Province Article Today by Susan Lazaruk

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dawg3648
Rookie

https://shar.es/17prNc

More Caps blathering with no facts to support her claims.

Love the way she builds up the Caps and trashes the Lions for 90% of the article and then in last few sentences completely contradicts everything she wrote by mentioning the Lions TV audience is 5X the Caps and the game attendance is 8,000 more a game (although obviously down this year).... she obviously did not read the poll conducted by her very own newspaper group earlier this year proving her 18-35 demographic claims are incorrect and that Lions have twice as many overall fans in the province. Seahawks are more popular than the Caps in Vancouver.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/01/2 ... ions-poll/

Never let a fact get in the way of a good story eh Susan!
CardiacKid
Legend

Didn't read the article but might get around to it...

There certainly seems to be a lot of Whitecaps vs. Lions in the media (and on this forum)....comparing this to that...attendence figures, entertainment value, demographic of the average fan for both teams, yadda yadda yadda...... A lot of conjecture, a lot of opinions expressed and a modicum of facts brought into play. And I am going to add my two bits, my humble opinion, my BS regarding the Whitecaps and then shut up about them.

I want to like the Whitecaps, I want to enjoy watching them on tv, I want to see them play live in BC Place, I want to root for them to make the playoffs and make a splash. But despite all those "wants", I just can't get there. Why?

Because everytime I watch the Whitecaps, I inevitably start to think that I can easily watch a far more entertaining level of soccer, a far more skillful level of soccer, a far better example of the "beautiful game" on just about any channel that broadcasts soccer matches from Europe and South America. Be it La Liga, the Premier League, Europa League, Champions League, the Bundesliga, the Eredivisie, etc......

Sorry, not trying to be a snob but it seems patently obvious that the MLS and it's member teams are just not that good when you consider soccer across the globe. I will get roasted for this opinion but hey...

Inevitably some will say the CFL is a poor cousin to the NFL, the players aren't as good, yadda yadda yadda. But there are enough differences between the CFL and NFL game in regards to rules, downs, field size, roster size, etc., that is approaching an apples and oranges comparison.

Comparing the MLS to any other league in the world is comparing apples to apples. And I know from what apple barrel I want to eat from and it ain't the MLS.

Maybe some day I will eat my words and enjoy an MLS game as much as I do a La Liga game. But right now? No bloody way!
Last edited by CardiacKid on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InUrFace
Rookie

CardiacKid wrote:Didn't read the article but might get around to it...

There certainly seems to be a lot of Whitecaps vs. Lions in the media (and on this forum)....comparing this to that...attendence figures, entertainment value, demographic of the average fan for both teams, yadda yadda yadda...... A lot of conjecture, a lot of opinions expressed and a modicum of facts brought into play. And I am going to add my two bits, my humble opinion, my BS regarding the Whitecaps and then shut up about them.

I want to like the Whitecaps, I want to enjoy watching them on tv, I want to see them play live in BC Place, I want to root for them to make the playoffs and make a splash. But despite all those "wants", I just can't get there. Why?

Because everytime I watch the Whitecaps, I inevitably start to think that I can easily watch a far more entertaining level of soccer, a far more skillful level of soccer, a far better example of the "beautiful game" on just about any channel that broadcasts soccer matches from Europe and South America. Be it La Liga, the Premier League, Europa League, Champions League, the Bundesliga, the Eredivisie, etc......

Sorry, not trying to be a snob but it seems to patently obvious that the MLS and it's member teams are just not that good when you consider soccer across the globe. I will get roasted for this opinion but hey...

Inevitably some will say the CFL is a poor cousin to the NFL, the players aren't as good, yadda yadda yadda. But there are enough differences between the CFL and NFL game in regards to rules, downs, field size, roster size, etc., that is is approaching an apples and oranges comparison.

Comparing the MLS to any other league in the world is comparing apples to apples. And I know from what apple barrel I want to eat from and it ain't the MLS.

Maybe some day I will eat my words and enjoy an MLS game as much as I do a La Liga game. But right now? No bloody way!
What you just wrote I have to say " IS RIGHT THE F'N ON!!!!!!!!!!!" :tease:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

at least we don't have an MLB team to compete with.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Sorry, not trying to be a snob but it seems to patently obvious that the MLS and it's member teams are just not that good when you consider soccer across the globe. I will get roasted for this opinion but hey...

Inevitably some will say the CFL is a poor cousin to the NFL, the players aren't as good, yadda yadda yadda. But there are enough differences between the CFL and NFL game in regards to rules, downs, field size, roster size, etc., that is is approaching an apples and oranges comparison.

That's the irony. It's laughable how the Lions and Seahawks comparisons are constantly brought up yet the fact there are plenty of leagues worldwide far better than the MLS is completely ignored.

Yep Whitecap fans keep basking in your "sold out" crowds of 21,000 in in a 54,000 seat stadium.
chwk_lionsfan
Rookie

I'm the same way, i want to like the caps but for some reason it never works out. After watching soccer in Scotland, i just can't bring myself to watch it. I do find it frustrating how the media almost pits the caps against the Lions. On the other hand, it's up to the Lions brass to put an entertaining and competitive team back on the field and make it affordable to go.

Comparing the NFL to the CFL is definitely apples to oranges. I find the Canadian game much more entertaining and fun to watch. I've tried to watch the NFL in the past and find it almost boring too many downs, I really don't like the fair catch rule either.
peeby
Starter

Skipped the article, but this is a regular argument (literally) on 1040am every time Perry Solkowski is on. If the discussion was whether there is a good chance soccer will surpass the CFL one day, you gotta think this is a real possibility. An awful lot of people play soccer and an awful lot of new Canadians come from soccer countries. If the CDN men's team had any success (which they won't), there'd be a further upswing in soccer support. The CFL, on the other hand, doesn't have any realistic potential to grow. With only 9 teams there is always the concern that a couple serious losing seasons can lead to a team coming closer to folding. Maybe too dire a statement, but watch what happens if the Lions miss the playoffs this year and next. As well, watch how little difference it makes if the Argos move to BMO stadium. CFL football is not big enough for Torontonians. And you know, a lot of young people have bought into the hype that if it's big it must be great. The NFL is big. The CFL never will be. Soccer? There is some possibility it could get bigger.

The CFL is at the top of my list of sports to follow, but I gotta say that I enjoyed going to the Empire Stadium Whitecaps and to the 86ers quite a bit. Much more pleasant experience than some of the experience I had going to Lions' games. Sitting at the end of a row and getting up over twenty times so a bunch of guys can go to get booze then go to pee just didn't do it for me. Of course, there was a non-alcohol section. Got into it, then they change it so that some real a-holes sat behind. But I digress. Love the CFL, but watch out for soccer gaining some traction.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:Inevitably some will say the CFL is a poor cousin to the NFL, the players aren't as good, yadda yadda yadda. But there are enough differences between the CFL and NFL game in regards to rules, downs, field size, roster size, etc., that is is approaching an apples and oranges comparison.
Which is why if it ever came to pass the CFL switched to NFL rules I'd never support it. Those differences you speak of change the game. CFL football is the highest level of 3 down football played in the world. It remains unique. Played under NFL rules and it becomes a true minor league level of the NFL. It is then the AHL to the NHL or Triple A ball to MLB.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

peeby wrote:Skipped the article, but this is a regular argument (literally) on 1040am every time Perry Solkowski is on. If the discussion was whether there is a good chance soccer will surpass the CFL one day, you gotta think this is a real possibility. An awful lot of people play soccer and an awful lot of new Canadians come from soccer countries. If the CDN men's team had any success (which they won't), there'd be a further upswing in soccer support.
I was one of those kids that played nothing but soccer when I was young. We had no junior football league where I grew up and hockey was too expensive. So I played a lot of soccer in leagues, in school and pickup games. The love of playing the game has translated into my wanting to support and enjoy the Whitecaps but maybe it has also given me an appreciation of the skills on display in European and South American leagues.

So I guess that time playing the game has turned into a double-edged sword and left me feeling very "meh" towards the Whitecaps.

Like I said in my earlier post, maybe I will eat my words. Every once in a while I will turn on the Whitecaps just to see if my opinion has changed....but so far a big goose egg. I will save my soccer viewing time for Barcelona, Arsenal, Ipswich Town (if I can find them on the dial), etc.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
peeby wrote:Skipped the article, but this is a regular argument (literally) on 1040am every time Perry Solkowski is on. If the discussion was whether there is a good chance soccer will surpass the CFL one day, you gotta think this is a real possibility. An awful lot of people play soccer and an awful lot of new Canadians come from soccer countries. If the CDN men's team had any success (which they won't), there'd be a further upswing in soccer support.
Like I said in my earlier post, maybe I will eat my words. Every once in a while I will turn on the Whitecaps just to see if my opinion has changed....but so far a big goose egg. I will save my soccer viewing time for Barcelona, Arsenal, Ipswich Town (if I can find them on the dial), etc.
My 17 year old son is the same way. Has zero time for the MLS but was glued to the TV this week watching all the UEFA Champions League games. Soccer has been the No. 1 participation sport in Canada by a country mile since the 1960s. There is no sudden surge in interest other than what Solkowski and others on the Whitecaps bandwagon want you to believe.

Heard they were even praising the crowd of 15,000 for the game on Wednesday which is part of the season ticket package so walk-up sales were next to nothing.
dupsdell1
Champion

dawg3648 wrote:https://shar.es/17prNc

More Caps blathering with no facts to support her claims.

Love the way she builds up the Caps and trashes the Lions for 90% of the article and then in last few sentences completely contradicts everything she wrote by mentioning the Lions TV audience is 5X the Caps and the game attendance is 8,000 more a game (although obviously down this year).... she obviously did not read the poll conducted by her very own newspaper group earlier this year proving her 18-35 demographic claims are incorrect and that Lions have twice as many overall fans in the province. Seahawks are more popular than the Caps in Vancouver.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/01/2 ... ions-poll/

Never let a fact get in the way of a good story eh Susan!

You guys are too sensitive the whitecaps are winning the blue jays are going to make the playoffs in which they have not done in 21 years , the Hawks just finished getting to the super bowl , and the lions since 2011 have done nothing same with the canucks . in any other town it would be the same situation .
dupsdell1
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:

That's the irony. It's laughable how the Lions and Seahawks comparisons are constantly brought up yet the fact there are plenty of leagues worldwide far better than the MLS is completely ignored.

Yep Whitecap fans keep basking in your "sold out" crowds of 21,000 in in a 54,000 seat stadium.

That is so true I hate that when the whitecaps keep saying that they had a 6 game sold out streak , open up the whole stadium and then see how many come , the lions had to deal with that for so many years playing in a 60,000 seat stadium and only getting 25,30 k
dupsdell1
Champion

peeby wrote:Skipped the article, but this is a regular argument (literally) on 1040am every time Perry Solkowski is on. If the discussion was whether there is a good chance soccer will surpass the CFL one day, you gotta think this is a real possibility. An awful lot of people play soccer and an awful lot of new Canadians come from soccer countries. If the CDN men's team had any success (which they won't), there'd be a further upswing in soccer support. The CFL, on the other hand, doesn't have any realistic potential to grow. With only 9 teams there is always the concern that a couple serious losing seasons can lead to a team coming closer to folding. Maybe too dire a statement, but watch what happens if the Lions miss the playoffs this year and next. As well, watch how little difference it makes if the Argos move to BMO stadium. CFL football is not big enough for Torontonians. And you know, a lot of young people have bought into the hype that if it's big it must be great. The NFL is big. The CFL never will be. Soccer? There is some possibility it could get bigger.

The CFL is at the top of my list of sports to follow, but I gotta say that I enjoyed going to the Empire Stadium Whitecaps and to the 86ers quite a bit. Much more pleasant experience than some of the experience I had going to Lions' games. Sitting at the end of a row and getting up over twenty times so a bunch of guys can go to get booze then go to pee just didn't do it for me. Of course, there was a non-alcohol section. Got into it, then they change it so that some real a-holes sat behind. But I digress. Love the CFL, but watch out for soccer gaining some traction.

Just look at the tv ratings that should say it right there , nationally the MLS tv ratings are very bad , Nationally the cfl tv ratings are very good right behind the nhl and compete with the NFL ratings , How many sports fans across Canada look forward to the MLS cup every year or watch and make it a national party , Were the grey cup is such a national treasure every year you can not even compare. what are the tv ratings for the MLS cup in this country compared to the Grey Cup , ????

Enough Said.
David
Team Captain

I am a first generation Canadian. My parents both immigrated from London England, so I have a bias toward the EPL (Chelsea FC). I played the sport and was brought up watching the Premier League because that's what my Dad watched. While the MLS is making incremental steps in quality, I have to admit that I have a really hard time watching it. Even if the Whitecaps are playing, I'll tune in for like, 5 minutes and invariably change the channel.

I am growing really tired of the Vancouver media bombarding us with "local sporting pecking order" debates and discussion. Just watch and enjoy what you like. If you support all 3 clubs, good on you. But this argument about "who's #2 or #3" is really growing tiresome.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
LakeLions
Rookie

You can't compare national TV numbers for Lions and Whitecaps as the basis of any arguments. You can't.

The Lions are part of a nine-team league that's been around 60 years. Every game is one canadian city vs another canadian city. There's never two CFL games on at the same time. It receives massive exposure and coverage from TSN.

Whitecaps TV numbers aren't good. But, despite also being on TSN, they're NOT part of a heritage league like the CFL...their league is young. The vast majority of games are NOT against other Canadian teams.

So Whitecaps TV numbers are essentially regional numbers, while the Lions numbers are national numbers.

It's apples and oranges.

I've said it before. The Lions are in this spot for many reasons, not the least of which is the pervasive attitude that they're really, really huge and popular - based on national TV numbers. It's a red herring. And as a result, the team has allowed itself to think it can charge overly-high prices for tickets, that it can get away with minimal marketing efforts, and that it doesn't need to actively push to get younger fans into the building.

It's a mistake. And it's based, largely, on those TV numbers that keep getting brought up