Now is the time!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm surprised to hear that there are shortages of merchandise. One thing that impresses me more each year is the number men, women and kids I see with Lions jerseys, t-shirts, hats, blankets, flags, jackets and just about any type of team merchandise. I see it everywhere, in malls, department stores and small stores. My grandkids all have small kids' jerseys, cheerleader outfits and many other clothing items. There never used to be the selection of merchandise we have today.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Where did you purchase the merchandise for your grandkids ?
ziggy
Legend

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:BC Place is not large enough to support NFL minimum requirements, so for Aquilini to pursue NFL ownership, he would likely have to build his own barn or purchase BC Place and make yet more renovations....something that won't happen either way.
Not that I'd ever want an NFL team here (in fact I find it boring) but what is the minimum requirement? Oakland and Tampa Bay both averaged under 50 thousand per game last year, they had more seats, but no butts in them?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

ziggy wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:BC Place is not large enough to support NFL minimum requirements, so for Aquilini to pursue NFL ownership, he would likely have to build his own barn or purchase BC Place and make yet more renovations....something that won't happen either way.
Not that I'd ever want an NFL team here (in fact I find it boring) but what is the minimum requirement? Oakland and Tampa Bay both averaged under 50 thousand per game last year, they had more seats, but no butts in them?
Never fear the NFL will not be expanding outside Canada if they want to keep their anti-trust exemption. With the player lock out there were Democrats threatening to bring in legislation to eliminate this exemption which would be a certainty if they moved to Toronto.

People who speculate on the NFL coming to Canada know little about US politics. This exemption is huge and would be threatened if the NFL headed north. It was one thing for basketball to go north but football is really not likely to be a good candidate.

This anti-trust exemption was going to be attacked by Rep. John Conyers during the lockout:
"The 50-year-old broadcasting exemption, which allows the NFL to sign TV contracts on behalf of all teams, helped to transform the league into an economic powerhouse. The exemption also applies to professional baseball, basketball and hockey, but Conyers' bill would only rescind football's exemption."
This exemption paved the way for the merger of the NFL and AFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... =nfl-wp199
Tue Mar 15 01:22am EDT
House Judiciary Committee may seek to overturn NFL’s antitrust exemption

By Doug Farrar

The article also said this:
Conyers said that more than football is at stake in the lockout, pointing to the financial impact on "economically ravaged cities like Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Buffalo. In that context it is appropriate for Congress to revoke an exemption that serves to unbalance the playing field between the parties."
There are many US cities that would love an NFL team. Look at the furor in congress when the Colts left Baltimore. NFL is a huge economic boost and they will not let an owner move north to Canada without a fight.

In 2010, the NFL was taken to court by American Needle and while the NFL sought broader anti-trust protection the US Supreme Court blocked this. The trouble with NFL fans in Canada and sports casters is that they know nothing about the US political system nor the business of the NFL. American Needle were angry with this:
American Needle was one of many companies that made NFL headgear until the league awarded an exclusive contract to Reebok. Lower courts threw out American Needle's lawsuit, holding that nothing in antitrust law prohibits NFL teams from cooperating on apparel licensing so the league can compete against other forms of entertainment.
Supreme Court denies NFL's request for broad antitrust protection

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Supreme Court rejected the NFL's request for broad antitrust law protection Monday, saying it must be considered 32 separate teams -- not one big business -- when selling branded items like jerseys and caps.

"Although NFL teams have common interests such as promoting the NFL brand, they are still separate, profit-maximizing entities, and their interests in licensing team trademarks are not necessarily aligned," said retiring Justice John Paul Stevens, writing for an unanimous court.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
David
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:
...and would face stiff opposition from the Seahawks as they rely on this region for fan support.
The Seahawks don't rely on this region for fan support. They said last year they have 1,500 Canadian season-ticket holders. In Toronto, the media often claims "tens of thousands" of Bills fans are Canadian...but the Bills said last year the number of Canadian subscribers has increased 40% since the Bills in Toronto series began, they now have 7,000 subscription addresses from Canada (with the vast majority of those from Niagara/St. Catharines area, not Toronto.)
Let me clarify my statement. By "rely" I didn't mean franchise would go under if not for Canadian support, but you have to admit they have a presence up here. The season ticket holder number may be 1,500, but they still get single game business from the Van/Vic market. They also sell schwag (t-shirts, hats) up here. They have a radio deal with TEAM. There are a couple of community initiatives they partner in up here. This would be all be threatened, which is why I believe they'd never approve an expansion or relocation of a franchise....which would never get awarded anyway.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote: ...
Of course, if you follow the Canadian media's infatuation with all-things NFL, you might be persuaded the NFL is more popular...but the facts show just the opposite.
:roar:
I don't question your facts. They certainly paint a rosier picture than my personal experience. I know three guys who watched the ARENABOWL instead of CFL football. Arena Football!!!

I'm a diehard CFL fan who wishes more football fans followed the CFL. Whats funny to me is many of the NFL junkies I know love the passing game too. I'm glad the facts show the CFL is more popular here in Canada than the CFL.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

notahomer wrote: I know three guys who watched the ARENABOWL instead of CFL football. Arena Football!!!
Fact about notahomer: He admits he knows 3 morons.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
notahomer wrote: I know three guys who watched the ARENABOWL instead of CFL football. Arena Football!!!
Fact about notahomer: He admits he knows 3 morons.

:cool:
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

ziggy wrote: Not that I'd ever want an NFL team here (in fact I find it boring) but what is the minimum requirement? Oakland and Tampa Bay both averaged under 50 thousand per game last year, they had more seats, but no butts in them?
50000 is the minimum needed. The Bears with Soldier field have the smallest stadium currently at 61500 capacity..... but you also have to find a team willing to move. Keep in mind that there is no franchise still in LA, and if anyone on the west coast is getting a team its them.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008