Player with least amount of character

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

QB Club 63
All Star

When I read the title I was going to jump in on the discussion, but seeing where it has gone I decided to wait for a bit. Here's my take on it, though.

I was going to make a point about character, and try to get a feel for which definition of the word we were looking for. There's character, as in how we measure a player's contribution to his team, his teammates, his community and so on. There are many outstanding examples of character guys we have seen wearing our Leos jerseys.

Another, slightly different definition of character would apply to the more "colourful" players that have passed through the dressing room doors. They are the athletes with stories that get told over and over again, like an unknown DL named Derek Wake who went to the wrong field and missed a free agent tryout but still managed to make it onto the roster (and also became a YouTube star for his leaping cash grab). Guys like Mr Mancouver, Jason Arakgi. Angus Reid and his T-shirt company (among others). The list goes on, because their off-the-wall character is part of what makes them excel at their profession.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this topic really sucks if we make it about a player's ethics or moral character. But it might have relevance if we talk charisma and general flakiness. I mean, what funny, weird or cool stories have we heard about the likes of Joash Gesse? Or Stu Foord? Has Ben Archibald ever pulled a locker-room prank on a teammate? Inquiring minds want to know!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Can't remember his name at the moment but he came to the Lions from the Bombers in the late 60's or early 70's. Played MLB wearing #52 and was the man that created the Dog's Ear T-Shirt company.

What made me laugh about his character: He was reported to slam his head repeatedly against his locker door prior to taking the field before games. This was his way to " prepare " himself for being an aggressive defensive player.

:)
Last edited by Blue In BC on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote:Can't remember his name at the moment but he came to the Lions from the Bombers in the late 60's or early 70's. Played MLB wearing #52 and was the man that created the Dog's Ear T-Shirt company.

What made me laugh about his character: He was reported to slam his head repeatedly prior to taking the field before games. This was his way to " prepare " himself for being an aggressive defensive player.

This sounds like your guy:
http://www.dogsear.com/about-us.htm

Oddly, his name doesn't appear in the Lions' all-time team roster (or at least in the copy I have that runs through 2010).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
Blue In BC wrote:Can't remember his name at the moment but he came to the Lions from the Bombers in the late 60's or early 70's. Played MLB wearing #52 and was the man that created the Dog's Ear T-Shirt company.

What made me laugh about his character: He was reported to slam his head repeatedly prior to taking the field before games. This was his way to " prepare " himself for being an aggressive defensive player.

This sounds like your guy:
http://www.dogsear.com/about-us.htm

Oddly, his name doesn't appear in the Lions' all-time team roster (or at least in the copy I have that runs through 2010).
I don't think he lasted more than a few games as a Lion. IIRC he also won the " belly flop " championship a couple of times when they were doing that in the lower mainland as a " contest ".

At the very least he was a character.
zark
Champion

This forum sucks. TROLLS RULE!
See ya!
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
Blitz
Team Captain

Our Leos players are all character guys.....end of discussion for me for this thread.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)