Uniform Poll Question - Reebok or Adidas?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Now that you've seen the new uniforms, which would you choose?

A) Lose them! There was nothing wrong with the previous design, especially with the futuristic 3rd uniform (which we may never see again).
51%
B) Keep them! This is an attractive, slick, and futuristic design, and it's a way to reach out to younger fans.
49%

Total votes: 43
David
Team Captain

Simple choice, Lionbackers. Our Leos could continue to wear the orange (with black and white) Reebok design they've worn for the past number of years (plus, for special occasions, the Gun Metal uniforms with paw print helmet etc.). In other words, status quo; nothing changes....

OR

Wear this new Adidas/Rich Koh design, unveiled today, exactly as you see it.

Which would you choose?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David, I can't vote for either option. I love the traditional orange but hated the black-on-black numbering of the gun-metal jerseys, as you know. I'm glad that jersey died long before Adidas got involved.
David
Team Captain

I understand you didn't care for them B.C.FAN, and I respect that. I only included the 3rds in the poll to put these choices in proper context. We already had a futuristic design, but it was just for special occasion games (at least that was the initial intent), which I think most on this board were okay with.

You can still participate (just pretend the Gun Metals aren't on there then). :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:I understand you didn't care for them B.C.FAN, and I respect that. I only included the 3rds in the poll to put these choices in proper context. We already had a futuristic design, but it was just for special occasion games (at least that was the initial intent), which I think most on this board were okay with.

You can still participate (just pretend the Gun Metals aren't on there then). :wink:

Maybe should've split it up to make the gun-metal 3rds a third option David. Including the 3rds in the first option effectively muddies the poll waters by giving 2 reasons to choose it and only 1 reason to opt for the second. B.C.FAN isn't enamoured with them. Others certainly love them to the point of wanting them to be the every-game home jersey. They might choose option 1 not because of the main jersey but only because of the love for the 3rd jersey. Myself I ignored the reference to the 3rd jersey because IMO the battle is strictly between the old orange and the new orange.

Personally I was blown away by the gun-metals when they were unveiled. Now it's meh. That's mostly because I'm a believer that 3rd or alternate jerseys are created with the intent of being a money grab. 2 years max should be the life expectancy of any 3rd jersey that doesn't get promoted to main jersey. Once the initial impact has been made I think the club, no matter what sport, should crap or get off the thundermug and either make the 3rd jersey their prime jersey or make it disappear.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

My 18 year old son gives the new home jerseys a big thumbs up so I guess that is a good thing. I admit I wasn't crazy about them initially but the home jersey is growing on me more and more. Like many, would rather see the team logo removed from the back and on each shoulder instead of the numbers.

There was clearly an intention to make the away jersey vastly different and tradition be damned. You rarely see away jerseys at Lions games so my hunch is they wanted to provide a different look, including the shade of orange, to perk up sales. To me it still needs some black involved, whether the number or trimming.

Agree to with the comments of how the replicas are so vastly different compared to the authentic jerseys. The way the sleeves come down, they look more like t-shirts. Just wish there was an option.

Regardless of a opinion, a big day for the club and league to begin the countdown to the coming season. Lions did a great job of reaching out to all the media outlets yesterday.
squishy35
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:My 18 year old son gives the new home jerseys a big thumbs up so I guess that is a good thing. I admit I wasn't crazy about them initially but the home jersey is growing on me more and more. Like many, would rather see the team logo removed from the back and on each shoulder instead of the numbers.

There was clearly an intention to make the away jersey vastly different and tradition be damned. You rarely see away jerseys at Lions games so my hunch is they wanted to provide a different look, including the shade of orange, to perk up sales. To me it still needs some black involved, whether the number or trimming.

Agree to with the comments of how the replicas are so vastly different compared to the authentic jerseys. The way the sleeves come down, they look more like t-shirts. Just wish there was an option.

Regardless of a opinion, a big day for the club and league to begin the countdown to the coming season. Lions did a great job of reaching out to all the media outlets yesterday.

The more I look at them the more I like them. I think the fans will be happy with the road uni's once seen in game action and on live TV or in person.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Maybe should've split it up to make the gun-metal 3rds a third option David. Including the 3rds in the first option effectively muddies the poll waters by giving 2 reasons to choose it and only 1 reason to opt for the second. B.C.FAN isn't enamoured with them. Others certainly love them to the point of wanting them to be the every-game home jersey. They might choose option 1 not because of the main jersey but only because of the love for the 3rd jersey. Myself I ignored the reference to the 3rd jersey because IMO the battle is strictly between the old orange and the new orange.
I get your point Dale, but we'll have to agree to disagree. There's no way the gun metals would make their way to an everyday uniform. They were strictly a 3rd uniform for big games (hell, we hardly saw them enough as it was!). Therefore, it would be misleading to include them in the poll. Perhaps I could have structured the poll it as:

* Reebok orange
* Reebok orange with gun metal 3rds for special occasions
* Adidas

However, I think most fans (B.C.FAN notwithstanding) could live with a gun metal option as part of the old package.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

squishy35 wrote:The more I look at them the more I like them. I think the fans will be happy with the road uni's once seen in game action and on live TV or in person.
That's just it--it's too hard to picture such a different concept in a static photo shoot (it doesn't help that Jennings looks like he wasn't given any direction for the shots--very blah poses).

The white lion is hard to get my head around. I really liked the dark lion of pre-1989 (as you can see from my avatar). The current primary mark is at least realistic, but the white lion might look like a pale (pardon the pun) imitation.

I voted yes to Adidas only because of how nice the home kit is. I think most of us are dumping on the roads because at first glance it's seems so inferior in execution.

It will either be June 11th (at SSK) or July 1st (at HAM) before we get to see the roads in game action. I would expect BC will want to wear their home unis through both pre-season games though. Does anyone know how it's decided who wears what?
dtrain
Starter

Let me be the first to make the comparison of the new helmet logo to the Canucks Free Willy logo.
Thumbs down.

Some other thoughts:
Homes: I like the general orange/black look, a real tip of the hat to the Meralomas.
I guarantee though that people will complain about the readability of the black numbers.

Roads: Big thumbs down - who is that team?
Look nothing like the BC Lions.

And last: HUGE thumbs down to that stupid placement of the logo at the bottom of the back of both jerseys.
Riders had it last year, probably got tons of complaints, and ditched it this year.
It just screams out: "but guys, we have to put the logo somewhere!?"
Hambone
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote:I voted yes to Adidas only because of how nice the home kit is.
Why is it I start to squirm and feel uneasy when I hear that term in these pages? "Kit" is so, so that other brand of football with the round ball and shorts. Used to be "kit" was a term associated with tools or lunch. :wink:
Last edited by Hambone on Fri May 13, 2016 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:Roads: Big thumbs down - who is that team?
Look nothing like the BC Lions.

And last: HUGE thumbs down to that stupid placement of the logo at the bottom of the back of both jerseys.
Riders had it last year, probably got tons of complaints, and ditched it this year.
It just screams out: "but guys, we have to put the logo somewhere!?"
Below the shoulders there isn't much difference between the new roads and the old. No stripe on the pants and no black border on the numbers is the only notable change. The noticeable change comes from the shoulders up with the orange shoulder caps and orange bucket w/new helmet logo.

I don't like the tramp stamp logo either. Being the old logo and the overall changes to the jerseys and helmet it just looks totally out of place there. Given the changes to the helmet I think if there's a desire to have a tramp stamp a black version of the helmet logo on the homes or an orange version on the roads would look more in place. General consensus across fan forums seems to be the vast majority hate them period no matter whose jersey and what logo is placed there.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
BC 1988 wrote:I voted yes to Adidas only because of how nice the home kit is.
Why is it I start to squirm and feel uneasy when I hear that term in these pages? "Kit" is so, so that other brand of football with the round ball and shorts. Used to be "kit" was a term associated with tools or lunch. :wink:
LOL--I put that in just for you. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

dtrain wrote:Homes: I like the general orange/black look, a real tip of the hat to the Meralomas.
I guarantee though that people will complain about the readability of the black numbers.
This is vastly better than the illegible gun-metal numbers but I'm curious to see how the names and numbers show up on TV and in the stadium from 50 yards away.

A basic principle of graphic design is to place light-coloured text/numbers on a dark background for best legibility. White numbers and nameplates are much more legible on an orange jersey.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I'll reserve judgment til I see the uniforms in person. Pictures can be deceiving.
D
Team Captain

Like we have a say :tease:
I thought the reeboks were kind of lame other than the gun metal 3rd ... So I voted for the new look even tho I'm not fond of the white version :2cents:
I own The Grey Cup! .com