CFL Video Game?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

Has there ever been a CFL football game? If not, has Madden ever included the Canadian franchises?
Founder of the Bama BC Fan Club :towel:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No to Madden.

Nothing on the gaming consoles. Nothing from the Madden people.

About all of your choices I'm aware of were done by Winter Valley Games. CFL Football '99 was a bugfest.

About eight years later there was this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/301 ... otball.2.0

Not real teams, not real players, but at least Canadian rules. But even that is four years old at this point.

When EA did the Arena League game in 2005, I think, the league basically paid EA a million dollars to develop and issue the game. I don't think the CFL has the funds to spare to pay EA similarly.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

I owned that Arena League game, it was fun.

it's total bs that the CFL has zero video game availability. I could completely understand not being able to produce a CFL-only game due to lack of interest outside Cananda and the fact there are only 8 teams. Still, I'd think that Madden would atleast throw 'em a bone and add a little section within the NFL game for the CFL.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:I owned that Arena League game, it was fun.

it's total bs that the CFL has zero video game availability. I could completely understand not being able to produce a CFL-only game due to lack of interest outside Cananda and the fact there are only 8 teams. Still, I'd think that Madden would atleast throw 'em a bone and add a little section within the NFL game for the CFL.
For $1 million, I think EA would do it. The Arena Game, poor as it was, was built on the Madden Engine. There are a world of better things to do with $1 million than a video game, unfortunately.
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

oh hell yeah, don't spend $1 million on a video game! heck for that price tag BC could fly me and the fam up for every home game and treat us to a steak and lobster dinner at the finnest spot in Vancouver for 2012. I'd prefer they do that anyways, so if you have any pull with the franchise tell 'em I said so. :beauty:

Samantha and I can't wait till we can make it to our first Lions home game. It is on my bucket list. And when that day comes, I would consider it an honor and a privilidge to be able to meet some of you beforehand for some good ol'fashioned Dixie football tailgating. We know how to do it up down here in the South bubba.
Rammer
Team Captain

BCfanInDIXIE wrote:oh hell yeah, don't spend $1 million on a video game! heck for that price tag BC could fly me and the fam up for every home game and treat us to a steak and lobster dinner at the finnest spot in Vancouver for 2012. I'd prefer they do that anyways, so if you have any pull with the franchise tell 'em I said so. :beauty:

Samantha and I can't wait till we can make it to our first Lions home game. It is on my bucket list. And when that day comes, I would consider it an honor and a privilidge to be able to meet some of you beforehand for some good ol'fashioned Dixie football tailgating. We know how to do it up down here in the South bubba.
We wish we had the TG'ing opportunities given in the US, our laws are a little more stoic and all the lots around BC Place are privately owned. With that they seem to dictate the rules that they want applied and that isn't exactly TG friendly. There is a reason that you can find this avy Image in the Lionbacker files here.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Anglophone
All Star

I was actually thinking about this earlier today. If the game was poor and buggy, I think it could do a lot of harm to people who aren't familiar with our league.
jim604
All Star

it costs a lot more than a million to make a decent console game these days...

The best solution possible for the time being, is one that involves not using CFL rules.

If you have NCAA Football 11 or 12 you can use a feature called 'Team Builder'.

Search for teams (State: Canada), you will find all of the CFL.

I believe I posted a pretty realistic and accurate version of the 2011 BC Lions up there, as well a co-worker created the Bombers for whenever we wanted to play.
  • Rosters are pretty accurate
    Uniforms customized
    Field/stadium selected to look like Empire. I'll swap it to BC Place next year. :)
BCfanInDIXIE
Starter

what's the fun in playing a user-generated CFL mock without the CFL rules? the rules is what I WANT.

I've been watching American football since I was a little boy, they euthenize ya' down here if you don't love football coming out of the womb. But when I discovered Canadian football, it was like the first time I listened to The Beetles. it was new and exciting...and I think I crapped my pants just a little.

the CFL not only changed my perspective on the American game, it opened my eyes to just how much of an unfair monopoly the NFL holds over my country. They control everything, and go to great lengths to squash any and all competition. the CFL offers an exciting alternative where the game moves faster and the players still play for the love of the game...not just the millions they can make. It feels more..."real."

don't get me wrong, American football is still the love of my life...but the CFL has become my mistress on the side that I sneak out to see then lie about to Mrs. NFL at home. :beauty: