Should the Lions Trade...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:
Rammer wrote:
No support group needed here.

Look the Lions have the two best MLB in the league, yet the D remains the weakest link on the team. The production generated on the D should be squarely blamed on Washington, but the D still needs a stronger DL. The easiest fix is to get a CFL known commodity through trade. Our LBers group is ridiculously deep and the area that the Lions can afford to trade from.

The Lions need to improve, suggestions are welcome
You don't take the "easy fix" by trading away one of the best players in the game.

I would see Mark Washington fired long before considering trading one of Solly or Biggie. Not to mention the backlash this will have on a fanbase that is currently waning, it's a terrible idea through and through.

Who are you going to target for one of these guys?
Chris Greaves ? :dizzy:
Why not just do some better recruiting like other teams do ? If they can find good DL , why not BC ? At any rate , a trade for a DL would really make no difference if BC D keeps playing with the same game plan .

Greaves has been a starting Canadian OL for over 3 years. Lions are starting 3 imports are they not?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

From the time Bo Lokombo arrived in Vancouver I have been saying that the Lions should try him at Free Safety. But now that the Lions are playing Bighill as an extra Safety a lot of the time, why not have Bighill replace Rwabukamba at FS and play Lokombo at Bighill's old LB spot?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:From the time Bo Lokombo arrived in Vancouver I have been saying that the Lions should try him at Free Safety. But now that the Lions are playing Bighill as an extra Safety a lot of the time, why not have Bighill replace Rwabukamba at FS and play Lokombo at Bighill's old LB spot?
Bighill is the hardest working guy on the field but I can't think of one play he has broken up at safety. He is wasted there. The Lions need to solve their coverage problems in the secondary with DBs, not linebackers.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote: Bighill is the hardest working guy on the field but I can't think of one play he has broken up at safety. He is wasted there. The Lions need to solve their coverage problems in the secondary with DBs, not linebackers.
That has been a staple of Wally's time here.

Let's try Andrew Harris at receiver.

Let's try Arakgi at Safety.

Something with Jamall Lee, Receiver or Safety.

Let's convert so and so to O Line or D Line or ...

Too much exposure to Dan Dorazio working late in the lab? Too many foolish experiments.

As noted Bighill is a Linebacker. One of the best in the league. Certainly none better at all that he does at LB.

Putting him at Safety for even one play is, to me, a head shaker. :dizzy:

Takes him out of the play. Why not just sit him down, then, and put a second guy at Safety that has a resume of successful play at Safety?

Biggie should be in the box, where the action is. Tackling and hitting. Disrupting. Spying. Blitzing. Sure he can cover a RB, a tight end or even a receiver at times. But he is a Linebacker. Line. LOS. Line of scrimmage. Not 25 yards deep in no man's land.

It seems to me that both Wally and Mark W had too much exposure to the never ending lab experiments of Dan Dorazio. Flip Flop. All it does is screw up the players, and the coaches think they are doing the enlightened, advanced thing. :dizzy:

(Once again I recall Vince Lombardi. He went to Green Bay, which was pretty much the bottom of the NFL. Paul Hornung, a star athlete, was all mixed up. The previous regime had tried him at quarterback, receiver, running back, kicker, et cetera. All his instincts, and his confidence, were shot. Lombardi said: "You are my left halfback." And so he was.)

I didn't know that they made a play about it.

http://www.si.com/vault/2010/09/06/1059 ... tage-right
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

Blue In BC wrote:
Greaves has been a starting Canadian OL for over 3 years. Lions are starting 3 imports are they not?
So how does that make the defence better ? OL hasn't been a problem area for BC at this time . But I do agree getting a starting NI OL is always a good thing , but trading away our star LB is not .
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:
So how does that make the defence better ? OL hasn't been a problem area for BC at this time . But I do agree getting a starting NI OL is always a good thing , but trading away our star LB is not .
If you change how the ratio is used for example. Using 3 Canadian OL could allow you to use an import at safety. If you traded Bighill you might also push one of your Canadian LB's into a starting role.

While Greaves is not an allstar Canadian OL he is above average and still a younger player. Lions Canadian depth is not great and trading an import for a Canadian is not the worst senario. Of course this may not be a 1for 1 trade. OTOH an above average Canadian for a better than average import? Might be a win win for both teams. Just saying.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bighill doesn't have the speed to play safety.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Bighill doesn't have the speed to play safety.
Tell that to Mark Washington...and there are a few other things that you can tell him.