Orridge Steps Down as CFL Commissioner

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

He is leaving early from his contract according to CKNW News.

Interesting timing as the season is about to start.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:He is leaving early from his contract according to CKNW News.

Which means he was fired. I wonder if there is a new commish waiting in the wings or if they will have a temp fill in while a search commences?

There is a growing list of ex CFL GMs who are out of work. OK Hervey is definitely not going to be considered but Barker or Taman???
David
Team Captain

Michael "Pinball" Clemons would be an excellent choice to succeed him.

I am less about the slick marketing/board room speak and more about finding someone with a genuine passion for the league and its future direction, a thorough understanding of all markets and their challenges and opportunities, and an undeniable charisma and ability to communicate to a younger generation. For me, Pinball checks all those boxes.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Rammer wrote:He is leaving early from his contract according to CKNW News.

Which means he was fired. I wonder if there is a new commish waiting in the wings or if they will have a temp fill in while a search commences?

There is a growing list of ex CFL GMs who are out of work. OK Hervey is definitely not going to be considered but Barker or Taman???

They agreed to part ways but not effective until June 30th.

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/04/12/statement- ... l-orridge/

TORONTO — The Board of Governors of the Canadian Football League and Commissioner Jeffrey L. Orridge have agreed to part ways with an effective date of June 30, 2017.

“In his time with the CFL, Jeffrey worked tirelessly to promote player health and safety, the integrity of the League on and off the field, and the values of diversity and inclusion,” said Jim Lawson, Chair, CFL. “Jeffrey played an important role in developing the league’s strategic plan which has, in a short time, helped to elevate some key metrics that underpin the health of the league.”
“It has been an honour to serve as CFL Commissioner and help to prepare this historic league for the future by deepening our relationship with fans and sponsors, increasing its relevance with the next generation, and expanding our reach beyond Canada,” said Jeffrey L. Orridge. “While the Board and I have differing views on the future of the league, we both believe passionately in this game, its players, its partners and its fans. I wish the CFL great success in the future.”

“On behalf of the Board of Governors we wish Jeffrey continued success and thank him for his hard work and integrity during his tenure with the CFL,” said Lawson.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

The big question is what does he mean by "have differing views on the future of the league" ?

That was the last thing I expected to hear from Orridge, who came across (to me) as trying to please everyone and indecisive. I wonder if we will ever know what he wanted to do that was blocked by The Board of Governors?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:The big question is what does he mean by "have differing views on the future of the league" ?

That was the last thing I expected to hear from Orridge, who came across (to me) as trying to please everyone and indecisive. I wonder if we will ever know what he wanted to do that was blocked by The Board of Governors?
I'd love to know too. I thought Orridge was a good commissioner who pushed boundaries but was passionate about the league and committed to improving player health and safety.

As for Pinball Clemons, he could be a public figurehead, which is his role with the Argos. I don't see him as a boardroom leader or tough negotiator, which are vital skills of a commissioner.
Blitz
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:The big question is what does he mean by "have differing views on the future of the league" ?

I'd love to know too. I thought Orridge was a good commissioner who pushed boundaries but was passionate about the league and committed to improving player health and safety.

As for Pinball Clemons, he could be a public figurehead, which is his role with the Argos. I don't see him as a boardroom leader or tough negotiator, which are vital skills of a commissioner.
Agreed B.C. Fan

We don't seem to hang on to Commissioners for very long.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
CardiacKid
Legend

Another commissioner to run afoul of the Braley, Young and Wetenhall triumvirate?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Could be in the minority on this one, but this CFL fan liked Mark Cohon.

It seems to this fan that being Commissioner of the CFL is a very tricky task. Promoter. Governor. Figurehead. Negotiator. Et cetera.

I am not sure that Orridge was much good at any of those.

I thought Cohon was very good as a figurehead and promoter. One expects he was the choice of David Braley. Nice to have that support. :wink:

Bring on the new guy.

Just IMO. Others will no doubt have different views on the situation.

Issues: player safety, concussions, grow the revenue, grow the attendance, officials, pay attention to the quality of the games (We are in good shape in that area, IMO). Keep the league as a friendly outfit, between teams, players and fans.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Michael "Pinball" Clemons would be an excellent choice to succeed him.

I am less about the slick marketing/board room speak and more about finding someone with a genuine passion for the league and its future direction, a thorough understanding of all markets and their challenges and opportunities, and an undeniable charisma and ability to communicate to a younger generation. For me, Pinball checks all those boxes.

Agree 100%
SammyGreene
Team Captain

“He impressed the CFL and the board of governors just with his background that he has in broadcast, his international experience working with major brands and his digital experience,” Winnipeg Blue Bombers president and CEO Wade Miller said Tuesday. “He’s carrying on from what Mark has done. The CFL’s in a good place, and he’s the right guy to take it to the next level.”

“He is going to be the purrfect person to work with our players, work with our fans and work with the league,” CFL board chairman Jim Lawson said. “He has the skill set to take this league to the next level.”
More specifically, Orridge’s background features – among other things – sports business, marketing, brand building, licencing, merchandising and contract negotiations.
Two quotes from the day his hiring was announced and both referenced Orridge taking the league to the next level even though the BOG was well aware he had no affliation to the league what so ever. So after 2 years it's apparent the BOG believes he hasn't taken the league anywhere and they have a difference of opinion on its future as well. This looks worse on the league than it does on Orridge.

Sure sounds like they will go the safer route the next time with candidates such as Pinball, Dwayne Ford or Glenn Suitor. But they better have fresh ideas to reach out beyond its aging fan base in most cities.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Could be in the minority on this one, but this CFL liked Mark Cohon.

It seems to this fan that being Commissioner of the CFL is a very tricky task. Promoter. Governor. Figurehead. Negotiator. Et cetera.

I thought Cohon was very good as a figurehead and promoter. One expects he was the choice of David Braley. Nice to have that support. :wink:

Bring on the new guy.

Being Commissioner of a pro sports league has to be one of the more difficult jobs on the planet. In the case of the CFL you report to 9 different bosses who often are more interested in what's good for their particular franchise than the league as a whole. Just listened to Farhan talking about one of the aspects of the CFL is that it is a small league of 9 meaning each ownership group has 11% pull in the boardroom compared to the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA where it's about 3% pull per owner. Farhan also said Cohon and Tom Wright before him also expressed a lot of frustration dealing with the small group of owners. Apparently the BOG considered 200 candidates in the last search before settling on Orridge.

Myself and 2 Eskimo fan friends had the pleasure of a few minutes of conversation with Orridge on the patio of Jimmy's Pub prior to the Lions/Esks game in the summer of 2015. He seemed well aware of the responsibilities of his position and the challenges of trying to balance the wants and desires of his 9 bosses plus those of the fans, players, CFLPA, business partners and broadcast rightsholders. I think he's done an admirable job all things considered. He had more controversial issues to deal with in the past 18 months than Cohon had to deal with in his entire term. Either that or these were issues that Cohon chose to ignore. He replaced a woefully inadequate drug policy and put some protocols in place to mitigate outright coach raiding. He had to deal with a rogue GM/HC in Saskatchewan who felt ratio rules and SMS rules around non-contracted players did not apply to the Riders. He had to deal with Hervey, Maas and mic-gate. All of these things detracted from his top priority which was to grow the business and with it the revenues.

It could be a long search as this group tries to find someone who is well versed in sports business operations, marketing, social media, technology, willing to be a yes-man to 9 stubborn owners and most importantly willing to work for a salary that is about the same as the average CFL GM.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Sure sounds like they will go the safer route the next time with candidates such as Pinball, Dwayne Ford or Glenn Suitor. But they better have fresh ideas to reach out beyond its aging fan base in most cities.
I like all of those guys but will be gravely concerned if any became the next guy. I'm from the camp that believes the Commissioner position needs to be filled by someone whose strengths are in the business aspects of the CFL. Pinball is the only one of those names who has some of that on his resume. However one has to wonder how he would do leading the league considering the problems that have plagued the Argos where he has bounced up and down the org chart from player to coach to club president, back to coach, up to CEO, down to Vice-Chair and remains with the club as Special Advisor to the current President & CEO Michael Copeland.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:Could be in the minority on this one, but this CFL liked Mark Cohon.

Bring on the new guy.

Being Commissioner of a pro sports league has to be one of the more difficult jobs on the planet. In the case of the CFL you report to 9 different bosses who often are more interested in what's good for their particular franchise than the league as a whole. Just listened to Farhan talking about one of the aspects of the CFL is that it is a small league of 9 meaning each ownership group has 11% pull in the boardroom compared to the NFL, NHL, MLB or NBA where it's about 3% pull per owner. Farhan also said Cohon and Tom Wright before him also expressed a lot of frustration dealing with the small group of owners. Apparently the BOG considered 200 candidates in the last search before settling on Orridge.

Myself and 2 Eskimo fan friends had the pleasure of a few minutes of conversation with Orridge on the patio of Jimmy's Pub prior to the Lions/Esks game in the summer of 2015. He seemed well aware of the responsibilities of his position and the challenges of trying to balance the wants and desires of his 9 bosses plus those of the fans, players, CFLPA, business partners and broadcast rightsholders. I think he's done an admirable job all things considered. He had more controversial issues to deal with in the past 18 months than Cohon had to deal with in his entire term. Either that or these were issues that Cohon chose to ignore. He replaced a woefully inadequate drug policy and put some protocols in place to mitigate outright coach raiding. He had to deal with a rogue GM/HC in Saskatchewan who felt ratio rules and SMS rules around non-contracted players did not apply to the Riders. He had to deal with Hervey, Maas and mic-gate. All of these things detracted from his top priority which was to grow the business and with it the revenues.

It could be a long search as this group tries to find someone who is well versed in sports business operations, marketing, social media, technology, willing to be a yes-man to 9 stubborn owners and most importantly willing to work for a salary that is about the same as the average CFL GM.

Orridge seemed to have all the qualifications in the world. I don't think he raised the profile of the league.

As noted, I thought Cohon was a good figurehead.
WestCoastJoe wrote:Issues: player safety, concussions, grow the revenue, grow the attendance, officials, pay attention to the quality of the games (We are in good shape in that area, IMO). Keep the league as a friendly outfit, between teams, players and fans.
Many issues. Many tasks.

Pinball? As a CFL fan, gotta luv the guy. Commissioner? Not so sure about that.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

West Coast Joe wrote:Pinball? As a CFL fan, gotta luv the guy. Commissioner? Not so sure about that.
I hear ya, WCJ. Far from a slam dunk to many, I get it. But I look at it this way. Other leagues have the big, high powered lawyer guy making money for the owners. The CFL is structured differently. It's the all-powerful Board Of Governors and their dueling self-interests. The Commish is mostly a figurehead. I'm not convinced he has much sway in the boardroom or the ability to get 9 owners or team presidents onside for much, if anything.

So as long as we have a puppet running the league, might as well have the most fan-friendly, passionate, high energy, well-liked puppet running things (but I also think he has skills in other areas and could be persuasive too if given the chance). Just my opinion. Others will see it differently of course.

Roar, You Lions, Roar