Lions ownership discussion thread (Topics merged into here)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Farhan Lalji was just on a Grey Cup pre-game panel with Gary Lawless and David Naylor in which he talked about the potential sale of the Lions.

He said that David Braley hasn't formally put the team up for sale, but he is getting older and wasn't able to make it out to any games this year. There are 4 interested local groups led by Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini and local investment banker David Sidoo. Braley has reportedly wanted $40M for the club, but willing to go down to $35M - still about $15M more than any of the groups are willing to pay. There hasn't been a formal sale process decided yet, but that's expected to begin in the New Year.

This is great news IMO. The club badly needs an injection of fresh blood and a new, bold direction. I have long maintained that businessman/philanthropist David Sidoo would be the purrfect fit - he's a deep pocketed football guy (played at UBC and Roughriders in the '80s) and has been largely instrumental in the turnaround of the moribund UBC football program by getting Blake Nill to the Point Grey campus. I recently introduced myself to him at a local coffee shop. First class guy. :thup:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sidoo could be a good fit. He seems to have strong community ties, deep pockets and a love of football.
The_Pauser
Legend

Sidoo could be a good fit, but I don't want Aquilini anywhere near this team. The Aquilini's would probably make the Glieberman's look like good owners.
Roar you Lions roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

With a club president who wanted out and a GM/coach on verge of retirement this can't happen soon enough.

Braley should take the $20 million and be happy. If the trend of lower ratings for all TV sports continues as streaming is the chosen option over cable continues then it will be hard to see the value of CFL broadcasting rights continuing to rise or even remain status quo. At least there is a small increase this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I agree with others that Davis Sidoo would be a good choice. Don't want the Aquilini's anywhere near the Lions
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sidoo #1

Aquilini #2

Either is fine with me. Just get it done. Deep pockets needed. Take the $20 M. I don"t think CFL football is a money making proposition. More of a rich guy's toy. Sidoo would be a godsend. Sounds like Braley wants to recoup longtime losses. Good luck with that. Best to wait him out. Can't see him getting his asking price.

Ownership/management/coaching is moribund at this time. New ownership can give a boost.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
louharris74
Rookie

Sidoo was in my Economics 100 class at UBC 37 years ago. I remember him well. Friendly guy. May have not been the best student at the time but he sure has done well. I believe his Dad passed away while he was in school, playing for the T Birds. Would take a lot of perseverance to move on from that.

Agree with the others, if Mr. Sidoo has the resources I would prefer him, a football guy, over the Aquilini's. But anyone with deep pockets and a passion for the local sports teams would be o.k. with me.
louharris74
Rookie

Yikes ... it was 38 years ago ... More proof of the Lions current fan base demographic ...
The_Pauser
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Sidoo #1

Aquilini #2

Either is fine with me. Just get it done. Deep pockets needed. Take the $20 M. I don"t think CFL football is a money making proposition. More of a rich guy's toy. Sidoo would be a godsend. Sounds like Braley wants to recoup longtime losses. Good luck with that. Best to wait him out. Can't see him getting his asking price.

Ownership/management/coaching is moribund at this time. New ownership can give a boost.
If Aquilini buys the team you will regret saying that he would be fine by you. The Aquilini's value money above all, and like we've seen with the Canucks it wouldn't surprise me to see them getting involved in football operations. I have legitimate fears that the Lions would fold if the Aquilini's ever had anything to do with the team.
Roar you Lions roar!
Qman
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:With a club president who wanted out and a GM/coach on verge of retirement this can't happen soon enough.

Braley should take the $20 million and be happy. If the trend of lower ratings for all TV sports continues as streaming is the chosen option over cable continues then it will be hard to see the value of CFL broadcasting rights continuing to rise or even remain status quo. At least there is a small increase this season.
problem with braley asking $40m is last 5 years he has made over $20 million on two vancouver grey cups and $1-$3m a year on the lions. Lets call it $28M. Problem is he has taken all that money back to hamilton ... and donated to universities and such ... and hasn't reinvested it in the lions infrastructure.
Its not like the eskimos which are sitting on $20M in cash and recently built and $120m practice facility.
Or the riders which have $30mil in the bank.

He can't ask for that if he is not reinvesting in the business.
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:I agree with others that Davis Sidoo would be a good choice. Don't want the Aquilini's anywhere near the Lions
don't know that Sidoo is that rich especially with the fall in the oil&gas market. Definately weathly, but not Braley or Aquilini rich.

Definately synergies with the Canucks. The seasons are almost opposite. You can use all the back office staff (marketing, ticketing, accounting, sponsorship, group sales) 12mos a year instead of 8mos. With the C$ where it is now, i think the canucks are not as profitable as they have been.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

Aquilini #2

If Aquilini buys the team you will regret saying that he would be fine by you. The Aquilini's value money above all, and like we've seen with the Canucks it wouldn't surprise me to see them getting involved in football operations. I have legitimate fears that the Lions would fold if the Aquilini's ever had anything to do with the team.
You always speak against the Aquilini family. I always say I don't mind them. I don't regret them owning the Canucks. Deep pockets. Committed ownership. The value of their team is high. They have contended for the Stanley Cup. Sellouts. They are solid owners. Let's not go round and round. I like the sound of Sidoo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Qman
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

Aquilini #2

You always speak against the Aquilini family. I always say I don't mind them. I don't regret them owning the Canucks. Deep pockets. Committed ownership. The value of their team is high. They have contended for the Stanley Cup. Sellouts. They are solid owners. Let's not go round and round. I like the sound of Sidoo.
its better that all these guys take a share, then they have 5 or 6 groups out in the city promoting the club and have a vested interest. Like the stamps 10 years ago, before the stamps started buying everyone out. Also then you don't have ownership getting involved in football ops
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

New ownership at any cost...time for Braley to ride off into the sunset, and take his lame sidekick with him when he goes!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:New ownership at any cost...time for Braley to ride off into the sunset, and take his lame sidekick with him when he goes!
Careful what you wish for. It could be worse, ALOT worse.