Lions and RP21 part ways

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

According to multiple sources, Ryan is leaving the Leos after 12 seasons. Apparently, he and Wally could not agree on role and pay cut. Announcement coming tomorrow morning.

We're definitely going to miss his veteran presence and leadership with Bighill now gone too. Was hoping we could move him to situational safety and play Parker on the corner full time.

I appreciate all of his years service as a Lion. One of the best DBs we've ever had. Definitely should go up on the Ring Of Honour.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great cover guy. Great ball hawk.

One of the all time Lions. With his skill set and speed, it was possible to accept that he sometimes played kind of a no hitter. Overall a very effective DB, class character and team leader.

I agree that it is too bad a deal could not be worked out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Phillips has been a great ambassador for the team and role model for younger players. I always appreciated seeing his family, in their No. 21 Phillips jerseys, who would drive up from Seattle for home games.

The parting of the ways is no surprise. It's time. He can no longer make plays on the ball, as we saw last year when he had only one interception and opponents repeatedly targeted him on deep balls. Phillips, like former teammates Dante Marsh and Korey Banks before him, isn't ready to go quietly, and Wally isn't prepared to pay him what he thinks he's still worth. Phillips says he hopes to play for another team in free agency. I wish him the best in whatever he decides.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Assuming this is all true, I will miss him -- Ryan the person, a fine Leo -- and besides his smart play on the field for all these years, enjoyed his rapid-fire interviews that inevitably included a few of his "Phillipsisms" -- and though he got some entirely good-natured ribbing for 'em time to time, there's one -- "...at the end of the day..." -- that seems so apropos and rather poignant tonight... Happy trails, good man! Bless you. How I loved to watch you in your hey-day turning those passes into interceptions. Thanks for being here.
David
Team Captain

Despite saying last season that he didn't want to play anywhere else and wanted to finish his career a Lion, RP evidently had second thoughts.

Does this whole thing surprise me? No. Just kind of surprised it's taken this long (thought this day would come in December).

Think about it. Wally has a history of asking (telling?) long-in-the-tooth vets to take a pay cut and reduced role (or in the case of Paul McCallum, "why don't you retire?"). Heck, the "mentor for less" speech was even given to Geroy IIRC. You also knew that someone was going to pay the price for the team low 9 INTs by the defense, of which Ryan had but 1. We also saw mounting evidence of him getting picked on this past year. This is not to say he can't play at a high level. I am sure he will be offered a contract somewhere. But it's hard to imagine him coming out much further ahead now that he has to move to a new city (apartment rental, vehicle to get around etc).

Really upset he isn't going out a Lion as he was one of my favourites.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

One of the Lions great but "at the end of the day" it's a business. Really enjoyed his interviews.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

It is time.
CardiacKid
Legend

There was conjecture floating around out there that Ryan was not going to be playing this upcoming season. But part of that included talk that he was going to transition to the coaching staff; in fact I thought the Lions had created an additional coaching position on the defensive side of the ball at the expense of the running backs coach position filled by Adam Blasetti last year?

I really do hope that the parting of ways was at least respectfully done so Ryan is open to returning in another capacity. I think his leadership qualities, ability to mentor and also teach would benefit the team.

We always got a kick out of his family cheering on the team from the stands, particularly his mom and aunties :) Hopefully we will see them back at BC Place cheering him on while he patrols the sidelines.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:There was conjecture floating around out there that Ryan was not going to be playing this upcoming season. But part of that included talk that he was going to transition to the coaching staff; in fact I thought the Lions had created an additional coaching position on the defensive side of the ball at the expense of the running backs coach position filled by Adam Blasetti last year?

I really do hope that the parting of ways was at least respectfully done so Ryan is open to returning in another capacity. I think his leadership qualities, ability to mentor and also teach would benefit the team.

We always got a kick out of his family cheering on the team from the stands, particularly his mom and aunties :) Hopefully we will see them back at BC Place cheering him on while he patrols the sidelines.

Not sure Phillips viewed it that way.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account
‏@NEWS1130Sports

Phillips : "The role and paycut was a slap in the face, the options were disrespectful for the time I put in." #BCLions
BC 1988
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:There was conjecture floating around out there that Ryan was not going to be playing this upcoming season. But part of that included talk that he was going to transition to the coaching staff; in fact I thought the Lions had created an additional coaching position on the defensive side of the ball at the expense of the running backs coach position filled by Adam Blasetti last year?

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Phillips : "The role and paycut was a slap in the face, the options were disrespectful for the time I put in." #BCLions
This interview on 1040 (between 10-11am) shows RP was upset. He tried to control it on the air, but you can certainly sense his disappointment.
http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040- ... y-1.668853
CardiacKid
Legend

Lion Guy wrote:

‏@NEWS1130Sports

Ouch......well so much for that hope.
I guess there is never a good way to do this but it sucks he is leaving with such a bad taste in his mouth.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:I guess there is never a good way to do this but it sucks he is leaving with such a bad taste in his mouth.
It happens to most great players. Geroy Simon, Jason Clermont, Korey Banks and Dante Marsh are just a few who have gone through the process of being told they're no longer viewed as starters. If the team tries to offer them a soft landing to transition to a backup role or coaching position or trade them to a team that will allow them to play, they view it as a slap in the face. Philips will get over it. He will always be appreciated as a great B.C. Lion, no matter what happens in the short term.
David
Team Captain

Takeaways from the TSN1040 interview with Sekeres:
  1. Quite a lot of venting - he is genuinely upset and hurt by developments. Hasn't slept much these last few nights. Thinks what has transpired doesn't reflect all that he's done for the organization (i.e. grooming young guys, leadership, compromising on previous contracts).
  2. Said contract offer was more in line with being a 3rd year BC Lion, not a 12 year vet. Club would not guarantee any starting position either.
  3. He'll explore FA options elsewhere, but if nothing comes of those, is prepared to retire. Said he will retire a BC Lion.
  4. Still has utmost respect for Wally. Spoke really highly of him and all they've been through together (that was classy). :thup:
  5. Also praised Geroy for reaching out to him (but obliquely referred to some others in the organization as not stepping up for him since this went down. Not sure what that meant or about whom he was referring).
  6. Thanked BC Lions fans, coaches, former teammates, and organization.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

David wrote:Takeaways from the TSN1040 interview with Sekeres:

[*]He'll explore FA options elsewhere, but if nothing comes of those, is prepared to retire. Said he will retire a BC Lion.

[*]Still has utmost respect for Wally. Spoke really highly of him and all they've been through together (that was classy). :thup:

That is certainly enheartening. I agree that Ryan's season last year wasn't in keeping with what he has accomplished on the field in the past but I think he could go very far as a coach and would be an excellent member of the Leo's football brain trust. I am keeping my fingers crossed that he returns in an off-field capacity.