BUCK IS BACK - LIONS RE-ACQUIRE PIERCE

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Not sure that Buck (or Foster for that matter) is/was in Ottawa's plans, but interesting observation.

Marcel has been fairly open about Ottawa's wish list, if one wishes to research it.
Seathanaich
prospect

If they need someone to hold clip-boards on the sideline, surely a young, healthy QB is a better option than a player who is on a first-name basis with every medic in the city? This move makes no sense.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Solar Max wrote:Not sure that Buck (or Foster for that matter) is/was in Ottawa's plans, but interesting observation.

Marcel has been fairly open about Ottawa's wish list, if one wishes to research it.
I don't see Pierce in any way being of interest to Ottawa. Foster on the other hand, as a 26 year old big bodied NI receiver, would have to draw consideration. It will really get down to who all is available and who isn't protected by BC. I think the unprotected player list will still be top heavy with 30-something veterans making younger players with the potential to contribute immediately good value.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Incredible media conference by a remarkable man.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 95111.html
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:Incredible media conference by a remarkable man.

No kidding, Toppy. He is a rare one.

Always had time for the fans.

Right at the top of my all time favourite Lions.
South Pender
Legend

Classy guy. The Lions are lucky to have him back. He'll make some kind of contribution here.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Classy move by a classy guy.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

The Lions have had some weird QB type controversies (really, honestly they have :wink:), now you wonder if that is part of whats been missing. By no means am I saying Buck will cause that to resurface. Instead, based on the interviews I've seen with him/Benevides/Buono, I'm left thinking, here is an older brother type who can help you deal with the neighboorhoods blitzing bullies.......

Glad Buck's back.........
South Pender
Legend

Very nice, Buck. Classy guy, and spoke, I think, from the heart.
Rammer
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Gerry wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:wally, the great QB finder. Other teams get mitchells and willys and collaros, but the best wally can do is a lions fragile retread.

guess tebow wasnt available.
That's quite a rude comment considering the talent that Buono has brought into the CFL and especially the BC Lions, and especially at the QB position.
I am a bit surprised at this but LU or Beamish had some time back said the Lions might be interested in Buck. I think it was LU of The Province. I doubt he was just spinning that off the top of his head.

The undisclosed injury was odd to me and I wonder how this all went down.

Akeem couldn't have got into a worse situation as other NI REC haven't fared well with this outfit.

Buck was 1000% committed to WPG and gave that team his all. It is a joke there now.

But as others note the pass protection has to be better or no QB will survive. It will be the old days with a revolving door of injury to QBs.

I am happy to see Buck back in a BC uniform as this guy is all class and still has a lot of talent.
Yeah Buck is a total team first person, even at the expense of his own body. As for KIA's comments, he probably doesn't even know that Tebow is Als property as far as the CFL goes.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Theismann was adamant that Tebow would not find it easy in the CFL when he he was at the last Grey Cup. He was pretty clear this guy would be confused by the CFL defences. It was less than a glowing endorsement - in fact it was prediction of failure. You want players who want to be in the CFL or at least who are open to the idea in a positive way.

Listening to Chris Wilson on the Lions video - this guy has roots here in BC and brings veteran maturity.

The Buck videos on the Lions site suggest that this little bit of positive energy is sort of like what Wally did with bringing in Arland Bruce - a move that I questioned but was proven wrong. He made a huge difference quickly to the team chemistry and it sounds like it was as a team leader even more than he made on the field and that was considerable.

Buck and Chris Wilson both started in BC in 2005.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:.... bringing in Arland Bruce - a move that I questioned but was proven wrong. He made a huge difference quickly to the team chemistry and it sounds like it was as a team leader even more than he made on the field and that was considerable. .....
Me too! I questioned that move too and was proven wrong. That was one season I LOVED BEING WRONG because I WROTE THEM OFF @ 1-5.
Blitz
Team Captain

I'm happy that Buck is returning to B.C. He is just a very likeable player. I was sad to see him released after 5 seasons with us but his injury situation made it necessary. Hard to have offensive consistency with his injuries but he is courageous and loves the game.

I like this move because it gives us experience in the backup position and he will be a good fit. I also like it because it makes Toppy very happy and who cannot be pleased when a comrade Lionbacker gets his favorite player back in orange.

Adding leadership to a team is always a good thing. However, in another way, the first move by Wally is to bring in 'leadership' at the quarterback position when we really should have enough leadership being provided by our starting quarterback at that position.

No question though is that Buck will overtake DeMarco for #2 before this season is over.

What is puzzling is that after so many quarterbacks being developed by Buono in the 'quarterback factory' over the years and now we are struggling to find a a decent developemental quarterback. We've gone through 16 of them over the past couple of seasons or so. This is not the Buono Way but at least we're doing better than the Eskimo Way. :wink:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

[quote="Blitz"]
What is puzzling is that after so many quarterbacks being developed by Buono in the 'quarterback factory' over the years and now we are struggling to find a a decent developemental quarterback. We've gone through 16 of them over the past couple of seasons or so. This is not the Buono Way but at least we're doing better than the Eskimo Way. :wink:[/quote

Again, I think it's too early to write off either DeMarco or Hart. All we can say, somewhat definitively, about DeMarco is that his short yardage instincts are....questionable.