Free Agents at the end of 2017

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Totally getting ahead of myself but my optimism for the season is getting sorely tested. I need a distraction so I am wondering whose contract runs out after the season.

I know Travis is slated for free agency but for him to not be a Leo next year, in some shape or form, would be incredibly short-sighted. But other than Travis...?

Anybody have an idea who is potentially looking elsewhere next year?
The_Pauser
Legend

I believe Jennings has an out-clause for the NFL. Though he's entering his final year on his contract where he receives a huge raise up to $300k...I don't know if it's worth bringing him back at this point. He hasn't been worth anywhere close to that amount this season.
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

With the way he's serving up interceptions I doubt very many NFL teams will be interested.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hunter Steward signed only a 1 year extension. Husband and Fabian both have expiring deals, so should Valliancourt if he signed a standard 2-year rookie contract.

Only other starters I can think of are Craig Roh, David Menard and Bryant Turner as well as a couple of other 2016 rookies — Shaq Johnson and Anthony Thompson.

Barring this offence suddenly catching fire (especially against Western teams) I would hope the new GM adjusts their payroll by releasing one of the high priced receivers where far too much of their payroll is currently tied up. Chris Williams would seem like the prime candidate given he too is slated to get a salary increase in 2018.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

sure would love to see mike reilly back in lions uniform.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

For 2016 I think Jennings is due to get $300k PLUS a $60k bonus payable at the start of TC.

Had Lulay stayed healthy he would likely have been in demand as a free agent in 2018 but now I would guess he starts 2018 as a QB coach for the Lions with the understanding that he returns to the lineup when healthy, similar to what the TiCats are doing with Fantuz.

I am hoping for a new coaching staff for 2018 and that especially for FA players on offense, it becomes a reason for re-signing.
don corleone
Starter

DanoT wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 pm
hoping for a new coaching staff for 2018
Can only say as a Bomber fan new coaching staffs are not always better and new management teams often the same.

Reality is Bombers were never able to replace Cal Murphy even though 10 or so have come and gone since. Even in his best years half of Winnipeg would always be calling for him to be fired every time they lost a game and if you told Cal he was a SOB he was a good enough guy that he could smile and agree. The one constant was he always called it as he saw it. Good or bad.

Lots of similarities to be sure. Ironically Cal picked up a few more Grey Cup and maybe even a Super Bowl ring after he moved on from Winnipeg while the Bombers drought lives on.

Not saying there is not a best before date and yes change is coming. Looking at it from Wally's perspective what is in it for him. David Braley as well. Both those guys should be mortgage free by now even in Vancouver.

Anyway... just my two cents regarding an enviable situation that Lion fans have come to take for granted it appears.

Would think if Andrew Wettenhall had the chance he trades Kavis and Durant for Wally in a heartbeat and I say Montreal wins that trade. Full circle for old 39.

Lions need a win to cheer you boys up.
JohnHenry
Champion

I wonder if Jennings NFL tryout window after this season has him following the NFL more closely, studying how R. Wilson plays rather than being immersed in the CFL like he has the previous two seasons? He seems confused in his decision-making, perhaps over-looking the CFL season in preparation of his big tryout down south. Unfortunately he doesn't have the C-hocks stout OL giving him 3 or 4 seconds of time to find his receivers here. If Jon doesn't pull up his socks and get his mind in the CFL game, he might instead be looking at the Arena league.
David
Team Captain

I think everyone needs to just chill with JJ10. His second full year starting and people are ready to write him off, SMH.

No question he's having a challenging year, but I think it's more between his ears than anything else. He wasn't the same QB at the beginning of this season as he was in 2016, but the shoulder injury he suffered in Hamilton really set him back, physically and emotionally. I don't think his arm is as lively now as before he got hurt, plus I think he's been trying to do too much knowing what Travis was able to accomplish when he was starting in his place.

He does need to be a little smarter in terms of getting the ball away and not taking sacks, and not throwing into double and sometime triple coverage and always expecting his receiver to come down with the ball, but he still very young. I would certainly not write him off yet. A more consistent Oline and better play calling could help his game too.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
The_Pauser
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:46 am
I think everyone needs to just chill with JJ10. His second full year starting and people are ready to write him off, SMH.

No question he's having a challenging year, but I think it's more between his ears than anything else. He wasn't the same QB at the beginning of this season as he was in 2016, but the shoulder injury he suffered in Hamilton really set him back, physically and emotionally. I don't think his arm is as lively now as before he got hurt, plus I think he's been trying to do too much knowing what Travis was able to accomplish when he was starting in his place.

He does need to be a little smarter in terms of getting the ball away and not taking sacks, and not throwing into double and sometime triple coverage and always expecting his receiver to come down with the ball, but he still very young. I would certainly not write him off yet. A more consistent Oline and better play calling could help his game too.

DH
But the question is: is he a $300k starting QB? Can we win with him? He had problems with interceptions last year, which you can pass off as inexperience. He's looked awful this year. It'll be the key question for whoever takes over as GM.
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

When I started this thread, my optimism was at a low ebb. It pretty much has evaporated, now I just want to press reset and think of next year...Hopefully the players can press reset as well and give being a Lion one more chance.

Question for the anoraks out there....is there a source besides the league that tracks player contracts?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:11 pm
Question for the anoraks out there....is there a source besides the league that tracks player contracts?
I don't believe so. The media usually start compiling team-by-team lists of pending free agents after the season. The league releases its official list in early December.