Official NFL Thread: 2014-2015 Season

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:Truth is, Geno Smith has just stunk this season. I doubt anyone can recall many flashes of adequate play, let alone Pro Bowl play.
Can't agree more. The only people hoping for his continued employment have "Defensive Coordinator" as a title on their business cards......
South Pender
Legend

notahomer
Hall of Famer

Expected more offence out of both of these teams.... Rams coulda won, Cards owned them though... Seattle wins this division.....
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:Expected more offence out of both of these teams.... Rams coulda won, Cards owned them though... Seattle wins this division.....
by virtue of cards injuries, specially at qb.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
notahomer
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
notahomer wrote:Expected more offence out of both of these teams.... Rams coulda won, Cards owned them though... Seattle wins this division.....
by virtue of cards injuries, specially at qb.
EXACTLY.... Stanton didn't look awful but now they'll be starting their 3rd QB, after losing two to injuries. I think the Cards will MAKE the playoffs and certainly are in the lead for the divison.
South Pender
Legend

Geez, that was a boring game. We need at least some offense to stay awake. Too bad about Drew Stanton. I kind of like the Cardinals and Bruce Arians, and, good lord, they've had more than their share of injuries this season. I think the division winner will come down to the Sunday night, Dec. 21, Seahawks-Cardinals game in the desert. Of course, the 'Hawks have to get past the 49ers this Sunday for that Cardinals game to have real significance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ran across this piece from ESPN on the Seahawks-49ers rivalry and how it might lose its fascination and appeal by next year:

Final act to 49ers-Hawks rivalry?
Epic feud would lose luster without Jim Harbaugh; case against playoff expansion
Originally Published: December 11, 2014
By John Clayton | ESPN.com

49ers Are Big Underdogs In Seattle
ESPN Seahawks reporter Terry Blount discusses how talented teams that are playing through a rough patch can be dangerous, and why Seattle shouldn't look past this weekend's matchup.

The 2014 season has been extremely fun because of how tight things have been among playoff contenders. Six NFC teams have nine or more wins, which has happened only four times in NFL history; the last time was in the AFC in 2000. Eleven AFC teams have winning records, but many of the 7-6 teams may be on the outside looking in unless they manage to get to 10 wins.

So while playoff expansion is still on the NFL's agenda, this year's race could create a compelling argument for the NFL to eschew fixing what some feel isn't broken.

Here are the trends to watch heading into Week 15.

1. NFL's best rivalry could be winding down: Jim Harbaugh's likely departure from San Francisco at the end of the season could dilute what has been the league's top rivalry. The San Francisco-Seattle battles became classic largely because of coaches Pete Carroll and Harbaugh, whose rivalry dates back to the Pac-12 when Harbaugh was at Stanford and Carroll was at USC. It has only intensified in the pros. Harbaugh is 4-4 against Carroll in the NFL, including last year's NFC Championship Game that was won by the Seahawks en route to their Super Bowl championship. Without Harbaugh, 49ers-Seahawks becomes just a good, divisional battle minus the flash.

The thought of Harbaugh leaving has already had an impact. The 49ers are playing like an 8-8 squad instead of a team that advanced to three consecutive conference championship games. What was supposed to be a Thanksgiving night delight between NFC West powers turned out to be a better sleep-producer than the tryptophan in a turkey dinner as Seattle easily won 19-3. The 49ers enter the rematch as 10-point underdogs. A Seattle win would end any chance of the 49ers winning the division and put their playoff hopes on life support.

In addition to Harbaugh's potential exit, other interesting components to this rivalry may also dissipate after this season. The Michael Crabtree-Richard Sherman feud could end if the 49ers don't re-sign Crabtree in free agency. And it's not out of the question for aging vets Vernon Davis and Justin Smith to be done in San Francisco. There's no question this series has been great. Savor this week's contest since it may mark the dissolution of the NFL's best rivalry.

The current thinking seems to be that Sunday's Seahawks-49ers game will be an easy one for the Seahawks, and they're favored by 10 pts. However, I don't buy it. I'm looking for the Niners to come into the CLink ready to play, and I expect it to be a hard-fought game. The 49ers have just too much talent--and a very competitive coach--to be a pushover.
South Pender
Legend

Here's some good news sortof (depending on your perspective, I guess). Looks as if Drew Stanton's knee injury isn't season-ending. Never like to see a player hurt even if he plays for the enemy! Having the extra time to prep for the Seahawks a week Sunday will help too. As a Seahawks fan, I guess I'd like to see him return to action in the regular-season closer on December 28 against the 49ers. :wink:

I like Arians' comment about Kurt Warner--a little humor when it's needed.

Bruce Arians: Drew Stanton’s injury is “a day-to-day thing”
Posted by Josh Alper on December 12, 2014, 2:39 PM EST

The reports out of Arizona on Friday were that Cardinals quarterback Drew Stanton avoided a season-ending injury to his knee against the Rams on Thursday night and coach Bruce Arians confirmed it a little later in the day.

Arians said that Stanton “has a chance to return this season” and deemed his knee injury, said to be a sprained MCL and ACL, a “day-to-day thing.” It may actually be a bit closer to week-to-week as the coach said, via Darren Urban of the team’s website, that he would be surprised if Stanton were able to play against the Seahawks in Week 16. Arians wasn’t saying who would take his place if that’s how things play out, though.

“I’ll sit down and think who I want to play,” Arians said, via the team.

The choices on the roster are Ryan Lindley, who replaced Stanton on Thursday, and rookie Logan Thomas and Arians injected a bit of humor into the proceedings when he ruled out a return from the only Cardinals quarterback to take the team to the Super Bowl.

“I talked to Kurt [Warner] last night. Brenda’s not going to let him play,” Arians quipped.

The Cardinals have all but clinched a playoff berth, but winning the division may still require a win against the surging Seahawks next week. Given the way the Seattle defense has played the last few weeks, that would be a tall order even with a vintage Warner at the controls of the offense. A little help from the 49ers this weekend would be appreciated, although there’s not much reason to expect it

You have to expect that if Ryan Lindley lines up behind center against the Seahawks, he'll be eaten alive....
South Pender
Legend

NFL Week 15 Previews and Odds

1. Sunday, Dec. 14, 10:00 a.m. PST:

Raiders at Chiefs: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Odds: Chiefs by 10

Jaguars at Ravens: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Ravens by 13.5

Steelers at Falcons: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Steelers by 2

Texans at Colts: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Colts by 6.5

Bengals at Browns: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Browns by 1

Dolphins at Patriots: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Patriots by 7.5

Buccaneers at Panthers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Panthers by 3

Washington at Giants: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Giants by 6.5

Packers at Bills: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Packers by 4.5

2. Sunday, Dec. 14, 1:05 or 1:25 p.m. PST:

Vikings at Lions: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... ab=preview; Lions by 7.5

Jets at Titans: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... ab=preview; Jets by 3

Broncos at Chargers: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... ab=preview; Broncos by 4

49ers at Seahawks: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... ab=preview; Seahawks by 10

3. Sunday, Dec. 14, 5:30 p.m. PST:

Cowboys at Eagles: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... ab=preview; Eagles by 3.5

4. Monday, Dec. 15, 5:30 p.m. PST:

Saints at Bears: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412150 ... ab=preview; Saints by 3

Game Notes:

1. Morning Games. A lot of clunkers here, but the Bengals at Browns game might be worth a look with Johnny Football starting for the Browns. That's been the main buzz around the NFL this past week. Is Johnny as good as he thinks he is?

I'll be looking in on the Packers at Bills game. The Pack is favored by only 4 points, and the Bills defense has been very good this season. Their front four of Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus, and Jerry Hughes are as good as any in the league. The Packers' O-line has to be at their best or Aaron Rodgers is going to have a rough day.

2. Afternoon Games. Two clunkers and two good ones. Broncos at Chargers could be good, but I'll be mainly focused on the 49er-Seahawks tilt. The 10-point spread in favor of the Seahawks is, in my opinion, far too large. I predict that the 49ers will show up ready to duke it out with the 'Hawks, and I think it will be closer than many expect. The Seahawks really need this game to challenge for the NFC-West title and should be pumped up playing at the CLink. Should be a tough, gritty, smash-mouth type of game. Unfortunately (for Seahawks fans), it doesn't look as if C Max Unger will be ready for this one,, but not many other key players out for the 'Hawks.

3. The Sunday Nighter. Should be a doozy. Probably a decider of the NFC-East title. The Eagles are favored, and I'll be cheering for them. Have they recovered from the manhandling they took last week against the Seahawks? Will Mark Sanchez be good enough to beat the Boys?

4. The Monday Nighter. Hard to get too excited about this one. Two under-performing teams. Still, the Saints need this one to stay in contention for the NFC-South title. The Bears are just playing out the string.
South Pender
Legend

Some great defense today. First, the Bills absolutely stone the Packers for an upset in Buffalo. Aaron Rodgers was completely ineffective. Here's the recap on that one:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... &tab=recap

Kind of a strange one in Detroit as Teddy Bridgewater passes for 315 yards (but throws two interceptions) and the Vikings out-offense the Lions 360 to 233 total yards and lose. Recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... &tab=recap

And that slug-fest in Seattle. I thought it was closer than the 17-7 score would suggest. Really a defensive game, and the 'Hawks' D was just a little stouter today. Beast Mode kept the Seahawks in the game on offense. Seahawks now 10-4 and could win the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs if they can beat the Cardinals in the desert next Sunday and then win at home against the Rams in the last regular-season game. Certainly not a given. The Seahawks' D has really come alive, allowing a total of 27 points in their last 4 games against the 49ers (twice), the Cardinals, and the Eagles, for a 6.75 pts./game average over that stretch (while scoring 79 points themselves for a 19.75 pts./game average against three good defenses). Here's the recap:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... e=boxscore

I gather that Johnny Football was just putrid today in his first start (his QB rating, based mainly on today's game, is 39.6), and the Browns stank the place up (107 total yards, 5 first downs), losing 30-0 at home against the Bengals. I couldn't get the game with my Direct TV package. Here's the recap on that one:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412140 ... e=boxscore
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pleased to see "Johnny Football" stank the place up in his first pro start. Arrogant brat.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Pleased to see "Johnny Football" stank the place up in his first pro start. Arrogant brat.
:whs: According to Schutzie, at least SIX Bengals did the money sign to Johnny F-ball today.......
-----------------------------------------------
The 49ers/Seahawks game WAS closer than the score indicated, IMO, SOuth P. The spread said TEN and it was bang on. Bottom line is there is a bunch of stuff going on in SanFran we obviously don't know about. How do you take your team to the NFC Championship three years in a row but then you are going to get turfed probably as Head Coach? Then again, this is a poster who HATES the play of the QB who also got those same 49ers to a SUperbowl and three NFC CHampionship games. Thing is I think both of them have worn out their time in SanFran. CK is a NFL QB but not the megamillions QB they are paying him to be. If he can improve VIA film, experience, FINE, he'll have a long career. But at this point? UGHH......

Seahawks look solid enough and have enough of the tools and experience...THink they may be busy all the way through January......
Sunday Nighters? HATE THEM. I turn this one on and it starts off with a Cowboys kickoff booted to the Eagles 20 yard line which the Cowboys then recover. A few plays later is SEVEN-0! Then its 21-0 and the Eagles seem to have their wings clipped... So I take a quick :sleep: that must not have been that quick because the Eagles had managed to come back when I awoke from my long winters nap. One I was awake obviously so did the Cowboys and they WON quite easily, IMO...

Sunday Nighters have not been kind to me so far this year (other years they've often been the game of the week). Next week, I really DO NOT CARE. Its a Cardinals/Seattle matchup with the divsion on the line..... :popcorn:
Shocked to hear the Packers lost. Then again, I think the Packers have lost their last SIX in Buffalo according to one pundit rehashing the highlights. Rodgers didn't have a GREAT day but IMO, it seemed part of his problems (at least one of the INTS for e.g.) was more on his recievers than the QB.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Pleased to see "Johnny Football" stank the place up in his first pro start. Arrogant brat.
:whs: According to Schutzie, at least SIX Bengals did the money sign to Johnny F-ball today.......
:wink: :wink: They won't be the last.
South Pender
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
notahomer wrote:
:wink: :wink: They won't be the last.
LOL. Yeah, that copyrighting (or trademarking) the "Johnny Football" handle was pretty hard to take, wasn't it. It seemed to be all about the money and celebrity. I have to wonder whether Manziel is really that much of a d-bag, or that perhaps he just got really bad advice from lawyers and agents wanting to cash in on him. It must be a colossal change in one's life to go from a kid who probably didn't have much growing up to the verge of having riches one could only dream about. And when that kid is 21 and guys he trusts--agents and lawyers--are urging him to maximize his opportunities for money and fame, it isn't that hard to see the how the really off-putting behavior comes about. Of course, no one suggested he hit the club circuit, throw big money around, and generally make an ass of himself, and that likely signals some real immaturity in the guy. It would be nice to see him--in the off-season--do a little growing up, and he could start by studying how Russell Wilson has conducted himself.
notahomer wrote:The 49ers/Seahawks game WAS closer than the score indicated, IMO, SOuth P. The spread said TEN and it was bang on. Bottom line is there is a bunch of stuff going on in SanFran we obviously don't know about. How do you take your team to the NFC Championship three years in a row but then you are going to get turfed probably as Head Coach? Then again, this is a poster who HATES the play of the QB who also got those same 49ers to a SUperbowl and three NFC CHampionship games. Thing is I think both of them have worn out their time in SanFran. CK is a NFL QB but not the megamillions QB they are paying him to be. If he can improve VIA film, experience, FINE, he'll have a long career. But at this point? UGHH......
Fully agree about Kaepernick. Glad to see him regress this season (geez that sounds mean!). About Harbaugh, I feel a little differently. I think he's a helluva coach, winning wherever he's been. But he does have an abrasive personality, I guess, and I think that it's been his conflict with GM Trent Baalke that will probably result in his departure after the season. I have to think, though, that, if Harbaugh goes, the 49ers won't be the same high-performing team that they've been the last few years.

Re the Packers, nota, I watched that one pretty closely, and you're right, although Rodgers had a bad day, it wasn't all on him. He had at least 5-6 passes just dropped--right into the hands of the receiver and dropped. The most important one was a pass to a wide-open Jordy Nelson who would likely have taken it in for a TD, but he simply dropped it--really un-Jordy Nelson-like. I had mixed feelings about that game. I really like the Packers, but a loss makes it more likely that the Seahawks (whom I like just a little more) will have a higher seeding in the playoffs. Of course, they (the 'Hawks) have to run the table now, or none of this really matters.

And, yeah, too bad about the Cowboys winning. I was really hoping to see the Eagles wipe the smile off Jerry's face. It's now looking as though Mark Sanchez has come back to earth (and the mediocre level he's been noted for in the past) and that the Eagles will probably not go much further with him under center. He threw two interceptions last night, and the Eagles' running game wasn't that good. Tony Romo, on the other hand, had a solid game. Not sure whether Nick Foles will make it back for the Eagles this season or not. Here's the recap for anyone interested:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201412141 ... &tab=recap
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Found this on Pro Football Talk about Johnny Football. I think that Hoge hit the nail on the head--the Browns drafted a 6th-round talent with 1st-round hype! I hadn't thought about it in this way--how JF has been set up to fail.

Hoge says whoever drafted Johnny Manziel should be fired
Posted by Mike Florio on December 15, 2014, 1:54 PM EST

That homeless guy in Cleveland shouldn’t get comfortable . . . in the home he doesn’t have.

ESPN’s Merril Hoge has called for whoever drafted quarterback Johnny Manziel to be fired. After the Browns traded up from No. 26 to No. 22 to get Manziel, owner Jimmy Haslam told ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio that Haslam became convinced Cleveland fans wanted the man known as Johnny Football when a homeless man told Haslam, “Draft Manziel.”

“[W]hoever drafted him in Cleveland, they need to be fired,” Hoge said on ESPN, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “Because it’s unfair to the kid. He has sixth-round talent but first-round hype, and you draft him there and now regardless of what happens from here on out, he will be expected to play like a first-rounder and that’s unfair to him.

“He doesn’t have the skill set to withstand that expectation and that’s not his fault, it’s the Cleveland Browns’ for drafting him that high.”

Hoge doesn’t see things ending well for Manziel and the Browns.

“This will be the saddest, quickest ending we have seen in quite some time,” Hoge said in September, via Cabot. “It’ll be like a Tim Tebow.” (Which really wasn’t “quite some time” ago.)

As crazy as it sounds, Sunday’s performance was bad enough to put all options on the table. Appearing on Monday’s PFT Live, Cabot said the next two games take on extra importance because the Browns once again have two first-round draft picks. Which means that the Browns could decide based on the next two games to go in a different direction.

Would it be fair to assess Manziel based on three games? Maybe, but his inability to beat out Brian Hoyer in the first 13 games becomes part of the overall puzzle. By the time the season ends, the Browns may know everything they need to know. And if they know Manziel won’t become at the NFL level the guy he was in college, sticking with him will eventually give the homeless guy who said “draft Manziel” some company.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bears are brutal and proof that a HC calling plays has a fool for a play caller.

IF Trestman wants that role then he should step aside be OC and let someone run this team.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Bears are brutal and proof that a HC calling plays has a fool for a play caller.

IF Trestman wants that role then he should step aside be OC and let someone run this team.
Yup that was another rough game to sit through....

Lots of chatter that the Raiders would LOVE to have current MNF colour guy return to finish what he obviously started in his previous engagement as Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders.

Home stretch of the NFL is in gear now. Playoffs just around the corner. IMO, its an open field too. I mean technically it always is but usually there is a clear cut team or two. Last year for e.g. it was the Broncos/Seahawks and they met in the Superbowl. In the NFC it may have been the Packers but they lost a lot due to one loss this week to the Bills. In the AFC I think its probably the Patriots and/or Patriots. Still there are lots of contenders in the NFC and I guess we'll see in the AFC.......