Ottawa RedBlacks

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Just finished watching the RedBlacks vs. RoughRiders and I continue to be impressed just how quickly this team went from doormats to maybe Grey Cup contenders with the uncertainty surrounding Zach Collaros' injury.

I was severely pissed when the Lions let Ernest Jackson go and that frame of mind is only getting worse every time I see him play for the RedBlacks. It seems every catch Jackson makes just highlights what is wrong with our receiving corps. He fights for the ball, he fights for yardage, he makes DBs pay for trying to bring him down, he makes timely catches.

I will eternally curse Wally, Skulsky or Braley (whoever made the ultimate decision) for not opening up the coffers to keep Jackson on board.

The other facet that impresses me about the RedBlacks that serves to highlight a weakness of the Lions is their Canadian content. There are a number of Nationals on their roster who are truly solid and are making an impact every time I watch them; Capicotti, Shologan, Sinopoli and Pruneau. The latter being of course the guy the RedBlacks got with the draft pick they received from the Leo's for Kevi Glenn.

Ottawa has always been my Eastern Division team (at least when they have a franchise) and I will be pulling for them to make it to the Grey Cup.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good post, CK.

Oh yes. Ernest Jackson. Excellent example of what ails our franchise. Misjudgment of talent level? Not giving him a proper chance to play previously? Failure to re-up. All he is ... is big, fast, strong, tough. Fights for the ball. Can carry it on end around. Et cetera ... Nah. We know better. We have been doing this for over 20 years. Fans know nothing. Watch, I will show you on video.

And Pruneau also. Trade a 1st round pick for Kevin Glenn from a weak hand, afraid of having no depth or experience at QB. Brag about how brilliant the trade was. Outright release Glenn the year after. :dizzy: Just abysmal management of the roster. What is the value of a 1st round pick? To Wally? Nothing. Trade it. Blow it. Use it for some kind of incomprehensible project pick. Hey, but we know better. We have been doing this for over 20 years.

We will keep John Beck. Much better than Kevin Glenn. :dizzy:

Endless crazy decisions. Crazy? OK, not crazy. But unsound. Weak. Misjudged. Myopic. Head in the sand. Foggy thinking.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

For an Ottawa fan, beating the Greenwhites (Ottawa fans will NOT use that other name; if we can't have it, they can't either) is like a Grey Cup in itself, let alone twice. I was on the phone with the Faithful at Hometown Sports on Bank St for most of the evening. The mood there is upbeat, given that the last time Ottawa was 7-4 was 1976.

Coach Campbell embraces modern coaching methods, and M. Desjardins allowed him to pick his assistants, as opposed to Wally running the show for Jeff Tedford.

Maybe someday Wally will let Tedford call the shots. Because with the Milanovitches, Joneses, Campbells, and Austins, Wally is yesterday's man. Then the Lions will start the climb back to the top.
MexicoLionFan
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:Just finished watching the RedBlacks vs. RoughRiders and I continue to be impressed just how quickly this team went from doormats to maybe Grey Cup contenders with the uncertainty surrounding Zach Collaros' injury.

I was severely pissed when the Lions let Ernest Jackson go and that frame of mind is only getting worse every time I see him play for the RedBlacks. It seems every catch Jackson makes just highlights what is wrong with our receiving corps. He fights for the ball, he fights for yardage, he makes DBs pay for trying to bring him down, he makes timely catches.

I will eternally curse Wally, Skulsky or Braley (whoever made the ultimate decision) for not opening up the coffers to keep Jackson on board.

The other facet that impresses me about the RedBlacks that serves to highlight a weakness of the Lions is their Canadian content. There are a number of Nationals on their roster who are truly solid and are making an impact every time I watch them; Capicotti, Shologan, Sinopoli and Pruneau. The latter being of course the guy the RedBlacks got with the draft pick they received from the Leo's for Kevi Glenn.

Ottawa has always been my Eastern Division team (at least when they have a franchise) and I will be pulling for them to make it to the Grey Cup.

We are 4 and 7. Hoo Rayyyyy

Some excellent points CK, just talk to Blitz about EJ...he liked him from day one. As Joe said, wasn't used properly and then when he finally exploded onto the scene, we promptly let him go. As for Glenn, please don't bring that up ever again...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Echoing all the same thoughts as above. Makes me ill every time I think we could have been using him all last season. He was the only receiver who we had last season that showed any consistency which was hard when he only got spot duty. He could be our franchise receiver today if the supposed experts could see past whatever their preconceptions were and view it as us the fans viewed it. Instead, we continue with Manny Arceneaux who is a premiere receiver in name only.

If there is a bright side to it, it is that Ottawa has a respectable team and if they continue in this vein they will have a strong, secure franchise that will hopefully, finally be free from the trials and tribulations that the previous franchises faced. I am glad for the fans there and I am also glad for Jackson. He is finally on a team that seems to know what they've got, how to use him and how to appreciate him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

I just revisited a thread I started when Jackson left the Lions for the RedBlacks...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28003

Hindsight is 20/20 of course but it is interesting to see how the season has actually played out in comparison to the prognostications.

Ever since the 2005 Western Finals and the manhandling the Eskimoes DBs laid on the Lions receivers, I have had an admiration for receivers who are willing to lay the lumber on backs and keep them honest...keep their heads on a pivot if you will.

Forget which game it was this year but Manny laid a hell of a hit on a DB...sent him into next week. If he would do that more often, he would be sending a message to the opposition they would have to take seriously. Heck of a lot more effective than anything he could tweet.
Bosco
Team Captain

As far as Ernest Jackson leaving via free agency - that is part of Wally's belief that American (or "International") receivers / running backs are a dime a dozen, so, why pay $$$ to keep established players?

The gospel according to Wally.
peeby
Starter

I thought the expansion draft was very reasonable to the RedBlacks. It gave them the chance to start building their O-line and D-line. From there, they've made a lot of good moves, including improving the receiving corps this year.

Re: Ernest Jackson, he was coming along last year without doubt, but I always thought both he and Nick Moore were taking an awful lot of time to develop here. A lot of dropped balls from what I recall. Having said that, it is a shame Jackson's not here now. He does have a bit of yards after the catch in him.

Almost my new favourite Canadian in the league? Sinopoli.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

peeby wrote:Almost my new favourite Canadian in the league? Sinopoli.
Yes, despite all the talented international receivers on the Redblacks, their lone Canadian starter is their most reliable receiver. Sinopoli has caught an amazing 78% of the passes thrown his way this year, well ahead of Jackson and Williams (both 67%), Ellingson (65%) and Price (56%). Sinopoli ranks second in the league in targets caught behind Andy Fantuz (79%) among non-running backs with more than 300 receiving yards. Sinopoli also leads the Redblacks in clutch second-down catches resulting in a first down, with 15. Not bad for a converted Canadian QB.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

peeby wrote:I thought the expansion draft was very reasonable to the RedBlacks. It gave them the chance to start building their O-line and D-line. From there, they've made a lot of good moves, including improving the receiving corps this year.

Re: Ernest Jackson, he was coming along last year without doubt, but I always thought both he and Nick Moore were taking an awful lot of time to develop here. A lot of dropped balls from what I recall. Having said that, it is a shame Jackson's not here now. He does have a bit of yards after the catch in him.

Almost my new favourite Canadian in the league? Sinopoli.
Moore and Jackson needed time to mature into professionals and they did it as BC Lions. Wally just wouldn't pay the money it would have taken for them to stay here, Bombers and REDBLACKS did. No real :shock: