2013 Grey Cup: Hamilton vs. Saskatchewan - rooting for?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Which team do you want to win the 2013 Grey Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Saskatchewan Roughriders
13%
Hamilton Tiger-Cats
88%

Total votes: 32
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if the infamous 13th man will put in an appearance
What , the refs ?
I guess Andre Proulx and his crew can be considered as the 13th man.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I guess Andre Proulx and his crew can be considered as the 13th man.
Even Riderfans seem to usually dislike AP and his crew.......
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:I thought post game that Durant and Sheets were two of the least classiest interviews as they wouldn't let go of the pre-game trash talk and someone in "my stall." That is great pre-game but you should let that go post game.
Ironically, it was Jon Cornish for the Stamps showing class and how their team didn't come ready to play - and they didn't!!! - versus the Riders who he credited. But then again I have noticed a new, more mature Jon Cornish this year who came out and manned up - faced the media - made no excuses - and acted like a man.

Players often - among themselves and friends might really dislike another team - but they show class in the media and don't come across so arrogant as Sheets and Durant.
Agree on all points. I'd save the chatter for AFTER the win......
pennw
Legend

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I guess Andre Proulx and his crew can be considered as the 13th man.
Even Riderfans seem to usually dislike AP and his crew.......
They should be thanking him .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gotta go Hamilton over the place of my birth. I've never been able to subscribe to the thought that if the Lions aren't in gotta pull for the West. Just comes across as ultra-hypocritical to be despising a team all season long then suddenly want them to win because they're from the West or conversely East if you were an Argo or Als fan. And if that isn't good enough reason I tend to lean towards the underdog or team that has been without success for awhile. Ticats haven't been in the big game since '99 and I'd assume will be at something like 7 point underdogs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Gotta go Hamilton over the place of my birth. I've never been able to subscribe to the thought that if the Lions aren't in gotta pull for the West. Just comes across as ultra-hypocritical to be despising a team all season long then suddenly want them to win because they're from the West or conversely East if you were an Argo or Als fan. And if that isn't good enough reason I tend to lean towards the underdog or team that has been without success for awhile. Ticats haven't been in the big game since '99 and I'd assume will be at something like 7 point underdogs.

I'm with you. Can't see myself cheering a team that eliminated my team from the playoffs.
QB Club 63
All Star

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if the infamous 13th man will put in an appearance
I get the feeling we will see an entirely new and different way for the Greenies to choke. While Chris Milo has had a few unusual field goal attempts this season, I doubt he'll pull a McCallum. And it wouldn't surprise me if they have secretly hired an accountant to verify the numbers on special teams.

So, what will it be this year - a mis-handled snap at a critical moment? A completely unnecessary late hit on a QB? A Dwight Anderson "taunting" call in the final minute? This is what makes the game worth watching! :wink:
David
Team Captain

On the game winning catch with no time left on the clock:

"Precedure, Saskatchewan. Failure to report as an eligible receive - no end. 10 yard penalty. Repeat 3rd down."

Sack. Game over. :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

South Pender wrote:I kinda hope the Riders win. First, they're a Western team. Second, what besides the Riders do fans in Saskatchewan have to cheer about? It's all the poor b*ggers have, so let's allow them a little joy!
West Schmest. May their cocoa freeze halfway down their gullets.

Go kitty kats.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Big Time wrote:There is no team, and more specifically, no fan base I want to see lose more than the Riders. From the ridiculous exaggerations about how great their team is (they are average), to the nauseating claims that half the fans in each away game are cheering for the Riders (10% at best), to the way their fans revere their team,I have developed a disdain for the Riders like few other teams. As such, I want them to feel the worst possible hurt from a playoff loss. I don't think anything can top the 13th man grey cup in terms of sheer fan pain. However losing the Grey Cup at home would be a close second. As such, I am very strongly rooting for the Ticats.
sounds like jealousy and bitterness to me.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Hambone wrote:Gotta go Hamilton over the place of my birth. I've never been able to subscribe to the thought that if the Lions aren't in gotta pull for the West. Just comes across as ultra-hypocritical to be despising a team all season long then suddenly want them to win because they're from the West or conversely East if you were an Argo or Als fan. And if that isn't good enough reason I tend to lean towards the underdog or team that has been without success for awhile. Ticats haven't been in the big game since '99 and I'd assume will be at something like 7 point underdogs.

I'm with you. Can't see myself cheering a team that eliminated my team from the playoffs.
Historically but less so now we in the west would cheer for the West but that was before we get so many more insights into the teams and the players and the fans as we do today. In those days, it was limited and mostly news and radio and no internet to enable fans to see what other fans and media are saying other than when their team would come to BC for a game.

Now we can hear and see interviews from all players and can form likes/dislikes of other teams based on that - also we see more games than ever.

In teams I've coached if we lost in a cup run I'd want that team to win it all as it validated us more - unless something bad happened - then no.

Wally's Stamps back in 2001 era were hated by most Lion players for their arrogance in those days and they wanted anyone but them to win. Nothing to do with Wally though.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
cheer_leader
prospect

Gotta cheer for the Eastern 'Cats!
Lots of good comments listed,
but in small part, out of respect for Mr. Braley.

We had an interesting experience years ago,
watching the Ticats embarrass the Lions at
Ivor Wynne. Hamilton fans sitting near us
started cheering for the Lions to try to make
us feel better. Never been to a game in
Regina......but tell me.....would that happen there??

Go 'Cats!
Lions Fan in SK
prospect

cheer_leader wrote:Gotta cheer for the Eastern 'Cats!

Go 'Cats!
Absolutely not. I will admit most of their fans are good natured, but there are a lot of obnoxious ones to who will swear at you, hurl verbal abuses. I have been stomped on as well. I will not wear my Lions jersey until I'm in Mosaic. It's not in the best neighbourhood and I've been warned that it would not be safe to walk around in it. I've never known another fan base where it's not SAFE to wear the opposing team's jersey for a game. We were also at "beer" gate. Normally my husband will defend the Riders/fans to the death was disgusted with the beer can throwing incident.

My mom is torn. Hates the Riders, but still holds a grudge against Angelo Mosca (close to Joe Kapp's grudge). LOL. Couldn't decide who not to cheer for so she's leaving for Mexico Saturday.

Go Ti-Cats!!!! :cheer:
ziggy
Legend

It's funny I have some real good friends that have been long time Rider fans and I don't ever witness the arrogance in them I see on the internet. Perhaps it a generational thing, perhaps it's the internet, home of anonymous nastiness. At any rate the one time "loveable losers", have now become poor winners. I guess you need to learn to win just as much as how to lose! At any rate the buffons have put me off the Riders.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lions Fan in SK wrote:
cheer_leader wrote:Gotta cheer for the Eastern 'Cats!

Go 'Cats!
Absolutely not. I will admit most of their fans are good natured, but there are a lot of obnoxious ones to who will swear at you, hurl verbal abuses. I have been stomped on as well. I will not wear my Lions jersey until I'm in Mosaic. It's not in the best neighbourhood and I've been warned that it would not be safe to walk around in it. I've never known another fan base where it's not SAFE to wear the opposing team's jersey for a game. We were also at "beer" gate. Normally my husband will defend the Riders/fans to the death was disgusted with the beer can throwing incident.

My mom is torn. Hates the Riders, but still holds a grudge against Angelo Mosca (close to Joe Kapp's grudge). LOL. Couldn't decide who not to cheer for so she's leaving for Mexico Saturday.

Go Ti-Cats!!!! :cheer:
I wish (haha....) you hadn't reminded me of Angelo Mosca and the Willing Fleming issue - and Joe having the smack down. I might have to cheer for the Riders now!

Mosca had a persona that he helped fuel in the media of a dirty player and the hit on Fleming was considered by BC fans as the reason that the Lions first ever real chance of a Grey Cup and that 1963 game was lost. Today fans can analyze games and review them online and aren't not just seeing it once or twice as we did then and having to wait again until next year when CBC would replay it. The internet has made it easier for more experts in the fan base who realize that one play doesn't win or lose any game.

I'm always interested in leadership and management styles of the coaches and both coaches in this game seem to be very grounded and with good management styles. Chamblin is less of a known entity to me but his interviews show he has depth and understanding of how to build a winning team.

Austin is more known to me and he has a clear philosophy that he can articulate. I like that he is able to instill in his players many of whom are new and young the culture he wants. The Orlando Steinhauer story today on TSN and the players' and Austin's comments show he has what it takes to create winning teams as well as select coordinators.

Austin was with the Riders last time too short to see how he sustains his team over time but I'm pretty confident he can and will.

Despite the Lions HC being very articulate and clear, I'm not sure I've heard similar clarity as these other two coaches possess and I don't get a sense of team work among the Lion coaches like I do with Austin. With BC it's almost like their is a disconnect between the HC and OC and the OC and the mad chemist OL coach. I have yet to hear Mike B give his take on the season other than post game comments. I find it a bit odd that only Wally and players spoke out.

If I block out the vision of Mosca holding the GC I can still give a cheer for the Ticats.

I just want to see a decent game played.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy