How To Fix This Mess?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bbking
Starter

Fix it with DUCT TAPE. We duct tape a head set onto Wally's head. Someone upstairs sees the opponent's knee touch the turf before he scampers for a 71 yard gain. Then yell at wally through the duct taped headset "THROW THE CHALLENGE FLAG WALLY THROW THE FLAG". While we are at it we can tape a hat or visor on his head so he can see the field. Maybe tape a clip board to his hand. I dont really care what's on the clip board, just to see the clip board would make me think he has some ideas of what to do.

Here is an example of what said clip board might contain:

1. Turn on headset.
2. Pick up milk after game.
3. Give JJ a chance to earn his money.
4. Listen to important message on headset ........like Throw the flag.......or Don't throw the flag.
5. Go on lionbackers after game to get some more good ideas.

Of course I am sure we could really fill up the clip borad, more like turn it into a book.

So that is how we fix the mess with good old DUCK TAPE. Red green would be proud.
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

bbking wrote:Fix it with DUCT TAPE. We duct tape a head set onto Wally's head. Someone upstairs sees the opponent's knee touch the turf before he scampers for a 71 yard gain. Then yell at wally through the duct taped headset "THROW THE CHALLENGE FLAG WALLY THROW THE FLAG". While we are at it we can tape a hat or visor on his head so he can see the field. Maybe tape a clip board to his hand. I dont really care what's on the clip board, just to see the clip board would make me think he has some ideas of what to do.

1. Turn on headset.
4. Listen to important message on headset ........like Throw the flag.......or Don't throw the flag.

Of course I am sure we could really fill up the clip borad, more like turn it into a book.

So that is how we fix the mess with good old DUCK TAPE. Red green would be proud.
:wink: :wink: :thup: :thup:
tigerrr22
Starter

JohnHenry wrote:While Phillips has looked weak on occassion tackling, he's still a very good cover man...and is experienced. Anybody else we plug in there is going to be worse, until he can gain experience and gel with the backfield. It'd be better to break-in a new halfback in training camp next year.

To help our backfield gel as a unit, I'd move the DB's back to their familiar positions: Sanchez on the corner; LaRose at safety; Phillips at hb; then move Banks to hb with Marsh at corner. With Reddick, Dennis or Ruffin as the 5th DB.

Just because Sanchez got beat on a spectacular long pass doesn't mean he can't play corner anymore. Like LaRose, what they give up in speed they can make up in experience on 95% of the plays. Once their arms heal-up, non-tackling shouldn't be an issue. With Banks teaming up with Marsh, that should really solidify that side. Offences can try the other side, but Sanchez and Phillips are ball hawks. LaRose is our best bet at safety at this time, IMO.

On offence, I've noticed Lulay throws really well on the run. He hasn't needed to scramble much this year as the OL has pass-blocked well, but an occasional roll-out or sprint-out would put pressure on the LB's not to crowd the box (and open up passing lanes). The book on Travis seems to be pressure him with blitzes, but the RB's/scheme haven't done a good job at blocking the blitz. Sometimes the Lions go with an empty backfield with 6 receivers...or a token tight-end/receiver (whose not a great blocker).

Instead, I'd keep a blocking back in more often, even use twin blockers (a blocking TE and blocking RB) to give Travis ultimate protection. If the blitz backs off, then the RB can flare-out as the safety valve (or sneak across the LOS for an easy 7-8 yd pass & run). This would mean playing 4 or 5 receivers...not 5 or 6. While J. Lee hasn't excelled at blocking yet, perhaps he should be groomed as the FB and kept in to block on more plays (while offering a potential offensive threat).
:roar:
Good points JH! Also using two backs or one back with a TE you're able to run the ball with more better times found to do so. Lulay can throw very well on the run. He's tougher to sack when running before the rush is really on him. Shot gun....roll wide side....set feet and throw to the open lanes as they appear. It's a good way to tire out LB's and secondarys, too, because plays can last three or four seconds longer. Maybe some "hurry up" surprises could add to the pressure put on a defence so that running north/south can become more effective. It would help Angus Reid gain some strength "up the gut" with his first push. Be more like the days of Holt (TE), Key and #20 except that Tagge or Pao Pao can run! Flutie type magic could be found with Lulay I think!

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Let me preface this post by stating "without changing the coaches."
I respect what you're trying to do here, but until this happens, you're fixing gunshot wounds with band aids.
joe kapp22
Legend

bbking wrote:Fix it with DUCT TAPE. We duct tape a head set onto Wally's head. Someone upstairs sees the opponent's knee touch the turf before he scampers for a 71 yard gain. Then yell at wally through the duct taped headset "THROW THE CHALLENGE FLAG WALLY THROW THE FLAG". While we are at it we can tape a hat or visor on his head so he can see the field. Maybe tape a clip board to his hand. I dont really care what's on the clip board, just to see the clip board would make me think he has some ideas of what to do.

1. Turn on headset.

I just rewatched that play on TSN, could not tell if his knee touched or not as there was only view of the play, is there another view on film somewhere?

Did notice Williams running through 3 ersatz tackles before Phillips arrived.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/51500 ... ze=620x400

Now Krieger gets a thumbs up from me on this cartoon.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Sums up what's wrong with our defence doesn't it ?
notahomer
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Sums up what's wrong with our defence doesn't it ?
Yup! Great humour is often making a connection on two unrelated topics. Did a great job of using Gene's appearance to make a cartoon that got a chuckle out of me. Maybe McCallum will get Gene to autograph one next time he's in town....
Rammer
Team Captain

I wish the Wally Buono who gives the speech that his job is to find someone better than the current starter would show up when the DB's take the practice.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
I wish the Wally Buono who gives the speech that his job is to find someone better than the current starter would show up when the DB's take the practice.
I think your post has two problems. Wally has done that speech before and this schtick has worn thin here in BC with this core group. Lions could look at how many Ticats were gone due to not being up to the Lions needs.

Secondly. S.A.W. This regime has S.A.W. in place and it is clear as coaches and players leave that they go if they W they might not S.

I agree with David. Forget firing coaches.

If you were advising Wally to his face and IF he listened instead of run video to all who come to his office showing how players screw up, what we would be saying.

It is actually time for truth to be spoken to these coaches and by all these coaches without fear or risk to their jobs.

It is a time that Wally might be saying to everyone now - Not one of us is getting a pass here.

Everyone coach, player, trainer, equipment guy, etc has to sit down and be prepared to speak candidly on four things (can be coaches and players):

1. What are we doing well that we should continue to do and that is working for our success?

2. What are we not doing that we should be doing?

3. We are we doing poorly that we need to improve on?

4. What are we doing that we should not be doing at all?

The ground rules have to be that speaking candidly is not going to be punished as long as you speak responsibly and reflect on your own role as well and what you can do more of to better this team. It can be tough to do as players and coaches know that those who suggest a different tune seem to disappear at the end of the season or get demoted mid year.

This is a bit risky but if done positively it might identify for Wally what they need to do and what they are missing here.

It also works best if Wally can settle the positions down and keep some continuity in personnel to get players focused on doing what it takes to win games.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
I wish Wally would give the speech that his job is to find someone better and then go out and hire a new Head Coach.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
woody
Champion

Do the opposite Wally,it worked for George!

Kris75
prospect

I think the coaches are great, with the exception of Chap.

Benevides is a great defensive mind, but if you are on the field all game long, how can you stop the other teams offence?

When DD was here, even though Chap was the OC, the offence stayed on the field. That's because DD is a football mind and knew how to run the coaches plays in his own unique ways. Smart. I am not saying Lulay isn't smart, but he is no DD.

Look at what Chap did to Ricky Ray when he went to Edmonton. RR was and is one of the best Qb's the league has ever seen. Chap was there for 1 year and RR was a mess for 2. It took him 2 years to get over whatever Chap did to his game.

I know the title says no coaching changes, but what about bringing in a offensive "assistant" to tweak play calling during the game. Until game 4 we did not score a TD in the first quarter. The problem is not the D, it's Chap.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I disagree that Benevides is a great defensive mind. Last week the offence was on the field for a large portion of the game, yet the defence still surrendered 39 points. You can't fault the offence for tiring out the defence. Last year Reid of Winnipeg and Cobb of Hamilton shredded the Lions' run defence for career games.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Kris75 wrote:I think the coaches are great, with the exception of Chap.

Benevides is a great defensive mind, but if you are on the field all game long, how can you stop the other teams offence?

When DD was here, even though Chap was the OC, the offence stayed on the field. That's because DD is a football mind and knew how to run the coaches plays in his own unique ways. Smart. I am not saying Lulay isn't smart, but he is no DD.

Look at what Chap did to Ricky Ray when he went to Edmonton. RR was and is one of the best Qb's the league has ever seen. Chap was there for 1 year and RR was a mess for 2. It took him 2 years to get over whatever Chap did to his game.

I know the title says no coaching changes, but what about bringing in a offensive "assistant" to tweak play calling during the game. Until game 4 we did not score a TD in the first quarter. The problem is not the D, it's Chap.
The myths about Ricky Ray pop up occasionally. The facts are that since coming back from the NFL in 2005, his two best seasons were 2007 under Chapdelaine (101.6 QB rating) and 2008 under Rick Worman (101.8 QB rating).

As for the Lions' defensive woes being the fault of the offence, there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. The Lions had five more offensive plays than Hamilton last week but gave up 119 more yards. The Lions are third in the league in scoring, third in first downs and touchdowns and fourth in total offence (just three yards behind Calgary). Opponents are doing a lot of their scoring at the start of games, before the B.C. defence has a chance to get warmed up, let alone worn down. The Lions have given up an average 20 points per game in the first half and 14 in the second half. The fourth quarter has been the best for B.C.'s defence, with just one TD given up (by Cobourne in the final minute last week).

B.C.'s defensive woes are primarily the result of sloppy tackling. We can blame coaches for not having players properly prepared or motivated or for being predictable (most teams are) but for the most part, the Lions are 0-4 because players on both sides of the ball have been in position to make plays and have failed to make those plays.