Lack of Activity

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Should we be surprised? Concerned? It seems we have a lot of work to do still.
maxlion
Legend

Traditionally, free agents have been able to use their status to milk a few extra dollars out of their team. Teams like veterans, and loyalty and recognition are important. This year there are so many free agents that there isn't enough money for the extra dollars except for a few key players (Elimimian for example). Players won't sign early for less, and teams can't give premiums to everyone. So stalemate until February. Eventually, many veteran players will need to to work for less or find other work. Its the same all around the league.
Qman
Champion

typically their is this dead period as the teams and players play chicken on where the market is.

then you get a bunch a signings on the Feb 12 & 13th and rest head to full free agency
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I think a lot has to do with the number of players on the pending FA list who are still doing the NFL tryout tour. They are no doubt important pieces to the offseason puzzle position and SMS-wise. What happens to them in terms of NFL interests has a bearing on what sort of money a GM can have to work with for the rest of his pending FAs as well as those who will be available come Feb.14th. It also will have a bearing on positional priorities. Retain a key player at a given position and maybe you let another pending FA at the same position walk. Lose that key player to the NFL and maybe that other pending FA becomes a guy to be retained.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I would say the club is MORE active this year in announcing US free agent signings. They usually back end these announcements until after their free agent tryout camps, it seems to me.

As for existing CFL free agents? They're going to have to negotiate wisely. All-stars like Solly and the Stamps' LT Dennis don't have to worry. Clubs will back up the Brinks truck to pay them. The simply "good" players though? They may be in for a disappointment and better decide sooner rather than later on the offers, or the money could very well dry up. Supply and demand. There are just too many FAs flooding the market across the CFL. Some players are going to be very disappointed, IMHO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to the CFL Free Agent Tracker, the Stampeders have been most active this offseason, extending 10 pending free agents. The Riders have been least active, extending just one. The Lions have extended six: Solomon Elimimian, Jeremiah Johnson, Rolly Lumbala, Keynan Parker, Mike Benson and Nehemie Kankolongo.

Here is a list of extensions by team:
CAL 10
WIN 7
BC 6
MTL 5
OTT 5
TOR 4
HAM 2
EDM 2
SAS 1
Qman
Champion

saw this on twitter last night

this is who is left to sign if this guy has his info right.

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
20 days to Feb14th

#bclions remaining D FAs:
Must sign: Brooks, one of Westerman/Lokombo
Please: Yell, Lee
Probable: Roh
Meh: Turner

#bclions remaining O FAs:
Must sign: Burnham
Please: Steward
Probable: Iannuzzi
Meh: Allen, Moore (knee), Sinkfield
CardiacKid
Legend

Qman wrote:saw this on twitter last night

this is who is left to sign if this guy has his info right.

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport
20 days to Feb14th

#bclions remaining D FAs:
Must sign: Brooks, one of Westerman/Lokombo
Please: Yell, Lee
Probable: Roh
Meh: Turner

#bclions remaining O FAs:
Must sign: Burnham
Please: Steward
Probable: Iannuzzi
Meh: Allen, Moore (knee), Sinkfield
Myself I would swap Roh and Turner's spots and put Yell and Lee in the must signs (if they are recovered). I hope the hell Lokombo returns because the team was crapping horseshoes the day he wasn't drafted by the NFL.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

IMO Bo Lokumbo and Hunter Steward as NATs are the most difficult to replace and thus the most important to re-sign.

Brooks may be looking for too much $ and so Turner might get re-signed instead . I fear that the Riders with a low talent , low cost roster and a suspect D line, might have the cap space to go after Brooks.