Now is the time!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

swervynmerv
Legend

We all have opinions on what is plaguing the Lions and in reality there is not one issue, it is many things occuring at different times. To me this indicates a team that is in complete dissaray with a culture of losing ingrained into it.

I don't buy the opinion that you cant make changes mid-season. We are already 1-6 and with a road game in Edmonton next week, most likely 1-7 again to start the season, how can things get worse?

IMHO Wally and the coaches have lost the players and they are tuning them out. A change in staff will/can breath some fresh air into the team and maybe help salvage this season and start the process of re-building now instead of waiting for the end of the year when we are 5-13.

I can think of many options, but these are mine:

1. Wally: Finish the year but bring in Dave Ritchie as a consultant. Start scouring the NFL and colleges for players. Get Shiv to find a rush end!!

2. OC: Goodbye Chap! How about making Jarious the OC? He knows the playbook, the players respect him and say he is a "father-figure". Why not let him run the offence. Move Reilly to 2nd string and find a third guy.

3. DC: Promote Baron Miles. As a veteran safety, he has a wealth of knowledge on formation and schemes. Again, he knows the playbook.

These changes could occur THIS WEEK without much of disruption to the current playbook, but would send a message to the team. After the Edmonton game, we are going into a bye week so that gives us extra time to work on some things with the new staff. At the end of the year, see where we are and depending on how we do, make them permanent or go out and hire Dave Dickenson or Scott Milanovich and let them hire their own staff.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:We all have opinions on what is plaguing the Lions and in reality there is not one issue, it is many things occuring at different times. To me this indicates a team that is in complete dissaray with a culture of losing ingrained into it.

I don't buy the opinion that you cant make changes mid-season. We are already 1-6 and with a road game in Edmonton next week, most likely 1-7 again to start the season, how can things get worse?

IMHO Wally and the coaches have lost the players and they are tuning them out. A change in staff will/can breath some fresh air into the team and maybe help salvage this season and start the process of re-building now instead of waiting for the end of the year when we are 5-13.

1. Wally: Finish the year but bring in Dave Ritchie as a consultant. Start scouring the NFL and colleges for players. Get Shiv to find a rush end!!

2. OC: Goodbye Chap! How about making Jarious the OC? He knows the playbook, the players respect him and say he is a "father-figure". Why not let him run the offence. Move Reilly to 2nd string and find a third guy.

3. DC: Promote Baron Miles. As a veteran safety, he has a wealth of knowledge on formation and schemes. Again, he knows the playbook.

These changes could occur THIS WEEK without much of disruption to the current playbook, but would send a message to the team. After the Edmonton game, we are going into a bye week so that gives us extra time to work on some things with the new staff. At the end of the year, see where we are and depending on how we do, make them permanent or go out and hire Dave Dickenson or Scott Milanovich and let them hire their own staff.
Is this rock bottom yet? :wink:

OMG, we could go lower.

David Braley is just not going to make any drastic changes. Perhaps not even after this season. OK, he might make changes in Toronto. If he does that, it would take some mental manipulations to not make changes in B.C.

It seems to me we are stuck. Stuck in the mud. No hope in sight.

It looked like the team tanked in the third quarter. Not intentionally. Just one of those things where, in your discouragement, you kind of let your guard down. And you get destroyed. It's one way to end the misery.

We can plan, and think, and try to find ways to right the ship, but change needs Braley to act, to decide to act. Can't see it happening. It is about time for another endorsement by him, I suppose. "Haven't even thought of making a change." Kind of like that.

Perhaps we need to start calling for a new owner. As good as Braley has been for the league, he is so hands off, so slow to move. Kind of puts us between a rock and a hard place. Just like the team.

What chairs can Wally shuffle on the Titanic this week? How can he distract the jackals of the media, including fan sites, from their criticism this week? Acquiring Arland Bruce certainly took the heat off coaching/management for one week. Not much help on the field however. Wally is certainly in change mode, although the change is kind of desperate, and not effective. And not anywhere near deep enough. And not change involving himself, either.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The biggest tragedy of all of this is that it seems all the hard earned work of Bob Ackles is going down the tubes. When he returned to the Lions. He found a football team from the front office on down that was in complete disarray. He brought his wealth of knowledge and unique chemistry to bear and put most of the things that had been plaguing the Lions right. Now that he is gone, all that was wrong with the team seems to be returning. Unfortunately, there are few Bobby Ackles around and even if we could identify one, the likelihood that they would be available is virtually nil. It's a shame really. He deserves a better legacy than this.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
tigerrr22
Starter

swervynmerv wrote:We all have opinions on what is plaguing the Lions and in reality there is not one issue, it is many things occuring at different times. To me this indicates a team that is in complete dissaray with a culture of losing ingrained into it.

Good post Mervyn! Some changes to the coaching needed right now but in a fashion as not to completely rock the boat until the end of the season! I believe Wally should be solely the GM next season. He should coach out his last year with the opportunity to be in a Vancouver Grey Cup. (Despite how remote a chance of this has become.) I'd like to see Rich Stubler back in BC to DC the team. I'd like to see Dave Dickenson brought in as a head coach next season. And Jarious Jackson to become OC and 4th string QB next year too. The message needs to be sent. David Braley needs to initiate the changes mentioned now and for next year. Here's my vision for the team next year as mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

Pres: Scott Ackles
GM: Wally Buono
HC: Dave Dickenson
OC: Jarious Jackson
DC: Rich Stubler
QB1: Travis Lulay
QB2: Mike Reilly
QB3: ? (yet to be determined)
QB4: Jarious Jackson

Chapdelaine needs to go today. Benevides at the end of this season. The co-ordinators are the only people yet to be blamed. Our future head coach needs to be an X's and O's coach who can help the quarterbacking reach the next level. (Dickenson.) Our DC needs to have player contacts to entice some new blood on the d-line and secondary. (Stubler. I'll add that Sol-E rocks!) Our OC needs to know what is here and can find the missing pieces to secure the running game and also ensure the QB's stay as healthy as possible. Who can work effectively with X's and O's with the head coach and who can bridge the old offence with one that has a new head coach to over see the changes. (Jarious Jackson.)

Wally can be an excellent GM if he has only the GM role. I think it's very tough to have your GM be your HC too. The business contradicting the motivational skills to inspire players to get it done on the field. Players need to trust their coaches 100% of the time. They need to focus solely on the games and practises once the contract is signed. Leaving only a call to meet the GM in his office as a reason to be distracted. Singular agendas for each man involved will add to the focus required for the sum of the parts to add up to a winning culture. 2011 is about winning one for Wally. It's his career earned right to coach out this season but some immediate changes are needed in order for any Grey Cup appearance to be a possibility. Let alone the miracle of hosting a playoff game.

Dominic In Vancouver :roar:
Last edited by tigerrr22 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swervynmerv
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:We can plan, and think, and try to find ways to right the ship, but change needs Braley to act, to decide to act. Can't see it happening. It is about time for another endorsement by him, I suppose. "Haven't even thought of making a change." Kind of like that.
You are dead on WCJ! Braley needs to make a choice. I know there is no chance of him getting rid of Wally, but I think he needs to pressure him into making the other "necessary" changes.

Sir Purrcival couldn't be more right. What would Bob think of his beloved franchise now. Someone said it on the post-game show last night. This team started to slide the day Bob Ackles passed away. Wally lost his sounding board and trusted "football" confidant. I believe Wally knows what changes need to be made, his loyalty is holding him back. Bob would have been the person Wally would have listened to, now he really has no one.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

swervynmerv wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:We can plan, and think, and try to find ways to right the ship, but change needs Braley to act, to decide to act. Can't see it happening. It is about time for another endorsement by him, I suppose. "Haven't even thought of making a change." Kind of like that.
You are dead on WCJ! Braley needs to make a choice. I know there is no chance of him getting rid of Wally, but I think he needs to pressure him into making the other "necessary" changes.

Sir Purrcival couldn't be more right. What would Bob think of his beloved franchise now. Someone said it on the post-game show last night. This team started to slide the day Bob Ackles passed away. Wally lost his sounding board and trusted "football" confidant. I believe Wally knows what changes need to be made, his loyalty is holding him back. Bob would have been the person Wally would have listened to, now he really has no one.
Seems so obvious but its true, IMO.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:The biggest tragedy of all of this is that it seems all the hard earned work of Bob Ackles is going down the tubes. When he returned to the Lions. He found a football team from the front office on down that was in complete disarray. He brought his wealth of knowledge and unique chemistry to bear and put most of the things that had been plaguing the Lions right. Now that he is gone, all that was wrong with the team seems to be returning. Unfortunately, there are few Bobby Ackles around and even if we could identify one, the likelihood that they would be available is virtually nil. It's a shame really. He deserves a better legacy than this.
We've gone a complete circle. The Lions are a team in complete disarray. Time for another Ackles to run the club.......Scott Ackles.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Why stop there? I mean Scott Ackles certainly could take the Club Presidents reign from Skulsky....but why not have Braley sell the team to Francesco Aquilini?
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
tigerrr22
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:The biggest tragedy of all of this is that it seems all the hard earned work of Bob Ackles is going down the tubes. When he returned to the Lions. He found a football team from the front office on down that was in complete disarray. He brought his wealth of knowledge and unique chemistry to bear and put most of the things that had been plaguing the Lions right. Now that he is gone, all that was wrong with the team seems to be returning. Unfortunately, there are few Bobby Ackles around and even if we could identify one, the likelihood that they would be available is virtually nil. It's a shame really. He deserves a better legacy than this.
We've gone a complete circle. The Lions are a team in complete disarray. Time for another Ackles to run the club.......Scott Ackles.
Look at the excellent work he's done with the 2011 Grey Cup. Already sold out! I agree fully. Scott Ackles should fill the void left by the tragic loss of Bobby Ackles. The Ackles are winners!

Dominic in Vancouver :beauty:
tigerrr22
Starter

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Why stop there? I mean Scott Ackles certainly could take the Club Presidents reign from Skulsky....but why not have Braley sell the team to Francesco Aquilini?
Aquilini would only want to make money. He would only look to NFL pursuits if he owned the Lions. Aquilini is not in anything for the love of it. He's only interested in money. I think the CFL would have a major problem, in Vancouver, if Aquilini gained control of football in Vancouver and inside BC Place. After Braley's much appreciated time I think a consortium of local owners would make the most sense. A group that could include beloved former athletes, corporate & business leaders, celebrities etc. synonymous to the Province.

Ownership by committee would see votes cast to decide on GM changes, coaching changes, etc. It would form as strong a bond as possible between the team and the province. A mixture of corporate, athletic, celebrity and local business leadership could serve the team and province well, and minimize any individual financial losses incurred during 1-6 type seasons.

The CFL is not about big profits beyond some TV deal glory either. It's about heritage, Canadian sovereignity, a unity from east to west and a league that's led by owners for the love of the game and this country. Save the "money only" aspects, lack of fun and lack of soul for the NFL! That's where the big "Aquilini style" money and ownership belongs.

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
Last edited by tigerrr22 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Not to knock you Dominic, but I heard the same thing when Aquilini was trying to buy the Canucks.

I would much rather have 1 owner with deep pockets than a consortium of locals.

Is there anything wrong with trying to make money? Under Braley my tickets have gone from $17 to $45 in 3 years and the product on the field is hardly stellar. Aquilini isn't stupid. To get people in the stands you have to build a product. The Canucks were stuck in a rut of mediocrity for years until he came in and hired the right people. Now he is reaping the rewards along with the revenue thanks to making smart choices in hiring.

Put a good product on the field, put the right people in management, get better marketing than what you have and people will turn out in droves.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I would be happy to give Aquiliini a chance at ownership.

It would be pocket change for him.

Would he be interested?

I have great respect for what David Braley has done for the Lions and the CFL. But he seems more and more like a long distance, absentee owner, who has delegated every football decision to Wally Buono. I would like to see Braley sell the team now.
tigerrr22
Starter

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Not to knock you Dominic, but I heard the same thing when Aquilini was trying to buy the Canucks.

I would much rather have 1 owner with deep pockets than a consortium of locals.

Is there anything wrong with trying to make money? Under Braley my tickets have gone from $17 to $45 in 3 years and the product on the field is hardly stellar. Aquilini isn't stupid. To get people in the stands you have to build a product. The Canucks were stuck in a rut of mediocrity for years until he came in and hired the right people. Now he is reaping the rewards along with the revenue thanks to making smart choices in hiring.

Put a good product on the field, put the right people in management, get better marketing than what you have and people will turn out in droves.
I don't think Aquilini could contain himself to pursue merely CFL football when the possibilty of the NFL is staring him in the face. That is the flaw I see in him owning the Lions. I don't question his intelligence. I only question his motives.

Dominc In Vancouver :2cents:
The_Pauser
Legend

So 1 year later, different QB at the helm, same poor results. Casey was made into a scapegoat last year and while it looked like it may have been true after we turned the ship around, we're right back where we were one year later. Is it the players? Or the coaching? Tough to blame the players when despite adding new players on a consistent basis no one seems to be able to execute the scheme.

I think we probably have to suffer the rest of the season with the same crap that's on our plate. If we turn things around, I strongly see someone like Benevides or Chapdelaine promoted to HC next year. More failures coming. If we continue our craptacular season, then perhaps we clean house. One name who I want to see considered for a HC job is Scott Milanovich. He has done wonders in Montreal as their OC and has apprenticed under the best coach in the CFL. Failure to bring him in, Glen Constantin is another name who we should take a serious look at. He's been the top coach in CIS for years and has built an absolutely dominant team in Laval for the past decade.
Roar you Lions roar!
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

BC Place is not large enough to support NFL minimum requirements, so for Aquilini to pursue NFL ownership, he would likely have to build his own barn or purchase BC Place and make yet more renovations....something that won't happen either way.