. I won't be surprised if he is on BC's short list in 2019.
CardiacKid
Legend

I’m inclined to think the Als would lean towards hiring a HC with an OC pedigree like Condell instead of a DC. Mostly because they have struggled mightily at getting stability at the QB position as well as being pretty underwhelming offensive performers since Trestman left.