Lions cuts

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Vaillancourt was not the same player after he came back from injury last year. Fabien earned the starting guard position and has retained it this year. Vaillancourt was given a chance to start at left guard in training camp while Foucault competed at left tackle but Foucault is clearly a better guard than tackle at this stage of his career, and he has more pro experience than Vaillancourt. Wally wants to win now. Vailancourt is just one injury away from starting. I'm not worried about hurting his development. The Lions have seven potential O-line starters, with Kelvin Palmer likely to takethe right tackle position from Antonio Johnson when Palmer recovers from his sprained ankle. It's a nice problem for the coaches to have.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Saskatchewan has signed former B.C. linebacker Cam Ontko to the practice roster. He was beaten out here by Tony Burnett and Micah Awe. I wish him well.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:15 am
Saskatchewan has signed former B.C. linebacker Cam Ontko to the practice roster. He was beaten out here by Tony Burnett and Micah Awe. I wish him well.
Happy to see Ontco getting another opportunity to play. Hope it works out well for him. If he can get on the game roster, he certainly can help out the Riders on special teams.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
BC 1988
Legend

According to 1040, NAT RB Shaquille Murray-Lawrence has just been cut by the Lions. (They are going to discuss it in the afternoon show).
David
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 pm
According to 1040, NAT RB Shaquille Murray-Lawrence has just been cut by the Lions. (They are going to discuss it in the afternoon show).
Can't say I am too surprised.

He's not Italian (rim shot!). :tease:

Seriously though, I think they were just waiting for him to recover from a concussion to part ways. He wasn't really required as a National RB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with Toronto where he's from, backing up Coombs.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:
What a shocker ! :shock:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:17 pm
BC 1988 wrote:

Seriously though, I think they were just waiting for him to recover from a concussion to part ways. He wasn't really required as a National RB. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up with Toronto where he's from, backing up Coombs.

I was thinking this was a make or break year for Murray-Lawrence. Then he looked great in camp (much better than Josh Harris) before his concussion symptoms. He never got a chance after that.
Blitz
Team Captain

David wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:

If his name was Luigi Murray Lawrence he'd be starting. :wink:

I didn't think Murray Lawrence's play over two seasons warranted him being on the roster, outside of his National status. In his rookie season, he averaged 1.5 yds. per carry and last year he averaged 3 yds. a carry. His role was limited but he had some chances to show that he had potential and he wasn't able to show that potential. He also didn't show potential on kick returns either.

But if we had an injury during a game, Rainey could play tailback and Iannuzzi or someone else could return punts for the rest of the game. Lumbala's role could also be increased during the game too. Harris would step in for anything else.

Herdman is going to take his place on the roster. Herdman, for being such a low round draft choice survived our Leos cuts and now will be on the roster for special team play. Good for him for beating the odds and getting to this point.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
David
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:20 am
David wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:

If his name was Luigi Murray Lawrence he'd be starting. :wink:
Luigi Maurizio-Lorenzo. Blessed by Pasquale and Dante. :wink:

Not sure I'm entirely comfortable with having Jeremiah Johnson returning kicks. He'll do a great job back there, but it's risky having both our running backs returning kicks IMO. Rainey is a no-brainer, but our starting tailback? Too much wear and tear. We need to keep him fresh. The guy is a star.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
I wonder if the Lions offered Ontko a PR spot which he declined in favour of a PR spot with the Riders for possibly more money and no doubt a better chance to eventually make the 46 man roster?

If Ontko stays on the Riders PR for very long, and then if Awe or Burnett were to get injured, plucking Ontko off the Riders PR and then activating him would be a nice fit for the Lions. :wink:
CardiacKid
Legend

Anyone have info on Frank Alexander's status? He isn't listed on the Leo's website. Also Jeremy Zver?
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 pm
Anyone have info on Frank Alexander's status? He isn't listed on the Leo's website. Also Jeremy Zver?
Frank Alexander made it up for the OTAs and looked very good. He was also present for the early part of camp then injured his foot. He was put on suspended list on 6/9 and went back to the States to rehab it. Except I get the sneaking suspicion that may have been the last we see of him. I hope I'm wrong, but it could have been a convenient exit strategy for both sides.

I'll try to find out more. As for Ziver, he was released and offered a PR position. No word on whether he accepted.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
The Lions suspended Alexander on June 9 and sent him home to heal his ankle injury, with his status supposedly being reviewed later this year. I doubt we'll see him back.

Zver was released on Thursday and added to the practice roster. I don't know why he's not listed on the website. It is often updated a few days late.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 pm
CardiacKid wrote:
The Lions suspended Alexander on June 9 and sent him home to heal his ankle injury, with his status supposedly being reviewed later this year. I doubt we'll see him back.

Zver was released on Thursday and added to the practice roster. I don't know why he's not listed on the website. It is often updated a few days late.
How long before Chris Jones comes calling?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
I wonder if the Lions offered Ontko a PR spot which he declined in favour of a PR spot with the Riders for possibly more money and no doubt a better chance to eventually make the 46 man roster?

If Ontko stays on the Riders PR for very long, and then if Awe or Burnett were to get injured, plucking Ontko off the Riders PR and then activating him would be a nice fit for the Lions. :wink:
Highly doubtful BC offered Ontko a PR spot Dano. He was released just after Fanfest. He didn't even make the 2nd ex-game much less final cuts.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.