CFL Games of Week 16, October 6 - 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

HAM @ WPG ... Jones has the Cats playing much better. But gotta take the Peg.

SSK @ TOR ... Some fans, including myself, were enjoying the Riders struggling under Chris Jones. But Jones knows what he is doing. Glenn is doing a nice job at QB for them.

OTT @ BC ... Every game is a must game for us. "It ain't over 'til it's over," said Yogi Berra. We are not mathematically eliminated, especially as the Eskimos are self-destructing, following the lead of their Head Coach, Jason Maas.

EDM @ MTL ... Pretty much a gimme for the Schmos. Will Maas ignite? Will Kavis ignite? LOL ... Could be interesting. Looking forward to some good sideline shots.

2017-10-01_0912.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The remaining games for the two of the teams, BC and Edmonton, hoping to get into the playoffs via the East.

OTT @ BC

EDM @ MTL

BC @ WPG

TOR @ EDM

EDM @ BC

BC @ WPG

CGY @ EDM

EDM @ SSK

TOR @ BC
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A very quick look at the teams ...

1 Calgary ... The man at the top is Hufnagel. Dickenson looks to be as good (or better) a Head Coach as Hufnagel. Claybrooks looks like the best DC in the league. Talent ain't bad either.

2 Winnipeg ... Happy for Andrew Harris. :thup: This fan always thought he was a very special running back. O'Shea and Lapolice and even Richie Hall looking pretty good. Nichols is IMO a top tier QB now.

3 Saskatchewan ... Could they give Kevin Glenn a Grey Cup victory? I would like that. Tough road to do that, however.

4 Toronto ... The Trestman effect is taking place. Ricky Ray must be very happy.

5 Edmonton ... They have 7 wins. But they are in a huge schuss down the slope. Will Maas go ballistic once more?

6 BC ... This CFL fan has been avoiding criticism of our coaching staff for a while now. The opinions are pretty much the same, however, just unstated lately. The jobs of our football staff are tough. Coaching is not an easy gig. The competition is fierce. Yes, criticism goes with the territory of being a pro football coach. But, after all these years with this regime, it is an easier road for me to take to not get emotionally upset over football games. (Not get too high, not get too low, after all it is just a game, as they say.) Easier to watch and comment also, and this is especially true, to be able to post quickly after games, not feeling the pain of previous years, after tough losses. Others feel the passion, and that is fine. -- The playoffs are at risk for us. We are a middlin' team. We are in a holding pattern. Everything with the team is status quo.

7 Ottawa ... Behind us in wins, but they are in the East. Nice easy road to the playoffs. Do they miss Henry Burris? Ernest Jackson? Chris Williams?

8 Hamilton ... On the way up, under June Jones. IMO the talent is not radically different from team to team. QBs matter. Masoli is managing the games, and he has some mojo. Coaches matter. Austin had used up his time. He looked so cranky and unhappy on the sideline. No one said it was easy. The team looks reborn under Jones.

9 Montreal ... GM --> Kavis Reed. Head Coach --> Kavis Reed. Just how did this arrangement come about? Oh my ...

2017-10-01_0928.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David
Team Captain

Great assessment WCJ. I think the order is bang-on. I wouldn't change anything.

I just shake my head when I see that we are at #6 with all our talent (some might even argue for Ottawa to be there as they beat us in August). Such a wasted season thus far. But we are what our record states that we are. It's not a talent ranking, it's a performance ranking.

Did not expect Toronto to be doing as well as they are this year, even with Trestman back. Franchise was an off-season mess. But it shows you that good things can happen with a savvy coach and future HOF quarterback.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 am

I just shake my head when I see that we are at #6 with all our talent (some might even argue for Ottawa to be there as they beat us in August). Such a wasted season thus far. But we are what our record states that we are. It's not a talent ranking, it's a performance ranking.

Did not expect Toronto to be doing as well as they are this year, even with Trestman back. Franchise was an off-season mess. But it shows you that good things can happen with a savvy coach and future HOF quarterback.

Thanks, David. :thup:

I am not surprised to see the Argonauts starting to prosper under Trestman.

And Ricky Ray walks straight into the HOF on retirement.

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 am
David wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks, David. :thup:

I am not surprised to see the Argonauts starting to prosper under Trestman.

And Ricky Ray walks straight into the HOF on retirement.
As Farhan said on 3 Down Radio tonight, it is not just Marc Trestman, it's Jim Popp totally redoing their roster.

Matthew Scianitti at 3 Down Nation says this:

http://3downnation.com/2017/09/28/colla ... on-report/
"Collaros will not renegotiate and be wearing new uniform next season, guaranteed: report

Ticats quarterback Zach Collaros will not renegotiate his contract and be wearing a new uniform next season, TSN’s Matthew Scianitti guaranteed in an interview on TSN1150 radio in Hamilton on Wednesday."
I think Zach Collaros and his representatives have enough self-respect to say thanks for the memories Hamilton, but we’ll take our business elsewhere and it’s likely going to be 55 kilometres to the east on the QEW.”
I have an inkling Scianitti is getting this straight from Collaros. I think Scianitti is quite friendly with Collaros and is dropping this gem to let the Argos know he'd love to be there with them as Ricky Ray is not long in the game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've never been a Kavis Reed fan but I just came across a quote he gave earlier this year when the Als played in Edmonton, and found it quite insightful and appropriate for this thread:
"I always tell guys you never play the team, you always play the co-ordinators. This league is that way. The personnel may change but you watch the games last weekend and you know that team is coached by Such-and-Such ... Co-ordinators are going to do what co-ordinators are going to do.”
Kavis Reed marks return to Edmonton as opposing GM
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:44 pm
I've never been a Kavis Reed fan but I just came across a quote he gave earlier this year when the Als played in Edmonton, and found it quite insightful and appropriate for this thread:
"I always tell guys you never play the team, you always play the co-ordinators. This league is that way. The personnel may change but you watch the games last weekend and you know that team is coached by Such-and-Such ... Co-ordinators are going to do what co-ordinators are going to do.”
Kavis Reed marks return to Edmonton as opposing GM
And of course I have not been a Kavis Reed fan either. But I agree with what he said about "you always play the coordinators." And I believe that is a point that Blitz makes over and over as well. Football teams reflect their coaches, whether that is the Head Coach, or dominant coordinators. It is the coaches playing chess, playing wargames. The players are pieces on the field, and of course, sometimes players, with their individual brilliance, can dominate.

As they say in business, an organization reflects the values of the leaders. Aggressive. Conservative. Go for it. Play it safe. Gamble. Hold on. Mix it up. Stay with the tried and true.

Kavis might be right in what he said, but his own overall record as a coach is not good. He did have one pretty good year with the Eskimos in 2011.

Just IMO ...

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Playoff scenarios from cfl.ca ...

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/02/playoff-s ... sp-clinch/
Playoff Scenarios: Argos eye East crown; Bombers on cusp of clinch

Johany Jutras/CFL.ca

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO — The Shaw Road to the Grey Cup is underway and there is a lot up for grabs as we head into Week 16.

In the East, the focus is all on the Toronto Argonauts who have an opportunity to not only to clinch their spot in the playoffs but punch their ticket right to the Eastern Final with a win and an Ottawa loss. Should they do so, it will be the first time since 2013 that they have hosted the division championship.

With Calgary locking down a playoff spot in the West, Winnipeg can join them with a number of scenarios that could play into their favour. While still mathematically in contention for first place, the Bombers can at least secure a home playoff date this weekend before they try and track down the Stampeders.

Thanksgiving Monday features a matchup between the Eskimos and Alouettes where Montreal will be playing for their playoff lives. An Als loss, combined with an Ottawa win will put Montreal in next-year mode with three games left in their season.

Here is how the scenarios shake down for Week 16:

•Toronto Win = Toronto clinch a playoff berth and a home playoff date
•Toronto Win + Ottawa Loss OR Tie = Toronto clinches first place in the East Division and will host the Eastern Final
•Hamilton Loss = Toronto clinch a playoff berth and a home playoff date
•Montreal Loss + Ottawa Win = Montreal eliminated from playoffs
•Winnipeg Win + Saskatchewan Loss + Edmonton Loss = Winnipeg clinches a playoff berth
•Winnipeg Win + Saskatchewan Loss + Edmonton Loss + BC Loss = Winnipeg clinches a playoff berth and a home playoff date
•Hamilton Loss + Saskatchewan Win + Edmonton Win = A West Division team will crossover and take the third playoff berth in the East Division

Who has clinched a playoff berth

Calgary Stampeders

If the playoffs started today (Oct. 2) …

Western Semi-Final: Saskatchewan at Winnipeg
Western Final: TBD at Calgary

Eastern Semi-Final: Edmonton at Ottawa
Eastern Final: TBD at Toronto

Out of the playoffs: Hamilton, Montreal, BC

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/03/cauz-cfl- ... nksgiving/
Cauz: What are CFL teams thankful for on Thanksgiving?

Matthew Cauz

The end of summer is, for the most part, a depressing time of year. It signifies the end of patios, warmth and long days as it ushers in salt stains, waiting for your car to warm up and the return to school.

On the flip side, fall gives us a couple weeks of brilliant colours on the trees, unlimited sports options and of course that holiday that allows us to put up two middle fingers to our respective diets, Thanksgiving! So with this caloric holiday upon us, it’s time for my annual “What is every team in the CFL thankful for?” column.

I’m guessing for most people reading this, you’re thankful for health in your family and that second slice of pumpkin pie. But what should each team in the league be most thankful for? I’m glad you asked. Here is what I have come up:
BC Lions

Oh boy, this is a hard one considering I had the Lions in the Grey Cup and Jonathon Jennings winning the MOP. Hmmm, well you can be thankful that Solomon Elimimian is banging out yet another 100-tackle season. It’s like his 2014 Achilles injury never happened! Travis Lulay proved he still has plenty left in the tank when he’s healthy… yikes let’s not mention the word “injury” with Lulay. Hey, Alex Bazzie is back! That’s good news; I mean that dude is a badass when it comes to getting to the quarterback.

All right, I’m going to be honest, I am disappointed with the Lions 2017 season. With the talent on this team and their exciting come-from-behind playoff win over Winnipeg last year I had massive expectations for this squad and, sadly, they have been not been realized. Big picture: Jennings is still young and the front office is smart enough to make the right changes for a more satisfying 2018.

At the very least, the team has a good deal for a swanky seven-night Mexican vacation in March, so that is something to be thankful for … Right?
Calgary

When you’re this good, the list of players would be endless. From the quiet consistency of Marquay McDaniel and the punishing runs of Jerome Messam to the entire defensive line, there are so many deserving names. But I’m going to go with two individuals for whom this organization should be most thankful for: John Hufnagel and Pat DelMonaco.

The first one is obvious. Since taking over as general manager of the Stampeders, Calgary has won 117 games over the past nine seasons (not including this year), which is an average of 13 wins a year! That is a ridiculous statistic. Any team can have a one-year blip of success that can be attributed to luck, good health and a cluster of players performing well above expectations. But to have a near-decade of dominance? That speaks to organizational success, and no organization has dominated quite like Calgary has over the past 10 years.

On a small scale, Stamps fans should give thanks to DelMonaco, the team’s offensive line coach. That unit took a big hit when the biggest free agent prize from this off-season, left tackle Derrick Dennis, left for Saskatchewan. Normally you would see a drop off from a team’s offensive efficiency when losing such a dominant offensive tackle. Nope. Calgary has allowed the fewest sacks while ranking second in rushing yards and is also first in yards per play.

Finally, Calgary should be thankful that Bo Levi Mitchell does not run the ball. Hey, no easier way to get hurt than by throwing your body around looking for a first down. The man has thrown the ball 450 times yet only has three rushes on the season. Even Ricky Ray has run the ball more!
dickenson-hufnagel-2016-1-800x451.jpg
Edmonton

Edmonton Eskimos fans should be thankful for the acquisition of Hamilton Tiger-Cats running back C.J. Gable. This two-time all-star is just what the Eskimos’ offence needs right now. It’s hard to win late in the year and especially in the playoffs when you can’t run the ball. Consider Edmonton’s 2016 playoffs: The Eskimos beat Hamilton 24-21 in the first round behind John White’s 160 yard rushing yards and two touchdowns. The following week against Ottawa, Edmonton fell 35-23 to Ottawa as REDBLACKS’ Kienan LaFrance outrushed White 157 yards to 66.

This year, Edmonton’s offensive attack is as about as lopsided as it gets: first in passing yards but a distant sixth in rushing. To make matters worse, Travon Van was injured against Winnipeg, forcing Jason Maas to turn to Pascal Lochard. Gable, fresh off his 157-yard performance against one of the better defences in the league in Toronto, gives Edmonton a viable weapon that can help ease Mike Reilly’s burden.

In the bigger picture, I’m thankful for this move because it shows that Edmonton is not throwing in the towel after losing its sixth straight game. Yes, the Eskimos are hurting. Yes, they have been decimated with injuries, but with the return of Derel Walker and Aaron Grymes and Mike Reilly’s ability to beat any secondary on any given day, I hated the idea of Edmonton not going for it. You’re telling me a crossover Edmonton team wouldn’t scare whoever they would be facing in the East???
Hamilton

That at 4:48 of the first quarter, Andy Fantuz made a 10-yard reception against the Argonauts on Saturday night. After suffering a devastating ACL injury in late Octoberr last year, many people wondered what the future held for Fantuz. The injury must have been even tougher to take for Andy as he had earlier set a personal high with 101 receptions and had scored the most touchdowns since 2012.

At the age of 33, it wasn’t that farfetched to wonder if Fantuz’s football career had come to an end. Instead, he rehabbed like crazy in the off-season and started his first game in nearly a year. In a season filled with disappointment, the return of Fantuz is something that Tiger-Cats fans (and all CFL fans) can be thankful for.
Montreal

Yeesh, this has been about as tough a year as it can get for any football team. Hey, it happens in the cyclical world of sports, but damn does it hurt when it’s your team in the middle of it. So I say to all Alouettes fans: sit back, pour yourself a glass of wine, ignore the upcoming doom coming for the Montreal Canadiens and enjoy the moment that Nik Lewis became the all-time leader in receptions.
Ottawa

Listen REDBLACKS fans, I get it, this year has been snakebit. You lost several games you should have won and you’re down to your third-string quarterback. Hey, it stinks. But you should be thankful that your team was involved in maybe the greatest Grey Cup of all-time. Your 2016 starting quarterback played the best single game I have ever seen from any CFL quarterback. Despite all of this, your team still is in control of its playoff destiny so you can be thankful for that.

But to get back to my point, any time you feel a little low just click on this link (Ernest Jackson‘s game-winning touchdown) and re-live one of the greatest Grey Cups of all-time.
Saskatchewan

For starters, Roughriders fans — heck, every CFL fan — should be thankful for this picture of Chris Jones sitting front and centre in Parliament Hill! I love seeing how comfortable Jones looks sitting in the Speaker’s chair in the House of Commons. I imagine him faking that he had NO interest in sitting in such a powerful/prestigious seat. “No, no Kevin Glenn you sit in this …. Well, if you insist, don’t mind if I do!” as in the back of the mind he considers an eventual run for some seat in government.

In 2016, Jones would not have received much of the popular vote (of course, really, what does it matter who won the popular vote??? …. moving on), but if the vote was held this year, he would probably win. Total credit to Jones, Glenn and the entire team for such a turnaround from an offence that was last in points scored in 2016 to third this year in both points scored and offensive touchdowns. The Roughriders’ offence has scored 37 touchdowns so far this year compared to just 27 touchdowns all of last season.

As a fan of this league, I’m just thankful the Roughriders are relevant again after two dismal seasons. The league is more fun when they’re in the conversation.
Toronto

This one is easy. Every Toronto Argonauts fan has to be thankful that Ricky Ray is healthy and is playing some of his best football. Ray played in only 12 games total the past two seasons and has already started 13 this year as he is on pace for 5,000-plus yards passing, a feat he has not accomplished since 2008! No team needs one player as much as the Argos need Ray. He’s the Carey Price of the CFL. The Argonauts have lost 10 of their past 11 games without him.

Now consider what he did to help bring Toronto back against Hamilton. With his team down 35-27 with less than two minutes to go, Ray threw two of the prettiest passes you will see all year. The first came when he was facing a third-and-18. Most teams do not convert such a down and distance. Facing serious pressure, the league’s unofficial slowest player rolled out to his right and delivered a 31-yard strike to DeVier Posey. Everyone at Tim Hortons Field had the same “How did he do that??” reaction that I did. Two plays later, Ray found Posey again in the end zone with a purrfect 25-yard pass to tie the game.
Winnipeg

Blue Bombers fans should be most thankful for the much maligned Matt Nichols. After I have spent the past two years vacillating about whether or not Matt Nichols is the dreaded “game manager,” it is time to give him his due. If you took away the name and just told me that Quarterback X was first in both touchdown passes and passer efficiency while having the lowest percentage of his passes intercepted, I would have to say this is a good quarterback.

In the bigger picture, if you then mentioned that his team was the CFL leader in offensive points scored, and that the team sported the second-best record in the CFL, I would have to say that this mysterious passer was indeed “elite.” Well, those are the numbers for Nichols, and those are the team records for the Blue Bombers. So congratulations to Nichols for ignoring all of us naysayers and having such a great season. Your fans should be really thankful to have you as their starter. Now please win at least one playoff game to get us Debbie Downer media people off this narrative.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/05/cfl-ca-wr ... -16-picks/
CFL.ca writers make their Week 16 picks

Jason Halstead/CFL.ca

CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO — As playoff races heat up, division rivalries are on hold with four cross-division encounters in Week 16.

The Bombers and Als are heavy favourites, while the writers can’t quite agree on the Saturday afternoon Argos-Riders matchup. Also, Trevor Harris returns in time for a critical confrontation in the Lions’ den.

In head-to-head matchups, the West is 24-5-1 against the East this season. Will the East get to feast this Thanksgiving weekend? Or will the West have its way once again?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAM @ WPG

The 13-point spread just doesn’t seem fair for the Ticats, yet it’s exactly the respect that’s eluded the Blue and Gold the past calendar year. Over the Bombers’ 8-1 run, Mike O’Shea’s team has averaged 34.3 points per game, with half of those eight wins coming by nine or more points.

But don’t count out the Ticats, who have played well in five games under Head Coach June Jones. All three of their wins came after Labour Day, and the team is only getting better, last week racking up 461 yards vs. the Argos.

PICK
Writers: 100% Winnipeg
Fans: 93% Winnipeg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSK @ TOR

Hopefully Trent Richardson, two weeks after signing, knows he’ll have one less down — and 10 more yards to cover — in his CFL debut vs. the Argos. The Riders’ new runner, one of the most highly-touted running back prospects ever out of college, aims to spark the league’s worst-ranked run game.

It wasn’t long ago that Marc Trestman’s team could relate, but not lately. James Wilder Jr. has led the renaissance that is Toronto’s ground game, averaging 11.2 yards per carry the last three contests while buying some much-needed extra time for the pin-point accuracy of Ricky Ray.

PICK:
Writers: 100% Toronto
Fans: 67% Saskatchewan
OTT @ BC

The timing couldn’t be better for a return under centre by Trevor Harris. While the REDBLACKS’ starting QB is averaging 310.3 yards per game this season, that number dipped to 192.0 in his three-game absence, during which Ottawa not only lost two games but also the East Division lead.

We know that a trip to the coast is never easy for an eastern foe. But after their cat nap in Week 15, the Lions may be grumpier than usual. Wally Buono’s team has lost five of its last six and needs a win to stay afloat in the highly-competitive West.

PICK
Writers: 57% BC
Fans: 77% BC
EDM @ MTL

After a combined 13 straight losses, luck’s got to change for either the Eskimos or Alouettes. The Eskimos have lost six in a row following their 7-0 streak but have now added talented and well-rounded running back C.J. Gable to their stable of dynamic weapons.

Thanksgiving, of course, is a bad time to be a bird. If the Alouettes are going to fight back in the East, it’ll have to start this week with an upset win at home — as the Als look to avoid being the hunted.

PICK
Writers: 100% Edmonton
Fans: 92% Edmonton

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The media picks ...

2017-10-05_0706.png

ZLions
Rookie

By the way guys, if anyone is at the game Saturday versus Ottawa, the Felions need help selling their last calendars so they could go to Ottawa for the Grey Cup. If anyone could help them out, purchase a calendar for themselves or a as a gift for family/friends, that would be a big help for them. The calendars are $15 each.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/05/buono-sto ... redblacks/

Wally talks about the upcoming game with Ottawa.

"I don't think it's only about Jon. We want to give him more looks. It's also about the protection, the running game, the defence."

"Ottawa is a team that does a lot of stuff. They make you work on a lot of things. They give you a lot of things to deal with." -- This fan likes that approach. Force your opponent to prepare for a variety of things.

"Last week we got our running game going."

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-foo ... 2hev0qwtms
ANN ARBOR, Mich. — Michigan lined up in quite a formation in the first quarter of the Wisconsin on Saturday. Emphasis on “lined up.”

The Wolverines lined up 10 guys in a straight line with Wilton Speight to the side late in the first quarter.

From there, Michigan went into a power formation and De'Veon Smith ran five yards to the one-yard line.
From one year ago. This fan does not think it fools anybody. After lining up in the Super I, they run to their positions, and go with the called play.

2017-10-06_0505.png