The Armchair GM Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Irishland
Rookie

I thought it would be fun to see people's thinking if they were the GM of the team. What moves would you make? Coach? Scouts? Players? Trades? This can change from week to week after seeing the teams performance.

I don't know enuff about Pigskins to warrant the role but good luck to you guys
May you find peace Ripper
Irishland
Rookie

What do you think it would take to get Chad Kackert out of Toronto. He shows tons of potential but still making rookie mistakes. I think if taught right he can become a premier running back in the CFL
joe kapp22
Legend

Short term, you have to let the squad gell, they have added a lot of Veterans that need to learn the system on Offence and Defence.

My larger concern would be sifting around for a NI DE, as Brent Johnson won't play forever, and maybe finding some bodies as Sol-E could be setting sail in January, ditto Olifaye, who is in the wings to step in? Also would hope that Iannuzzi can see some more reps at Wr.

I'd also hire Wade, who was an unpaid US advisor, the scouting budget needs a boost.

Also think about locking up Khalif Mitchell as Aaron Hunt may be healthy this yr, but he is not playing like Aaron Hunt did at one time.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Irishland
Rookie

Well after last nights performance i would fire both the OC and DC and replace them with anyone at this point. The old saying is you shouldn't make change just for the sake of change. Well i think that is exactly what we need, some fresh ideas, some new blood, some revamped thinking. Just take us away from the old guard please. :pray:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I've had enough of the Buono era. Since the passing of Bob Ackles the Lions have been on a downward slide with Buono at the helm. His team for the past few season have been characterized by poor personnel decisions, bad coaching, poor tackling, penalties, inability to make in game adjustments, players run out of town because they disagree with the coaches. After each loss we've been fed a steady diet of excuses (not the coaching, it's the players' lack of execution, yadda yadda yadda). Who exactly is running the team ? Is it GM/Coach Wally Buono or is it the Players' Council who decides who stays and who goes, how practices /training camp is run ? There are some fans out there who is opposed to making mid season changes citing the reason that there is no qualified people who can take over. I respectfully disagree. To do nothing is to surrender. It's the fan base that ultimately runs the club. Fans are fed up with these clowns running the team. At this rate, there won't be much of a fan base left to build on.

There is a person in town with a good football pedigree that I would like see run the club. His name is Scott Ackles, currently Head of the Grey Cup committee. He was the former General Manager for the Calgary Stampeders and he won the Grey Cup. My .02
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

TheLionKing wrote: His name is Scott Ackles, currently Head of the Grey Cup committee. He was the former General Manager for the Calgary Stampeders and he won the Grey Cup.
Scott Ackles was never the GM of the Calgary Stampeders.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
David
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
TheLionKing wrote: His name is Scott Ackles, currently Head of the Grey Cup committee. He was the former General Manager for the Calgary Stampeders and he won the Grey Cup.
Scott Ackles was never the GM of the Calgary Stampeders.
Not only that but you could strike that name off the list as long as Braley is owner (apart from his undying loyalty to Buono).

Matt Sekeres was on TEAM radio (IIRC it was about 2 yrs ago) and, while short on specfics, he did offer up that tension exists between Scott Ackles and David Braley. Something about it being so bad, that Braley didn't arrive in Calgary 'til Grey Cup Sunday when they hosted and Ackles was the Stamps President.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar