Running-game gambit failed; Robertson may return

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Running-game gambit failed; Robertson may return

By Lowell Ullrich, The Province August 14, 2011

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Running+game ... z1V4CRbCvG

More baffling decisions here by the Lions HC and a Lowell Ullrich full out onslaught this weekend with the target Wally and his coaching and scouting efforts:
It can never be proven whether Buono’s insistence that his players try to fight through injuries has a demoralizing effect on the CFL team, but his move to reshape the running game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers backfired miserably.

It was evident from the opening kickoff that a hyperextended knee suffered by Brown a week earlier against the Saskatchewan Roughriders inhibited the explosive capability of the easygoing 26-year-old.
“I couldn’t really play my game,” Brown said after the 30-17 loss at Empire Field. “Coach kept telling me, ‘It’s a mind game, get over it and keep going.’ Sometimes you got to do some things to help the team win. He was right. You really don’t want to miss any games.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

We saw Brown struggling in practice just days before the game.

Wally had him returning kicks and in all honesty it looked like he could barely walk. All of us gave a collective headshake and wondered aloud wtf are you doing?

Guess we know why Paris doesn't play anymore now.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

I am starting to lose faith in Wally's decision making. Not just on the field but personnel wise. I went on record before this game that it was a mistake to bench Robertson - by far our best blocking tailback - against the powerful Bomber pass rush. It was also a mistake to play the injured Brown in his place, who was clearly a step slower. Better to rest Brown for the Bomber game and have him back healthy for an important divisional game next week (we dressed Kierrie Johnson for kick returns anyway, so Brown wasn't needed).

I like Andrew Harris a lot, but he's got to learn to hang onto the ball.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Took the Lions 4 friggin games to establish the resemblence of a running game. Now that they have it, they go ahead and make wholesale changes to the backfield. Isn't that typical of this regime ??

Another example of Buono telling the press one thing and the player another.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

If we need a blocking back....why is Lumbala so under utilized?

Other than special teams he seems invisible.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I am starting to lose faith in Wally's decision making. Not just on the field but personnel wise. I went on record before this game as stating it was a mistake to bench Robertson - by far our best blocking tailback - against the powerful Bomber pass rush. It was also a mistake to play the injured Brown in his place, who was clearly a step slower. Better to rest Brown for the Bomber game and have him back healthy for an important divisional game next week (we dressed Kierrie Johnson for kick returns anyway, so Brown wasn't needed).

I like Andrew Harris a lot, but he's got to learn to hang onto the ball.

DH :cool:
Harris does have to hang onto the ball and Valli has to learn to let go of his man, well perhaps use his good girth to get in front of his man, not just use his good looking body to mesmerize the DL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:If we need a blocking back....why is Lumbala so under utilized?

Other than special teams he seems invisible.
He's not the only one. Jamal Lee ?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:We saw Brown struggling in practice just days before the game.

Wally had him returning kicks and in all honesty it looked like he could barely walk. All of us gave a collective headshake and wondered aloud wtf are you doing?

Guess we know why Paris doesn't play anymore now.
Seriously though WCBF, why is Wally doing this to Brown one of his best players?

Is he so insensitive he couldn’t care less that he's injured?

Why doesn't he trade Paris if he has no use for him anymore?

Does he think that he will respond to languishing on the bench of Pasquale doghouse? :bang:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Robertson has said all the right things.... Lots of the players are saying all the right things.... Who is going to crack?

I sure hope our running game doesn't get tossed in the garbage can. According to the TSN panel all teams are having more trouble running the ball. More of that constant evolution and adaptation.
MacNews
Team Captain

David wrote:I am starting to lose faith in Wally's decision making. Not just on the field but personnel wise. I went on record before this game that it was a mistake to bench Robertson - by far our best blocking tailback - against the powerful Bomber pass rush
But David, "we don't use Robertson" and so "we don't need him in the lineup". I almost forgot to add the keywords, he is old, slow and has lost a step.

Signed,

Bandwagon Lions Fans
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

notahomer wrote:I sure hope our running game doesn't get tossed in the garbage can. According to the TSN panel all teams are having more trouble running the ball. More of that constant evolution and adaptation.
Not only is rushing down across the league this year, it's almost down to nothing for some teams lately. The Eskimos, who are leading the league in rushing attempts, put up negative yardage against Montreal on only 7 carries this week. The Bombers managed only 32 yards on 24 carries against the Lions (an average of 1.3 yards per carry).

This week's game will be an interestnig match-up of two struggling teams. The Esks have the most to worry about, having lost two straight and failing to have success running the ball or protecting Ricky Ray since he lost Fred Stamps as his go-to receiver. The Esks have their back-to-back Labour Day series with the Stamps after the bye, and don't want to head into that series on a three-game losing streak.
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Robertson has an injured achillies. So it's not like we benched him for no reason
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Robertson has an injured achillies. So it's not like we benched him for no reason
Is that true, or an injury of convenience?
Rammer
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:
Wakesbetterthanyou wrote:Robertson has an injured achillies. So it's not like we benched him for no reason
Is that true, or an injury of convenience?
Yes.
Entertainment value = an all time low