Braley proposes selling his CFL clubs

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Not much surprise here, I suppose. Skulsky and his partners are almost surely the seven or so people to whom the Lions will be sold. Any idea who his prospective Argonaut buyers are? A new dedicated Argo-only venue would surely be a huge plus just on an ease of scheduling basis alone.

http://www.hamiltonnews.com/news/braley ... cfl-clubs/
Thursday, September, 19, 2013 - 12:12:40 PM
Braley proposes selling his CFL clubs

By Kevin Werner, News Staff

Hamilton businessman David Braley is looking to sell his two Canadian Football league franchises within three years.

“I will be selling them by the time I turn 75,” said Braley. “I have three years to go.”

The 72-year-old Ontario senator says he has been talking to three people interested in buying the Toronto Argonauts. In addition, Braley says there are about seven people interested in buying the B.C. Lions.

Braley, speaking to about 60 people at a Progressive Conservative party fundraiser Sept 18 at the Lakeview in Hamilton, the Burlington resident said he is also looking at building a new stadium for the Argonauts. Already, there are four municipalities with land that would accommodate a new facility, he said.

While selling the B.C. Lions will be easy because the franchise is doing well financially, Toronto, which he bought in 2010, will be more difficult, said Braley.

“They are still losing money,” said Braley. “We will eventually make money. We need a new stadium and I have three communities looking at land now. There is a fourth one as of today (Sept. 18).”

He said a location, and securing the money for a new facility should be completed within a year.

Some of the money will come from both the provincial and federal governments, he said.

The Argonauts were looking to sign a new lease agreement to play at the Rogers Centre earlier this month. But it is expected their time at the facility will be short lived. The Toronto Blue Jays are looking at replacing the facility’s artificial turf and replace it with grass.

Argonaut officials have talked about moving to BMO Field, if the owners, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd, expanded the facility. In the early 2000s theArgosconsidered relocating to Varsity Field at the University of Toronto, but it fell through. Varsity Stadium was demolished.

Meanwhile, Braley says he expects no problem selling the Lions, which he acquired in 1997. Under his ownership, the Lions have averaged 30,000 people at B.C. Place Stadium, with tickets at $50 each. They also now have large business sponsorship, he said.

“We are a very, very successful franchise and many people would like to buy it,” he said.

The Lions have won the Grey Cup in 2000 and 2006. The 2014 Grey Cup will be played in Vancouver, the second time in four years.

Braley, who is president and owner of Orlick Industries Ltd, is a past owner of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and former acting CFL commissioner.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'm surprised to hear that Braley wants to sell both teams. But I guess the Argos won't sell until there is a place to play other than Skydome.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

He sure brought stability to the Lions. And to the league IMO.

Very reliable, steady deep-pocketed ownership.

As good as it gets, it seems to me.

As a fan of the Lions and of the CFL, I am grateful for his passionate support of our franchise. :thup:
MexicoLionFan
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:He sure brought stability to the Lions. And to the league IMO.

As a fan of the Lions and of the CFL, I am grateful for his passionate support of our franchise. :thup:
I agree wholeheartedly...
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

The Lions have won the Grey Cup in 2000 and 2006. The 2014 Grey Cup will be played in Vancouver, the second time in four years.
I wonder who won the 2011 Grey Cup?

Guess I'll never know.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Does this mean no more BBQs when they play in Hamilton? :pray:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:He sure brought stability to the Lions. And to the league IMO.

I'm not sure that I'd welcome his sale of the Lions as Skulsky now strikes me from wanting to max. revenue per seat versus fill the publicly funded stadium with cheaper tickets as more people in seats mean a tougher marketing challenge and more costs and of course the related risk.

I'd be worried that he'd do a Whitecaps move and if you don't want to buy a season's package then you lose when it comes to post season games.

Ownership is a huge issue - WPG, EDMTN and all the historic troubled time periods for BC, Calgary, etc.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Does this mean no more BBQs when they play in Hamilton? :pray:
Thank goodness. Lions have not done well there recently following their BBQ. They look sluggish probably because they overindulge ?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont blame him..but, OH CRAP. This make me very nervous.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, it had to happen sometime. He won't live forever and like an astute businessman, I suspect, he is starting to think about simplifying his life, putting things in order, setting things up for that time when it comes and maybe shedding some of the headaches in his life.

He hasn't led this franchise wrong since he took it over so I will trust that he will put the same care and attention into choosing new ownership. The CFL owes a very large debt of gratitude to this man. He should be in the CFL Hall of Fame if he isn't already.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Coast Mountain Lion wrote:Does this mean no more BBQs when they play in Hamilton? :pray:
Thank goodness. Lions have not done well there recently following their BBQ. They look sluggish probably because they overindulge ?
This angle is all a little overblown IMHO. You think these guys never eat meals as big anywhere else? You think the coaches wouldn't rein things in if they felt this was a factor?

I don't know if Braley has hosted this BBQ every year since he took control of the team in 1997, but here's the results of every Lion visit in that stretch, with the last digit indicating the win differential between the two teams that season, e.g., (+6) denotes Lions had 6 more wins that year, included as a benchmark against which the outcome of the Ham visit can be compared; the figure is omitted for 2013 since the season isn't over yet:

Sat. Aug. 2, 1997......BC 42 @ HAM 24......W (1-0) (+6)
Thu. Aug. 27, 1998....BC 8 @ HAM 18........L (1-1) (-3)
Thu. Aug. 19, 1999....BC 38 @ HAM 33......W (2-1) (+2)
Fri. July 7, 2000........BC 33 @ HAM 26 OT...W (3-1) (-1)
Thu. July 12, 2001.....BC 5 @ HAM 26.........L (3-2) (-3)
Sat. June 29, 2002.....BC 15 @ HAM 27.......L (3-3) (+3)
Sat. Oct. 18, 2003......BC 29 @ HAM 23......W (4-3) (+10)
Fri. Aug. 13, 2004......BC 49 @ HAM 11......W (5-3) (+4)
Sat. July 23, 2005......BC 28 @ HAM 22......W (6-3) (+7)
Sat. Sept. 30, 2006....BC 28 @ HAM 8........W (7-3) (+9)
Fri. Oct. 26, 2007......BC 27 @ HAM 19......W (8-3) (+11)
Sat. Sept. 6, 2008......BC 35 @ HAM 12......W (9-3) (+8)
Fri. July 31, 2009.......BC 18 @ HAM 30......L (9-4) (-1)
Sat. Nov. 6, 2010.......BC 23 @ HAM 21......W (10-4) (+1)
Sat. Oct. 22, 2011......BC 10 @ HAM 42......L (10-5) (+3)
Fri. Oct. 12, 2012......BC 37 @ HAM 17......W (11-5) (+7)
Sat. Sept. 7, 2013......BC 29 @ HAM 37......L (11-6)

So, 11-6 overall, and three of the six losses came in years where Ham won more games than us so you might argue they were simply the better team that year. At any rate the sheer volume of wins makes me believe this BBQ factor is mythical. To be sure it's a complicated argument because every game has its own set of dynamics: you'd have to compare teams on a whole host of metrics like injury status of key players (who sat out, who played hurt, etc), whether one team was coming off a shorter week of rest, recent firing/hiring of coaches and cutting/signing of particular players, W/L records at the time they faced each other, etc, etc, etc. But surely our record in Ham in this stretch would be worse if this BBQ factor was real.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
South Pender
Legend

Jeez, that is a worry. I think team performance is often a close reflection of the solidity of the ownership and executive members. Let's hope a Nelson Skalbania- or Murray Pezim-type doesn't end up buying the team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if Aquilini is interested ?
SammyGreene
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if Aquilini is interested ?
I have heard the Aquilini family is interested as is Bosa Properties but the leading candidate is apparently a group coming out of the Water Boys that Skulsky is affiliated with.

Obviously an ownership group interested in the long term support of the Lions where money isn't an issue is No. 1 on my wish list. Can't help to think though how well the club would be served from an exposure standpoint as part of the Canucks marketing machine, however.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I'm surprised to hear that Braley wants to sell both teams. But I guess the Argos won't sell until there is a place to play other than Skydome.
I'm more surprised to hear that there's still a Progressive Conservative party. Maybe that's an Ontario thing.