Lions to play in Edmonton???

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Can't see it happening.

Although we know that strikes are meant to inconvenience people. And we know that pro sports are not everyone's cup of tea.

Too much ill will crated if this were to happen. Counter productive.

Plus the government might step in.

Interesting that the league saw fit to give Edmonton a heads up.

If the NHL can cancel a season, and the NBA might do so, anything can happen in labour negotiations.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If I don't get to go to this game due to the union strike, I will go to future games with the expressed purpose of verbally harassing union employees.
Rammer
Team Captain

QB Club 63 wrote:My brother & I drove past Empire this afternoon & the tear-down is well under way. Cranes all over the pace, metalwork crawling with workers. The south end zone seats are about half gone. The roof is almost completely removed.

That's all I could make out from our quick drive-by.
Stands are scheduled to go to London for the Olympics, that had to be arranged well in advance of any labour discussions with BC Place employees.
Entertainment value = an all time low
princetonfan
Rookie

I think we need to remember it takes two groups to negotiate to make a deal not just one group making concessions. I believe the Union has been reasonable to this point! I hope this can get settled without causing a whole bunch of unnecessary public anger. :pray:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The story of the game being moved came out of Edmonton. The Lions issued a statement Monday saying they're in constant contact with B.C. Place and are confident that the game will be played as scheduled but they couldn't comment further:
In light of recent media reports regarding the availability of BC Place this Saturday for the BC Lions game versus the Edmonton Eskimos, team president and CEO Dennis Skulsky has issued the following statement:“On behalf of the BC Lions Football Club, I want to assure our fans and ticketholders that we remain in constant communication with both BC Place officials as well as the Canadian Football League. It is still very much our belief there will be a positive outcome to negotiations or at the very least, an assurance from both BCGEU and PAVCO that negotiations will continue in good faith enabling the club to play at BC Place this Saturday.”
In this case, no news is good news. Hopefully, if bargaining progresses, we'll get a commitment by Thursday that the game indeed will go ahead as scheduled.

In general, though, I agree with suggestions that the team could be more forthcoming with a ticket count and news of the roof being open or closed. We seem to hear ticket counts for Grey Cup and big games, like the stadium reopener, but not for other games, probably because there hasn't been much to report. I think the team was happy to hit 30,000 for the second game under the dome. It would be nice to se a bigger crowd this week, with first place and a home playoff game still to be determined.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The story of the game being moved came out of Edmonton. The Lions issued a statement Monday saying they're in constant contact with B.C. Place and are confident that the game will be played as scheduled but they couldn't comment further:
In light of recent media reports regarding the availability of BC Place this Saturday for the BC Lions game versus the Edmonton Eskimos, team president and CEO Dennis Skulsky has issued the following statement:“On behalf of the BC Lions Football Club, I want to assure our fans and ticketholders that we remain in constant communication with both BC Place officials as well as the Canadian Football League. It is still very much our belief there will be a positive outcome to negotiations or at the very least, an assurance from both BCGEU and PAVCO that negotiations will continue in good faith enabling the club to play at BC Place this Saturday.”
In this case, no news is good news. Hopefully, if bargaining progresses, we'll get a commitment by Thursday that the game indeed will go ahead as scheduled.

In general, though, I agree with suggestions that the team could be more forthcoming with a ticket count and news of the roof being open or closed. We seem to hear ticket counts for Grey Cup and big games, like the stadium reopener, but not for other games, probably because there hasn't been much to report. I think the team was happy to hit 30,000 for the second game under the dome. It would be nice to se a bigger crowd this week, with first place and a home playoff game still to be determined.
While this story did come out of Edmonton, the CFL was quoted as well suggesting the Wednesday timeframe. With that im mind, it makes sense as the union would have to offer up strike notice on Wednesday evening in order to walk out for Saturday. Lions have said nothing to the contrary either with their statement, which suggests that this is a legitimate concern.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Pretty good pressure tactic by the union, bringing uncertainty to the availability of BC Place. Or is the timing just coincidental? Ha ha
The_Pauser
Legend

DanoT wrote:If I don't get to go to this game due to the union strike, I will go to future games with the expressed purpose of verbally harassing union employees.
Me too. That would be utterly ridiculous if we lost a home game due to a stupid labour dispute.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

The fact that the BCGEU is involved has me worried because if they are government employees, they are likely already over paid.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

No more worries. A collective bargaining agreement has been reached. I'll post details in a new thread.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:No more worries. A collective bargaining agreement has been reached. I'll post details in a new thread.
BC Place
@bcplace BC Place
The @BCLions vs. @EdmontonEskimos game will go ahead as scheduled for this Saturday, October 29th at BC Place! #bclions

That makes the above tweet make sense now. Good to know that the game will be played under the Dome/Sky.