Lions land hard-rock LB Rennie Curran

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

From bclions.com:

The BC Lions announced Tuesday morning that international linebacker Rennie Curran has signed with the team.

The former 2010 NFL Draft selection of the Tennessee Titans who also spent two seasons as a member of the Edmonton Eskimos, amassed 123 defensive tackles, two sacks and two interceptions over 34 regular season games in 2013 and 2014.

In three seasons with the University of Georgia Bulldogs, Curran racked up 170 tackles with 6.5 sacks and 24 tackles for a loss and was named a First Team All-SEC in 2009.

The Lions also announced that free agent international receiver Geraldo Boldewijn has also been added to the club’s practice roster. The former Boise State grad hauled in 87 passes for 1,151 yards with six touchdowns in four seasons with the Broncos. He attended training camp with the Atlanta Falcons last season.

Both players will be on the practice field this morning as the Lions prepare to take on the Edmonton Eskimos on Saturday.

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This is a big signing. He was a FA (not a cast-off), hits like a ton of bricks, 4.75/40 speed, and is not even 27 yet. Not sure if he's going to take the roster spot of Hoffman-Ellis, or if they will potentially look at him as a rush end. At 5'11 230lbs, I see him more in the Keron Williams mould - he's heavier than Alex Bazzie anyway, who's a DE.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
InUrFace
Rookie

Saw this on my face book page. We need a pass rusher. Right this minute.. sec... mili sec. ASAP!
maxlion
Legend

Interesting signing. He wrote a book appropriately titled "Free Agent", does motivational speaking, and plays piano, drums, and viola.
http://www.renniecurran.com/
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Boldewijn certainly has good size at 6"4"

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=WR
CardiacKid
Legend

He played MLB for the Esks if I remember correctly. I wonder what shape the linebacking corps will take to accommodate him? Got to believe he will be making the game day roster pretty quickly so someone will be sacrificed to fit him in. And will he go in the middle?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Has Curran been a free agent since the start of the season and just signing now?

The Riders are pretty weak at LB so I wonder if they tried to sign him?
peeby
Starter

The end of our pursuit of Henoc Muamba? Actually, he appears to be trying to get back in the NFL with the Packers right now.

The Lions LB corps is one of their strengths even without Elimimian. At least, it looked that way till the Calgary game. I thought Elimimian was really missed in that game. If this guy can play in the middle and get Bighill back to the outside, maybe he's worth a shot. If he was in Edmonton two years, there'd be little reason he couldn't go right in there.
JohnHenry
Champion

DanoT wrote:Has Curran been a free agent since the start of the season and just signing now?

The Riders are pretty weak at LB so I wonder if they tried to sign him?
Curran had a workout with the Atlanta Falcons and was probably hoping to be signed in the NFL, that could be why he signed so late. Curran played the middle in Edm, I believe. He was good enough to keep his position after Sherritt was reactivated. Apparently the Esks decided to move Sherritt back to the middle this year and elected not to resign Rennie.

I remember Curran as a very quick LB and a punishing tackler especially in his first season in Edm. He's too small to play DE in my estimation.