Argos 38 - Lions 12 Post Game Stats and Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Toppy Vann wrote:Out played, out coached, out prepared. Timing of the loss is a good thing as there is lots of time to get back on track.

TOR on DEF looked like CAL used to when their DEF were calling out the Lions plays and the Lions losing to them.

You don't win them all and at times a stinker is the best way to get a wake up call to your team as the Argos are no longer an easy W.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts Toppy. I watched it in the Copper City Saloon in Invermere. I was even outnumbered by Argo fans; 2 of them to 1 of me. One can try to say the Lions didn't do this or didn't do that but bottom line the Argos flat out out played them in all aspects. Watching the game I commented several times how the Argos prepared an outstanding game plan and executed all aspects of it to perfection. I couldn't help but be impressed by their performance.

The only thing I could cut the Lions slack on was for the unknown of the Calleros factor. With next to zero tape they didn't really know what to prepare for. I'm always a bit uneasy when my team draws a new QB for his first significant action, especially one who is so much different from the regular QB. In this case I think the long week for the Argos was huge in preparing for the game. It gave them time to put in a lot of different plays suitable for his skillset. If it was a short week they might've had to go with more of their usual offence. The Argos were well prepared for BC but the Lions didn't have any answers for the Argos, offence or defence. Listening to the Argo pregame show on Sirius while driving into Invermere someone commented how he thought Calleros' skillset and mental approach reminded him of Jeff Garcia. I can definitely see that after last night.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:Out played, out coached, out prepared. Timing of the loss is a good thing as there is lots of time to get back on track.

TOR on DEF looked like CAL used to when their DEF were calling out the Lions plays and the Lions losing to them.

You don't win them all and at times a stinker is the best way to get a wake up call to your team as the Argos are no longer an easy W.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts Toppy. I watched it in the Copper City Saloon in Invermere. I was even outnumbered by Argo fans; 2 of them to 1 of me. One can try to say the Lions didn't do this or didn't do that but bottom line the Argos flat out out played them in all aspects. Watching the game I commented several times how the Argos prepared an outstanding game plan and executed all aspects of it to perfection. I couldn't help but be impressed by their performance.

The only thing I could cut the Lions slack on was for the unknown of the Calleros factor. With next to zero tape they didn't really know what to prepare for. I'm always a bit uneasy when my team draws a new QB for his first significant action, especially one who is so much different from the regular QB. In this case I think the long week for the Argos was huge in preparing for the game. It gave them time to put in a lot of different plays suitable for his skillset. If it was a short week they might've had to go with more of their usual offence. The Argos were well prepared for BC but the Lions didn't have any answers for the Argos, offence or defence. Listening to the Argo pregame show on Sirius while driving into Invermere someone commented how he thought Calleros' skillset and mental approach reminded him of Jeff Garcia. I can definitely see that after last night.
Calleros has a better arm and has quicker feet than Garcia, as you can see he has a ton of upside to his game. Let the RR/Calleros controversy begin. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sirona
prospect

you seemed to have overlooked Pottinger's tackle statt,, when he came in the last quarter and stopped Andrew Harris.. forcing a turnover on downs.. His statt is clearly shown on the CFL statt game list. Just thought I would update as that was another tackle stopping Harris and insured that Lions would not win.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions get to face another rookie next Monday
Halliday
prospect

TheLionKing wrote:Lions get to face another rookie next Monday
Hopefully we're better off against Max. Not that I was any less confident last week....
Rammer
Team Captain

Halliday wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Lions get to face another rookie next Monday
Hopefully we're better off against Max. Not that I was any less confident last week....
Glad that I didn't bet the mortgage money on the last game, maybe this one though.... :ref:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

bluto
prospect

Toppy Vann wrote:Yes, Argos are a dirty team - ask the Bombers how they head hunted Pierce even in the first pre-season game this year!!!
They have good coaches but judging from how they play dirty - well you know that coaches allow that OR it won't be happening. They sure were upset when Ricky Ray got taken out though.
you can make your point that the Argos are dirty players without making *poop* up you know...

Ray got sacked clean and fell funny on his own lineman and the result was that his leg bent funny. and absolutely nobody got "upset" because he was "taken out".
CHAMP16NS
bluto's Argonaut Diaries: here
almo89
Legend

As well as the rookie QB played, he did throw 2 hopers into double coverage. If those were INT's, I think it would have been a different story.
zark
Champion

Those TD throws Collaros threw were into double coverage.There isn't a book out on this guy, but those were lame throws. Next time up, those catches turn into Interceptions. I'd like to hear the excuses a middle line backer uses when he doesn't take out the QB, one on one. Or is Collaros that quick. I don't think so. Maybe he went in too soon after an injury.
Still doesn't explain the O's mediocre (crap) performance.
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:As well as the rookie QB played, he did throw 2 hopers into double coverage. If those were INT's, I think it would have been a different story.
On both plays Josh Bell and JR Larose were in position to make plays but failed.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
almo89 wrote:As well as the rookie QB played, he did throw 2 hopers into double coverage. If those were INT's, I think it would have been a different story.
On both plays Josh Bell and JR Larose were in position to make plays but failed.
Yah, IMO, Collard seemed to have a little "BIG BEN" in him (ala Pittsburgh Steelers, for non-NFL-ers :cool: ). Seems to be about wrapped up for the sack or makes a throw you think doesn't have a chance BUT the results were what the Argos wanted. Oh well, maybe those throws and/or sack attempts turn out differently next game.....
Rammer
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Yah, IMO, Collard seemed to have a little "BIG BEN" in him (ala Pittsburgh Steelers, for non-NFL-ers :cool: ). Seems to be about wrapped up for the sack or makes a throw you think doesn't have a chance BUT the results were what the Argos wanted. Oh well, maybe those throws and/or sack attempts turn out differently next game.....
Reminded me more of Henry Burris, strong armed a few balls when he was in trouble. As with Burris, sometimes it works, sometimes the consequences are large.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:4 short FG and no TDs is an embarrassment. The Lions need some flair and imagination or just some subtle variations...just do something to get the ball in the end zone.

I started the season thinking that the Lions D had the best front 7 in the league. I was wrong. Last year's best D in the league is far from it this year. The play of Josh Bell is suspect although Parks is a find and JR LaRose seems to be doing OK.

The Lions coaches need to admit that they have been out coached and need to do better.
BC FAN:
The Lions lost the game by not being able to reach the end zone despite four trips to the Argo 10 yard line. The Lions had one of the best red-zone TD rates in the league through the first four weeks at 69%, thanks to the work of the offensive line and the running ability of Andrew Harris. Tonight Argo defensive coordinator Chris Jones stacked the box and rushed up to seven players, forcing and the Lions out of their comfort zone. Jones knows the Lions well and has been on the winning and losing side of some chess matches. He has overhauled his Grey Cup-winning defence to add speed and aggressiveness and it showed tonight in key situations. The Argos fed off their early success and the Lions, while engineering some long drives, couldn't convert.
The glass half full by BC FAN is true for this game but on balance I'm in the camp of being critical of how they lost this game and I hope the Lion coaches look in the mirror for the lessons they need to learn. The LAST thing this team needs now is the OLD Wally version of it's execution followed by a number o losses while they just say 'it's the players stupid'.

The Lions just on STs (kick returns) basically send the message that it's just done to get the ball in play - not to game change, add excitement, get brilliant field position. We may as well go to US fair catch rules and go further and eliminate kick offs entirely. Just start on the 35 yard line after scores.

OFF is unimaginative under Chappy, once again. DEF adjustments not made effectively.

This team has talent but now these coaches need to step up their game.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
MexicoLionFan
Legend

But how can teams be loading up the box, bringing 5 or even 6 guys and Travis still can't find open receivers?
Sammy this is the question for the ages with the Lions...how did Dave Dickenson become so poor at recognizing and dealing with blitzes? Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, now Travis Lulay. It's because as an OC Chapdelaine must actually think that if we simply execute our "system" properly, it won't matter...but it does...our offence simply doesn't run effectively when teams bring the house...receivers and the QB are not on the same page...OLinemen seem lost at times...and all of this can be related back directly to one thing...coaching. Credit to Chaps for putting together a system that was dynamic and encouraged the big play...Casey Printers and the Lions offence in 2004 was a thing for the ages, it really was...but if we take the time to remember, about week 12, DCs suddenly began to bring the house against us with no effective response from Chaps...Printers continued to deliver, but on a much more limited scale, and often with some of his incredible athletiic plays...but he got hit a ton, he ran a ton, and this is where he first damaged his big toe...having your QB run for his life to avoid the blitz is NOT effective coaching.

We lost that WF in 2004, Dickenson or Printers not withstanding, for the same reason we lost last year's WF and the game last night...for 10 years Chapdelaine has NOT RESPONDED to this pressure...well, that's not entirely true, as 2 years ago, he introduced the spread offence with Andrew Harris in the backfield and it gave the defence something to think about...and it worked very effectively, and Lulay was at his best (IMO), but for some reason we dropped it...and each week we have been going more and more back to a predictable, 7 step drop offensive system. And the only thing that it has accomplished is to get Lulay smacked around. That win in Edmonton was due to Lulay putting the game on his shoulders, literally, and running around to get something started...and it seems that unless he does this, we can't complete a single drive down the field. But the cost to Lulay has been signficant...his shoulder injury last year was serious, and if he has to keep up this "Printer-esque" escapability, he going to get hurt again. Plus when you are physically exhausted all the time, you don't always make such great decisions...and watch Lulay this season, it seems like when the pressure gets close, he's afraid of getting hit and if effects his decision making process.

Until Chaps changes the offence, or we change from Chaps, this isn't going away. Wally, Shivers and Obie have done a nice job bringing in talent here over the years...but we have squandered a lot of it...and remember the Cup win in 2006...that game was slipping away from us, again, because Montreal just kept blitzing and our offence simply stopped producing...it was our defence that preserved the win. Similar with the GC win in 2011...our defence never gave Winnipeg any hope...under pressure our offence tried and tried to give that game away...and what happens if Odell Willis catches that gift from Lulay in the 2nd half??? Chaps, for whatever reason, doesn't know how to stop teams from blitzing...and the answer isn't taking a 9 step drop and trying to hit a deep post.
"Condemnation Without Investigation is the height of ignorance."

Albert Einstein