Sarah M. to sing next friday

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

notahomer
Hall of Famer

courtesy BC Lions.com Staff
BC Place and the BC Lions Football Club are pleased to announce that Juno and Grammy award-winning performer Sarah McLachlan will sing the national anthem O Canada prior to the Lions’ first game back in the new BC Place on Friday, September 30th versus the Edmonton Eskimos.

With landmark recordings such as Surfacing, the Vancouver-based singer has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide and is founder of the tremendously successful Lilith Fair tour.

In addition, a cast of 200 drummers, musicians, dancers, cheerleaders and special guests will also bring the brand new BC Place to life during a high-energy halftime show in front of thousands of proud BC Lions fans.

“We know the reopening of this magnificent building will be seen right across the country, and it will be a special moment for BC Place, the BC Lions, and all British Columbians,” said Howard Crosley, General Manager of BC Place. “It’s going to be an exciting night, and we’re pleased Sarah McLachlan has agreed to help kick off our new era at BC Place.”

“We couldn’t be more thrilled to have Sarah performing the national anthem to mark our historic return to BC Place,” said Lions president and CEO, Dennis Skulsky. “We’re proud to be first event in the new BC Place and Sarah is the purrfect choice for the opening of British Columbia’s landmark sports and entertainment showpiece. We invite BC Lions fans to come cheer us on, as we officially open the Place Pride Calls Home.”
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Maybe we can get her to do a few songs for the halftime show too! Or do they have something else planned?

This comment about things being 'purrfect' gets a chuckle out of me. I think its meant as I take it, a pun. Do Lions purr? Maybe, I know other cats do. The other slogan the place Pride calls home doesn't work for me. Here in Vancouver anyways, Pride usually means something else altogether involving feather boas and elaborate floats in a parade in the West End......

Anyway, looking forward to hearing Sarah sing and then getting to take in the first football game in the refurbished BC Place.

Heard there are some big changes coming in terms of menu items. Butter chicken and other things I certainly wouldn't have expected to find available at a stadium a few years ago. If I feel like a hot dog, I'll stop off at Costco where I can get a dog/coke for $1.70 but I think I'll splurge and pick up one of the more unique (for stadium food) items at the Dome.....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Hopefully the forecast improves. Right now it's calling for light rain on Friday.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I like Sarah McLaughlin, but I don't know if the sappy-save-the-puppies songstress would be my first choice for a rousing rendition of the national anthem.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Whew. There's a bullet dodged. Glad I've held off til October 8 to cheer on the Lions and check out my $500M investment.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

maybe they booked her 7 weeks ago when it looked like by September 30 the Lions would be dead and buried... she does sing a good sad song for funerals.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

jcalhoun wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:I like Sarah McLaughlin, but I don't know if the sappy-save-the-puppies songstress would be my first choice for a rousing rendition of the national anthem.
Amen to that, though I'm sure she'll do a lovely job of the anthem. Were I in charge, I'd have got that guy from the Canucks' games to do his bit with holding the mic up to the crowd. I know this is a hockey thing, but it would provide a lot of energy before kickoff. Assuming the rain holds off and the roof is open (and I suspect the roof will be open in any circumstance save a torrential down-pour) you get 54,ooo people belting out the anthem, and then have some CF-18's go cracking over the stadium. That's how you get things going. I'm not sure McLaughlin will have a similar effect.

On a related note, I really hope the game day production is first rate. So often the player intros, ad-breaks & halftime shows are decidedly un-polished. I hope the Lions's staff have been taking night courses in slick production values.

Cheers,

James
i really like the player intro pump up video this year so hopefully they keep it for the 30th :) but yeah i hope it is too!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

A halftime band should be Vancouver's greatest rock n roll band - DOA. That would be a scream. In a good way.
Luke
All Star

I heard that too add some character to the new digs, they're bringing back the lumberjack and the wooden post for him to climb after every touchdown. :wink:
almo89
Legend

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

Flipping through the Province this morning (one doesn't really read the Province) Ulrich pointed out that ticket sales are at 34,ooo as of Friday evening. I can't recall the exact new capacity of BC Place, but that would appear to mean we are...20,ooo+ tickets away from a sellout. Even with the impressive outing on Saturday, I can't see the Lions shifting 4,ooo tickets a day between now and then.

I don't think a sellout is in the works.

Cheers,

James
Yeah 34,000 was a lot lower than I thought it would be. Hopefully with the winning streak and the hype for this week will sell some tickets. I thought they'd be over 40k by now.