2015 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I was at a private birthday party last week at Craft brew pub (Olympic Village). There was an older couple there (early or mid-60's?) that were long time Lions season ticket holders that decided to renew this year and don't seem to regret it. There must be a sh*t load of people that fall under this category.

I asked them why and interestingly it wasn't price. It was that the games seemed to drag on so long with all the penalties and stoppages etc. They just grew tired of the 3+ hour games (I joked that 'at least you get your money's worth'!). They also weren't enamoured of Chapdelaine's offense (although I am not certain they realized that he wasn't the OC last year).

DH :cool:
??? Don't you mean they chose NOT to renew ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I like the jersey offer. I don't know if I'll renew by the end of the month but the offer is a bargain. My end zone seats are going up by 70 cents a game to $32.33 next year, all in. The jersey is worth a lot more than the extra $21 I'll pay for my three seats. My biggest issue this year has been the schedule. This week's game will be my first since July. I'm only available on Fridays and Saturdays. If the Lions play on other days of the week, my tickets are worthless.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
David wrote:I was at a private birthday party last week at Craft brew pub (Olympic Village). There was an older couple there (early or mid-60's?) that were long time Lions season ticket holders that decided to renew this year and don't seem to regret it. There must be a sh*t load of people that fall under this category.

I asked them why and interestingly it wasn't price. It was that the games seemed to drag on so long with all the penalties and stoppages etc. They just grew tired of the 3+ hour games (I joked that 'at least you get your money's worth'!). They also weren't enamoured of Chapdelaine's offense (although I am not certain they realized that he wasn't the OC last year).

??? Don't you mean they chose NOT to renew ?
I think he really meant NOT but omitted this negation in a typo, not an uncommon one.

And I would agree with the whole game-too-long thing. I know the league publishes stats that games are often done in under 3hrs but that clock only starts ticking from the moment of the opening kickoff, which can be ten or more minutes past the billed start. People are used to a broadcast that usually wraps in 3hrs including everything from initial sign-on to the kickoff all the way to the final gun and sign-off so it can get annoying when you're at the game in person and it drags on beyond this. The nature of the game clock timing rules after the 3MW can also sometimes enhance the impression of a slow moving game in the late stages if the entertainment value (blowout result) isn't there on that particular night.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
David
Team Captain

Sorry, I typed that quickly without proof reading. Yes, of course, I meant the couple chose NOT to renew this season.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
dupsdell1
Champion

Did you hear the Penalties in NFL are up huge this year having the same problem as the CFL to many coaches are not being disciplined enough with the players at practice .

You never hear any NFL fans saying the game drags on too many penalties , that might change this year.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

dupsdell1 wrote:

Did you hear the Penalties in NFL are up huge this year having the same problem as the CFL to many coaches are not being disciplined enough with the players at practice .

You never hear any NFL fans saying the game drags on too many penalties , that might change this year.
I do hear NFL fans saying the game drags on too many commercials , so yeah that would be a change this year.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:Did you hear the Penalties in NFL are up huge this year having the same problem as the CFL to many coaches are not being disciplined enough with the players at practice .

I do hear NFL fans saying the game drags on too many commercials , so yeah that would be a change this year.
Yet all we hear about is the CFL. I was looking at game times in the NFL game books that were available from Week 2. None went to OT.
3:23
3:38
2:52
3:08
3:09
3:16
3:18
3:25
3:17
3:13
3:26
3:04

I haven't paid much attention to exactly when CFL games have been finishing to be able to compare but I don't think any drag much beyond 3 hours, maybe 3:10 as worst case. I recall looking at my watch late in a couple of the games in Vancouver thinking it looked like they'd wrap up around 3 hours after kickoff.

Folks like to blame the hankies and commercials. A bigger factor IMO than flags is video replay. Every challenge chews up time. The more things they allow to be challenged the more challenge opportunities. In both leagues coaches are also allowed more challenges. Now they automatically review all turnovers and scoring plays causing more delays. The review process has become more efficient than it was in the early days but nonetheless a lot of time is lost to video review.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Looks like coach's sideline seats have jumped to $72 per game and for that I get a soon to be discontinued jersey lol
Different teams have different structures for their sideline sections. FWIW my particular seat Section 242 Row O Seat 5 is priced cheaper in BC Place than it would be in Calgary, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Ottawa or Montreal. Saskatchewan would be slightly cheaper if I paid up front under the early bird thing but more if I didn't. Edmonton would be cheaper at just over $600 but IMO the value is not the same. Track = being 40' farther back from the action. No 82' HD screen and no protection from elements. Speaking from experience and anecdotally it is a guarantee at least 1 or 2 games in the summer at Commonwealth will get rained on, if not poured upon at some point. I've been there in July and August when the games have been halted for weather. And of course it ain't exactly 20 degrees climate controlled in late October/early November. I'd much rather pay $72 to be sitting 15 rows off the field on the 45 in BC Place than $60 in Commonwealth.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Yet all we hear about is the CFL. I was looking at game times in the NFL game books that were available from Week 2. None went to OT.
3:23
3:38
2:52
3:08
3:09
3:16
3:18
3:25
3:17
3:13
3:26
3:04

I haven't paid much attention to exactly when CFL games have been finishing to be able to compare but I don't think any drag much beyond 3 hours, maybe 3:10 as worst case. I recall looking at my watch late in a couple of the games in Vancouver thinking it looked like they'd wrap up around 3 hours after kickoff.
I'm not sure of the variance for individual games, but on average CFL games this year have taken 2:53 to play. The length of games has been consistent between 2:53 and 2:55 for the past five years. TSN allots a three-hour window for each game, and most seem to wrap up within that time period. I've noticed some doubleheaders where the early game runs right up to kickoff in the late game but those games seem to be exceptions.
dupsdell1
Champion

sj-roc wrote:
dupsdell1 wrote:

Plus so many flags this in the NFL
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

On the subject of speeding up games, in last nights NFL game the TV guys commented on how the coach's call for a measurement enabled the coach to consider if they should punt or gamble and what play they should call. In other words it is another time out. I like the way the new CFL rule does not allow a HC to call for a measurement as it puts more pressure on the HC to be on top of things and make a quick punt or gamble decision and it speeds up the game. :beauty:
Rocko604
Rookie

So I've never been disappointed by the Huskies marching band when I've gone down for UDub games. They're not Ohio State, but they're still good. I doubt they're going to choreograph anything huge, but hopefully it's a worthy performance. I won't be at the game unfortunately but I hope they play Roar You Lions Roar. Would sound pretty cool by a band that size.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rocko604 wrote: I won't be at the game unfortunately but I hope they play Roar You Lions Roar. Would sound pretty cool by a band that size.
It would be really confusing if they bust out Bow Down To Washington. Louie Louie and /or Tequila are pretty much a lock though.
Rocko604
Rookie

Lions4ever wrote:
Rocko604 wrote: I won't be at the game unfortunately but I hope they play Roar You Lions Roar. Would sound pretty cool by a band that size.
It would be really confusing if they bust out Bow Down To Washington. Louie Louie and /or Tequila are pretty much a lock though.
Mighty are the men who wear the white and the orange. :beauty:
David
Team Captain

According to Jamie Pitblado (Director of Fan Engagement) who was on with Sekeres and Price this morning, the Huskies marching band will play pre-game as well as half-time (so they're encouraging fans to arrive early).

Said they're a couple of thousand shy of a sell out but tickets moving well and with a good walk-up could completely sell out. When asked what a lower bowl sell-out is, he said 26,400 (which is news to me as Skulsky has told us it holds 27,500).

Roar, You Lions, Roar