Vintage Lions jersey #66 up for auction on Ebay

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Interestingly, the owner of this jersey is playing up the fact that it's Emery Barnes's jersey, as well as the 1964 Grey Cup win. There's just one problem. Emery Barnes never wore it (he never played in the 1964 Grey Cup game either, but that's another story).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-1964-BC-Li ... Sw4CFYvHvJ

The Leos wore this jersey design (a burnt orange TV shoulder stripe) from 1964 - 1969. However, if you look closely you can see an orange and white striped collar. This detail was not added until the 1967 season. In which case Trev Ekdahl would have worn this #66 jersey. It's a cool piece, but it's not worth anywhere close to $4,966 US. :shock:

There's a vintage Tiger-Cats' Tommy Joe Coffey jersey up for auction that's not moving at $3,250 US (it's been reduced by $500). It's in much better shape than the Lions' one. Respectfully, Coffey had a much bigger impact on the game than either Barnes or Ekdahl.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hamilton-Tiger-C ... Sw6dNWS1Yu

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
QB Club 63
All Star

Updated yesterday, the listing now shows that the #66 jersey was sold. I'm not familiar with Ebay so I don't know if that means someone actually paid $5K for it (with shipping) or the offer was removed or had expired.
David
Team Captain

I just hope a family member did not pony up the $6K for that jersey as I will tell anyone who will listen (including the seller) that Emery Barnes never touched that jersey. It was the late Trev Ekdahl's.

An average CFL jersey from that era is worth about $1,000 to $1,500 at best. Star players a few thousand. They are a huge bargain compared to hockey. A guy had a Hamilton jersey on Ebay last year for $5k and the price dropped steadily, finally selling for about $700 (condition issues). But hey, if someone is welling to shell out that much then it was priced right I suppose. Again, they may have paid that because Emery was an important British Columbian and they thought he wore it in the Grey Cup (he didn't play).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar