Travis Lulay talk and opinions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

kenny
Champion

Blitz wrote:As I mentioned in the post-game thread..

At this juncture last season, most thought Casey Printers was having a horrible season. Printers had a 55.% throwing average and an 81.4% quarterback efficiciency average. He was playing injured behind a makeshift offensive line that changed every week.

In comparison Travis Lulay is not hurt and is playing behind a very good offensive line achored by Ben Archibald at left tackle, last season's best offensive lineman, and he's made a huge difference in protecting our quarterback's blind side of the field. Lulay has a 55.2$ passing averge and a 78.6 quarterback efficiency average. No one thinks Lulay is playing horrible.

Yes, Travis has had some reciever drops this season but so did Printers last year and Printers had a lot less time to throw the football last season.

My comments have less to do with Printers that they do with perception. If we like the personal attributes of a quarterback we have a tendancy to rate his play more positively than he is actually performing and the inverse is also true.
Wow I remember thinking at this time last year how CP was stinking up the joint, and this your thinking Lulays numbers are not bad. I didn't realize their numbers were so close. But it was not the first time nor will it be the last time where my perception of someone as a person effects my judgements of them as a player.
pennw
Legend

kenny wrote: Wow I remember thinking at this time last year how CP was stinking up the joint, and this your thinking Lulays numbers are not bad. I didn't realize their numbers were so close. But it was not the first time nor will it be the last time where my perception of someone as a person effects my judgements of them as a player.
Your memory is not faultly . This is definately a case where numbers don't tell the whole story . Sour grapes can skew judgemnent just as much other factors.
Lulay has far more drops , more than should be expected ,that have brought his numbers down . Lulay gets pulled every time it's first and goal , that brings his numbers down also . What the numbers don't show is the respect Lulay has from his team mates , nor his determination , nor his composure . He has the intangibles . He's young and at only the start of his career , it's too bad some have to bash him because of resentment , sour grapes (or whatever) they have due to the Printers affair .
Notice Kenny , that no one else has picked up Printers , ask your self why . Do you think Lulay would be not wanted by anyone else if he became a free agent ? Printers is gone and Lulay is our QB now should we not just show him our support ? To bad the controversy just can't be laid to rest . It certainly is not his fault what happened with Printers , and he shouldn't keep getting bashed because of it .
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

difference between Printers last year and Lulay now is where they are on the learning and experience curve. For Printers to put up the same numbers as Lulay this yr would be simply pathetic.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Lulay is all upward potential in all facets of his game. Wally made the right call to dump Casey and see if Lulay was the one.

I honestly think Printers is gone not for the yelling incident or other stuff but because at that juncture of the season it was clear he was hurt, not able to do more or play better and the Lions needed a healthy QB now and for the future. The Lions then decided it was a good to test Lulay to see if he is their next one and nothing he has did last year or this year suggests that with a better team all over that he wouldn't be able to win games. They weren't having a great year and the more they gave Travis a shot and time the better he'd be and faster. I think too that is why we are not likely to see Jackson at QB. It is Lulay all the way now as he needs game and experience and playing him is the right thing to do now.

While it is true you can always focus in on that play or two at the end of game that if made by the QB- means a win, but if not made is a loss - the reality is that if that is the case then there were other things earlier on in that game if done better would likely have meant that they did not that one or two big plays to win. The Lions issues this year have been all of them imaginable for a team from errors late in a game by Lulay, play calling early on, defense failing and coaches decisions. They have put a season's worth of troubles into their first 5 games and of course lost them all.

The losses mean they can't do with Mike Reilly what happened with Pierce early on and that is play Reilly. Buck got lucky from that first exhibition game in Regina in 05 where JJ got lost for the year virtually on that first play from scrimmage with a thumb injury and then I think Printers got banged up and Buck comes in in the 4th Q and brings them from a loss to a win. Then later I recall Buck shooting out the lights when Hamilton was in BC Place and Wally having to defend the QB from running up the score. Only Dan Russell complained that Wally put his no. 3 QB and he was brilliant.

This is definitely Lulay's job and he is not going to lose it -nor should he based on what's done so far. He is not the team issue here. Of course if Reilly had the chance to play and pulled a Buck - then you might get a QB controversy but with how this year is going not sure we will see MR soon but in football anything can and does happen.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

pennw wrote: Your memory is not faultly . This is definately a case where numbers don't tell the whole story . Sour grapes can skew judgemnent just as much other factors.
Lulay has far more drops , more than should be expected ,that have brought his numbers down . Lulay gets pulled every time it's first and goal , that brings his numbers down also . What the numbers don't show is the respect Lulay has from his team mates , nor his determination , nor his composure . He has the intangibles . He's young and at only the start of his career , it's too bad some have to bash him because of resentment , sour grapes (or whatever) they have due to the Printers affair .
Notice Kenny , that no one else has picked up Printers , ask your self why . Do you think Lulay would be not wanted by anyone else if he became a free agent ? Printers is gone and Lulay is our QB now should we not just show him our support ? To bad the controversy just can't be laid to rest . It certainly is not his fault what happened with Printers , and he shouldn't keep getting bashed because of it .
Printers was also playing on one knee with no offensive line support.
Roar you Lions roar!
pennw
Legend

The_Pauser wrote:
pennw wrote: Your memory is not faultly . This is definately a case where numbers don't tell the whole story . Sour grapes can skew judgemnent just as much other factors.
Printers was also playing on one knee with no offensive line support.
I wasn't trying to slag Printers here , just defending Lulay . It wasn't me who brought Printers up in this after all .
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:difference between Printers last year and Lulay now is where they are on the learning and experience curve. For Printers to put up the same numbers as Lulay this yr would be simply pathetic.
Put the current OL in front of Printers and he likely isn't injured as he was in 2010, plus he has more time to find a receiver. I am sure that his numbers would be better, but realistically neither this year or last years stats are going to be GC winners unless you have the Bombers D.
Entertainment value = an all time low
The_Pauser
Legend

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:difference between Printers last year and Lulay now is where they are on the learning and experience curve. For Printers to put up the same numbers as Lulay this yr would be simply pathetic.
Put the current OL in front of Printers and he likely isn't injured as he was in 2010, plus he has more time to find a receiver. I am sure that his numbers would be better, but realistically neither this year or last years stats are going to be GC winners unless you have the Bombers D.
Agreed. I really think Printers would have been very successful here with this years O-Line. Alas, it was not to be. I do think Lulay needs to improve, but I'm willing to be patient with him because he has shown flashes. I also absolutely love the heart he shows and his toughness. He definitely has a moxy to him that screams "leader"
Roar you Lions roar!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lulay has got to learn to get rid of the football and avoid the sack if nothing is there.
Irishland
Rookie

I would like to see Lulay sit out next game and observe from the sidelines. I think no matter who we put in there we will lose. Lulay seems to be getting frustrated which is rare for him. I still think he will be good just not anytime soon
May you find peace Ripper
The_Pauser
Legend

Irishland wrote:I would like to see Lulay sit out next game and observe from the sidelines. I think no matter who we put in there we will lose. Lulay seems to be getting frustrated which is rare for him. I still think he will be good just not anytime soon
Can you blame him for being frustrated though? Just like could you blame Jarious for being frustrated last night (the couple times his throws were on target but still dropped)? Just like could you blame Casey for being frustrated last year? Or Buck in seasons past? I'm noticing a trend here...
Roar you Lions roar!
Irishland
Rookie

The_Pauser wrote:
Irishland wrote:I would like to see Lulay sit out next game and observe from the sidelines. I think no matter who we put in there we will lose. Lulay seems to be getting frustrated which is rare for him. I still think he will be good just not anytime soon
Can you blame him for being frustrated though? Just like could you blame Jarious for being frustrated last night (the couple times his throws were on target but still dropped)? Just like could you blame Casey for being frustrated last year? Or Buck in seasons past? I'm noticing a trend here...
While i think he is improving, he has along way to go. It seems when he throws purrfect (what the hell, thought i had a spelling mistake) passes they end up dropping it or fumble. When he overthrows it must not do good for his confidence.
May you find peace Ripper
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Every time there is talk about Lulay, it reminds me so much about Anthony Calvillo. We all remember how inconsistent he was at the start of his career showing flashes of brilliance and then stinking the joint out. Any one remember what Roy Dewalt was like in his early days as a QB? He threw all kinds of bad balls but he turned out ok in the end too. Consistency comes from playing time. In general, it isn't the QB that is getting the blame for most of the losses we have seen in the last three seasons. We have far more culpable suspects than at pivot. All Travis needs to do at this point is keep focusing on learning and improving. The consistency will come. He may need some reminding not to get too down on himself. We might all be a bit surprised at the improvement if we ever get a different OC and more creative playbook in action. We have had a number of pivots in place since Dave Dickenson and none of them have really thrived here. One is now currently the #1 on the best team on the league. Has he suddenly become a different QB? Not really. He is in a better scheme, probably playing a bit smarter with regard to his health and is maybe a bit wiser in his increasing years. Travis Lulay looks every bit as good as Buck did at that stage of his career and maybe better. Reminds me more of Jeff Garcia than Dickenson though. They should keep playing him but be prepared to sit him out a series or two if things are going bad and let him watch and learn, then put him back in. That should be explained to him too so that it doesn't get him down.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Lulay will never be Calvillo, so let's not kid ourselves. Calvillo has always been able to have a very quick release. In the early days, it wasn't always to the correct player, but it was always quick.

Lulay hangs on to the ball....for a very long time. Rather than doing, it seems he is thinking. And when he starts thinking, he over compensates. Add in a slow release and there is your problem. The best guys in this league may not be the most athletic but they all have one thing in common...that quick release.

Lulay reminds me of Stefan Lefors, the ex Bomber QB. Athletic, talented, but always over thinks the play rather than react on instinct. ( Would that be "execute" in Wallyspeak?)
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Lulay hangs on to the ball....for a very long time.
Reminds you of anyone ? Dave Dickenson, Casey Printers, Buck Pierce ? Same old playbook, same results. Quarterbacks take a beating under our offensive philosophy.