Lions vs. Esks Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Will the Lions head into the bye week feeling good about themselves after a win or will we have to listen to Wally's post-game comments about lack of execution ?

I expect the Lions to start with some scripted playcalling with some new wrinkles, even a running play or two. After a couple of series, Chapdelaine will once again abandon the game plan and resort to throwing deep.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, with the Riders losing last evening, this is a good opporutnity to head into the bye on a positive note, and our schedule eases up for a couple of games afterwards.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Will the Lions head into the bye week feeling good about themselves after a win or will we have to listen to Wally's post-game comments about lack of execution ?

I expect the Lions to start with some scripted playcalling with some new wrinkles, even a running play or two. After a couple of series, Chapdelaine will once again abandon the game plan and resort to throwing deep.
On radio Angus Reid said that Jacques had the 3 QBs indicate 5 plays each to start the game. Those become the scripted plays. Democracy. Or perhaps it is just a way to take the heat off of Jacques. In any case, our first couple of series have tended to be pretty good.

Angus also said we do not change much at half time. The mindset is more of staying the course, staying with the game plan.
kacbru
prospect

WestCoastJoe wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Will the Lions head into the bye week feeling good about themselves after a win or will we have to listen to Wally's post-game comments about lack of execution ?

On radio Angus Reid said that Jacques had the 3 QBs indicate 5 plays each to start the game. Those become the scripted plays. Democracy. Or perhaps it is just a way to take the heat off of Jacques. In any case, our first couple of series have tended to be pretty good.

Angus also said we do not change much at half time. The mindset is more of staying the course, staying with the game plan.
Ok, so how about Jacques asks them to script 10 plays each. That should get us to half time. At half time they can do it again. No need to fire JC, he can still do his "I'm a little teapot" dance on the sidelines - Travis will already know the plays so he can ignore him. I don't see what's wrong with scripted plays. We don't make adjustments to what the defense is doing anyways.
David
Team Captain

The Lions' D had great success last week stopping Fred Reid and the Winnipeg ground game (24 rushes, 32 yards!). But I hope they didn't look at the Edm-Mtl game film and think they can just mail it in. The Esks are looking to RB Daniel Porter to provide the spark this week. He's more of a slasher than a plough ahead back like Messam, and was just deadly late last year when he joined the team (86 rushes, 603 yards). While he hasn't done much in limited touches this year, he can definitely do some damage. Something to watch out for.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hello RGM. Hello Dropsome Collins.

I have a feeling these guys will catch a few passes.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

II can't see those Edmonton receivers scaring anyone except Ricky Ray. RGM and Dobson Collins are not just stepping off a plane and into the starting lineup, they're playing the featured slotback positions normally occupied by Fred Stamps and Adarius Bowman. The Esks have simplified the playbook but that could work to the Lions' advantage. One mixup between quarterback and receiver could result in an interception.

And they have a new left tackle, Devin Tyler, who joined the team this week and will get his first CFL start against the Lions.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I can't see those Edmonton receivers scaring anyone except Ricky Ray. RGM and Dobson Collins are not just stepping off a plane and into the starting lineup, they're playing the featured slotback positions normally occupied by Fred Stamps and Adarius Bowman. The Esks have simplified the playbook but that could work to the Lions' advantage. One mixup between quarterback and receiver could result in an interception.
It will certainly be a good test.

Can Marcus Crandell and Ricky Ray get those guys integrated into their offence in this brief time?

Can those guys catch the ball?

I kind of think they will. Throw and catch. Play some street ball.

Game time 600. PCT
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

lets go get em boys!!
2012 Season Ticket Holder
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Edmonton 31
BC 17

Come on Lions prove me wrong! Just back from Vegas and still have a bad taste in my mouth from last Saturday's debacle at Empire. At the point now where I'm almost hoping for another ugly performance just to force much needed changes.
Nice to see Peterson is this week's scapegoat. Agreed it was a bad drop but amazing how Valli comes away unscathed despite 3 holding calls and getting eaten alive by one of Winnipeg's back-up interior lineman. Andrew Jones must be shaking his head, never mind what message that sends to the rest of the team other than Wally has his favourites.
Will the Lions abysmal 3rd quarters continue on offence?? Just an amazing run of futility that now at least has the media's attention.

The Alouettes overwhelmed the Eskimos just with the speed of their front 7. Hoping Benevides was paying attention.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Saw an Eskimo player (O-lineman, I think) wearing some kind of hat that looked like a Lionskin. What I mean is a shrunken Lions head and then the rest of the attached skin/fur hanging down the back of his neck. Message sent, IMO because this kind of weather fur type hats are not needed in Edm.

I think the Lions will play better, all three facets. Special teams will have a positive impact but I think the offence and defence struggle enough that we stay close until the fourth. Then, the Esks put us away by 10. Sure hope the run game of the Esks gets lost and/or forgotten about.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions' scratches (no surprises here): Kamau Peterson, Nick Moore, Tim Brown and J.R. Ruffin.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Hold onto the damn ball.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Hello RGM. Hello Dropsome Collins.

I have a feeling these guys will catch a few passes.

If we had developed a consistant ground attack with an integrated Harris, Lee, Brown and Robertson rotation from the beginning of this season we could exploit the 3-4 defence tonight, and maybe throw the Eskimos defense off-ballance using the run to set up a potent ariel attack winning us the game, but instead we will see the usual Chapball by the second half again tonight...oh well some things will never change.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lions' scratches (no surprises here): Kamau Peterson, Nick Moore, Tim Brown and J.R. Ruffin.
What ? Isn't Buono going to ask Brown to suck it up and play through his injury ?