Have the Lions modified their logo for 2017?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Okay, maybe it's the off-season and I have too much time on my hands.....or perhaps I am too observant for my own good. Or maybe it's nothing at all. However, the Lions just released a new promotional video. In it, Manny is seen arriving at the club's Surrey training facility in the early morning hours, then hitting the weight room here at the :30 mark.

It's the logo on the wall of the weight room that caught my attention. It's shown ever so briefly, but I clearly saw a tweaked logo and pulled a screen grab to show you (and then used the familiar logo on the right to contrast the two). Maybe it's nothing at all, but it seems odd that so many changes would randomly be used by whoever screened it onto the paint job in the weight room.

* Overall. more of a rounded lions head
* The lion's tongue now has a black accent with more curvature
* There are 3 dots on the snout (like there used to be from 1989 - 2004)
* Black markings on the teeth
* The lion's jaws now meet (there was a slight gap before)
* Wider line on the end of the snout

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Good eye to spot that. Maybe we could look at some previous season video to see if it's a recent change.

With the Lions willy-nilly approach to the colour and design of their licensed apparel, this doesn't surprise me. The 3 dot snout was discontinued "only" 13 years ago, so it's conceivable that someone just grabbed what was around without checking if it was current (but that doesn't explain the other face modifications, maybe aging Leo decided it was time to have some work done).

Hey, why not bring back the pre-1989 dark lion? :rotf:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It seems more likely that the logo in the weight room was painted many years ago. I haven't noticed any logo changes in recent communications from the club.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Okay, maybe it's the off-season and I have too much time on my hands.....or perhaps I am too observant for my own good. Or maybe it's nothing at all. However, the Lions just released a new promotional video. In it, Manny is seen arriving at the club's Surrey training facility in early morning hours, then hitting the weight room here at the :30 mark.

It's the logo on the wall of the weight room that caught my attention. It's shown ever so briefly, but I clearly saw a tweaked logo and pulled a screen grab to show you (and then used the familiar logo on the right to contrast the two). Maybe it's nothing at all, but it seems odd that so many changes would randomly be used by whoever screened it onto the paint job in the weight room.

* Overall. more of a rounded lions head
* The lion's tongue now has a black accent with more curvature
* There are 3 dots on the snout (like there used to be from 1989 - 2004)
* Black markings on the teeth
* The lion's jaws now meet (there was a slight gap before)
* Wider line on the end of the snout

looks to me as just the old 90s logo.
David
Team Captain

No, this was their logo from 1989 - 2004. It's the one with the three dots on the muzzle. It's clearly different than the weight room image from this new video.

BC 1988 wrote:With the Lions willy-nilly approach to the colour and design of their licensed apparel, this doesn't surprise me.

LOL, true! For an organization that seems to think that every shade of orange under the sun is acceptable, as long as people are wearing "orange," nothing surprises me anymore.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Qman
Champion

David wrote:No, this was their logo from 1989 - 2004. It's the one with the three dots on the muzzle. It's clearly different than the weight room image from this new video.

BC 1988 wrote:With the Lions willy-nilly approach to the colour and design of their licensed apparel, this doesn't surprise me.

LOL, true! For an organization that seems to think that every shade of orange under the sun is acceptable, as long as people are wearing "orange," nothing surprises me anymore.

its been used in the past, because i have a pin with black tongue / teeth
David
Team Captain

Never seen it before.

Here is a history of the club's logos: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_b ... /BC_Lions/

There's a glaring omission here - the '67 - '77 snarling lion head that was featured on the helmets:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:It seems more likely that the logo in the weight room was painted many years ago. I haven't noticed any logo changes in recent communications from the club.
I would think that is the case. It was painted as the logo of the time and remains as it was save for an occasional touch up every few years to keep it looking fresh. If it's in the weight room it likely goes unnoticed. When folks walk by something multiple times a day every day of the week they tend to get oblivious to that sort of thing to the point they barely even notice the logo there much less that it might not be identical to the current one.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Never seen it before.

Here is a history of the club's logos: http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_b ... /BC_Lions/

There's a glaring omission here - the '67 - '77 snarling lion head that was featured on the helmets:

80s logo on there sportslogos.net .. they never used that logo. someone just reversed the colours on the prezim orange logo which which we have had with small tweeks for 27 years. never was a orange outline on lions head or BC, lions head was dark brown (not black) 78-90
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Never seen it before.

I'm disappointed in you David. :wink:
You were sharp as usual to pick up on the differences on the weight room wall. logo but in raising the omission of 67-77 didn't notice the helmet logos displayed in that website start with 1996. None of the helmet logos from 1954 to 1995 are shown. I looked at a couple other teams in that website. Argos first logo was 91. Stamps was 89. Looks like "recent" history is all they're showing.
CardiacKid
Legend

The logo on the weight room wall initially reminded me of a Lions rug that is for sale on Walmart.ca (https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/cfl-area-r ... 5195799652).
Not necessarily in its entirety but how the outline of the nose seems to deviate from the overall profile of the Lion's head. On the various official logos, the profile line of the top of the muzzle just continues without breaking and follows down to the mouth. The profile of the wall logo and the rug seem rather.....bumpy for lack of a better word.
A bunch of images online also suggest copyright infringers have made use of a "lumpy Lions logo".
CardiacKid
Legend

So which logo came first, the Lions original of the puma standing astride a football or the one used by the Victoria Cougars? I was conversing with a fan of the various junior hockey teams in Victoria about how the Cougars ripped off the Lions but they were very sincere in stating it was the other way around, that the Lions simply reversed the Cougars' logo and inserted a football.

Here is the Cougars logo from 1958-59...

And of course, the Lions...

Can anyone confirm which came first?
Qman
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:So which logo came first, the Lions original of the puma standing astride a football or the one used by the Victoria Cougars? I was conversing with a fan of the various junior hockey teams in Victoria about how the Cougars ripped off the Lions but they were very sincere in stating it was the other way around, that the Lions simply reversed the Cougars' logo and inserted a football.

i remember the victoria cougars had a logo with a walking yellow cat ... looked more like a bobcat or african lion, than a cougar. They might have had to change it to yellow because its looked to much like lions copyright
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I'm disappointed in you David. :wink:
You were sharp as usual to pick up on the differences on the weight room wall. logo but in raising the omission of 67-77 didn't notice the helmet logos displayed in that website start with 1996. None of the helmet logos from 1954 to 1995 are shown. I looked at a couple other teams in that website. Argos first logo was 91. Stamps was 89. Looks like "recent" history is all they're showing.
Hahaha, it was more a case of 'too many errors to mention.' For example, they show the mountain lion astride a football logo from '54-'77, but then show the next logo as '80 - '88 (huh? what happened to the 3 years?). Also, as Qman pointed out, they went with an orange and brown colour scheme in '78, so the lion's head in '78 was actually brown, not black. Etc....

Most of you know that I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to Lions logos and colours (black and orange all the way!). But I did find a logo created 5 years ago that I found really well done. Not saying I'd want the Lions to use it, but I thought the designer (a guy named "Blitz".....not our Blitz....at least I don't think! LOL) did a good job.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:So which logo came first, the Lions original of the puma standing astride a football or the one used by the Victoria Cougars? I was conversing with a fan of the various junior hockey teams in Victoria about how the Cougars ripped off the Lions but they were very sincere in stating it was the other way around, that the Lions simply reversed the Cougars' logo and inserted a football.

It would probably take more digging. According to the link David provided the Lions started using that logo on Day 1 back in 1954. I looked up Victoria Cougars in HockeyDB. There have been several renditions of the Cougars over the years. There was the old PCHA turned WCHL team back in the 1920s. In that era the winner of that league played against the NHL winner for the Stanley Cup. Those Victoria Cougars defeated the Montreal Canadiens to win the 1925 Stanley Cup. They were the last west coast team to win the Cup until Anaheim pulled the trick. The league folded in 1926 with the rights of the players' contracts winding up in Detroit to be the Detroit Cougars then Falcons then Red Wings.

The logo you're showing comes from the Victoria Cougar version that started in the Pacific Coast Hockey League in 1949. That league became the Western Hockey League for the 1952-53 season. It was the same league the Canucks played in prior to joining the NHL. The Cougars played in that league until 1961 before moving to LA to become the LA Blades.

From HockeyDB it appears the Victoria Cougars may have used that logo for only the 1958-59 season.
http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/victoria-cougars-8813.html

In John Virtanen's book "Thrown to the Lions" there's evidence of the Lion paw on football logo on a 1958 Puriton Products promotion ad offering free photos of BC Lions (page 148). On page 107 there at copies of club newsletters. The Lion shows faintly on the cover of "B.C.Lions Off Tackle Slants". On both sides of the newletter title are squares containing the words "Season Tickets are your best buy for '55". I think there's enough evidence that BC used the logo as far back as 1954 so I'd need some sort of evidence that Victoria used something similar in 1953 or earlier.