More Stuff from Twitter.....

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Didn't I see something about Elliot only brought back last year to avoid some injury arbitration which would make him a very unfavoured person in the Lions den and the CFL? So this might be why they don't like the guy. A dispute of some sort. I might be dreaming this.
Yes, Elliott reportedly claimed to have been injured when he was released. When Lulay got hurt a few weeks later, they brought him back. As Wally indicated at the time, the move solved two problems, shoring up the QB depth chart and avoiding the need for arbitration.
Thanks for clearing that up. There was preceding that in the media IIRC an earlier unexplained statement alluding to Wally re Elliott - until the report you quote that - maybe by LU - that Wally was not a fan of Elliot. I suspect that the cutting was a factor but then again something else must be behind that where he is not simply one of Wally's guys. Every coach has his own unique view of what makes a good player or even who is a good player and Wally might not be an Elliot fan. Not that JE's body of work in the Peg suggested he'd be the next Ricky Ray. However, the WPG QBs didn't get much help there and limited pass protection and lack of a consistent desire of the coaches to run.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:The Lions have preferred to find their own QB's and rarely sign those let go from other CFL teams. Elliot was a Joe Mack find. I hope this factor hasn't tarnished Joey's chances in B.C?
I know and for the most part the Lions have done an outstanding job of finding QB's over the years but that shouldn't stop them from looking at other players. No one is saying that Joey Elliot should get a pass but hell, he only got about 3 plays in 1 preseason game, didn't look half bad and then he was never seen again. Not even for QB's sneaks which we were terrible at and IIRC he is a pretty big guy. The sins of hubris is what it appears to be about with the management here. Don't get me wrong, they make a lot of very good decisions here but they equally seem able to behave in a manner which defies any conventional wisdom.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Arash Madani ‏@ArashMadani 33m

ICYMI, on Sportsnet.ca: #CFL commissioner Mark Cohon threatens discipline if a team speaks publicly about CBA talks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cf ... ion-talks/
Lloyd
South Pender
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:From Arash Madani:

From NEWS 1130 Sports:

#BCLions gm Wally Buono talked with the agent for rb Andrew Harris yesterday. The 2 sides trying to get on the same page.

Bouno doesn't know the salary cap # for next season - it's causing problems in re-signing Harris.
I don't quite get this. Harris is not a free agent, right? As far as I know he's committed to one more year under his current contract. So why are he and his agent agitating for a new contract? Wally is struggling under the salary cap to get some guys onto this team that can make them a winner, with linemen particularly needed. It seems selfish for Harris to be demanding more of what limited resources are available for 2014 to get a bigger paycheque than was already agreed to for this year. In my view, he should play out his contract and then negotiate for more when he becomes a free agent, which I assume will come next off-season. This kind of me-first attitude really turns me off. However, if I have his contract situation wrong, please correct me.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Amused that people think that the Ottawa Football Club should part with an asset such as Glenn with minimal compensation.

I'd part with DeMarco for terms mentioned above, but not Glenn. When a starter such as Reilly, Durant, Collaros, Ray go down with injury, the terms for Glenn will be different. Desjardins knows that.

If Glenn refuses to report to Camp, he's suspended. Again the Club wins.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:Amused that people think that the Ottawa Football Club should part with an asset such as Glenn with minimal compensation.

I'd part with DeMarco for terms mentioned above, but not Glenn. When a starter such as Reilly, Durant, Collaros, Ray go down with injury, the terms for Glenn will be different. Desjardins knows that.

Lawrence, if Ottawa needed a starting QB, would you be willing to give up THAT much for Kevin Glenn? What about if all you needed was a backup QB?

Sorry but a 35 year old QB with a history of falling short in the big game.....is just not worth that to the other teams that only need a backup QB......imho, that's the perspective that most fans (other than Redblack fans) have of the situation.

As for Glenn not reporting to TC.....I agree, that would be a win of sorts for the Redblacks....because the LAST thing you want is a disgruntled Glenn causing problems in your locker room.

As much as they say they're not in a hurry, I believe the Redblacks would be wise to remove this "dark shadow" from their situation ASAP.......they have a lot of great momentum going for them in their inaugural season and have generated a ton of interest from the Ottawa community with a lot more to come......so imho, allowing the Glenn situation to fester is counter productive and can only hurt all the great strides they've made.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Amused that people think that the Ottawa Football Club should part with an asset such as Glenn with minimal compensation.

The problem that Ottawa has with Glenn is that his salary is too large with his incentives as a starter, given that every other team has somebody in mind to be their starter. Just like Glenn in Ottawa, he isn't going to be happy being the backup without the incentives making his salary what he believes is his worth. Why would any other team take on that headache at a price Ottawa wants, only to go through exactly what Ottawa will inevitably have to do, suspend or release him.

Past that, if Glenn shows up, you have a Canuck scenario on your hands, Luongo and Schneider like.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

And the Canucks now have neither. Not gloating, as my Senators are little better.

Agreed that a suspension is inevitable, but the way it played out was not planned or conspired. Glenn was never promised a starting job.

Desjardins will take care of the asset, that's all that I am saying.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:And the Canucks now have neither. Not gloating, as my Senators are little better.

Agreed that a suspension is inevitable, but the way it played out was not planned or conspired. Glenn was never promised a starting job.

But it does offer validity to the responses here on the trade value of Glenn. Look at what Luongo return was at during the trade deadline of last season, not very good when everyone knows that the contract doesn't reflect what you are looking for, it is a difficult matter in trying to get value back.

As for the Senators, well who cares about hockey anyways? :)
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Solar Max wrote:And the Canucks now have neither. Not gloating, as my Senators are little better.

But it does offer validity to the responses here on the trade value of Glenn. Look at what Luongo return was at during the trade deadline of last season, not very good when everyone knows that the contract doesn't reflect what you are looking for, it is a difficult matter in trying to get value back.

As for the Senators, well who cares about hockey anyways? :)
Disagree about Glenn's value. I don't believe he'll hold out long, because it makes it much more difficult to trade him, imo. Add to that the inevitability of a starter going down elsewhere, and the asset is viable.

As for hockey, I only care that The Curse carries on from '72. :cool: So far, so good.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blew a 3 goal lead to the Habs in 3 minutes tonight.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Blew a 3 goal lead to the Habs in 3 minutes tonight.

thanks for that. :juggle:
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 3m

After talking with the agent for NFL OL Danny Watkins, #BCLions gm Wally Buono will now try and set up a meeting with the Kelowna native.

Bouno also talked with the agent for CFL free agent Ted Laurent yesterday - the Lions still in the mix for his services.

Buono talked with Ottawa over the weekend about qb Kevin Glenn. Asking price still high but Bouno will wait.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports 3m

After talking with the agent for NFL OL Danny Watkins, #BCLions gm Wally Buono will now try and set up a meeting with the Kelowna native.

Bouno also talked with the agent for CFL free agent Ted Laurent yesterday - the Lions still in the mix for his services.

Buono talked with Ottawa over the weekend about qb Kevin Glenn. Asking price still high but Bouno will wait.
Appreciate the information. Keeping us up to date in the Twitterverse. :thup:

Consider that good news re Watkins.

And I suppose Laurent. Take that, Korey Banks. Ex-Lion. Current enemy of the people. LOL

Re Glenn ... wait it out.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Glenn should report. Burris had a good season last year but his trend has been to declining returns. Calgary cut him loose for a reason and Huff knows QB's. There is no guarantee that Burris will be able to put up numbers like he did again last year and even so, Hamilton was not exactly a powerhouse team. That team also cut him loose for a reason which seems a bit strange after leading them to the Grey Cup game. He is streaky and frankly, isn't the talent or the temperament that I would want to start a new franchise with. However, I don't get paid to make those decisions. On the other hand, when Hank goes into the tank which I'm pretty sure he will at some point, Glenn will be able to step in and maybe take the position by force.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.