Chap ball will stick around

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Anglophone
All Star

I saw this coming, unfortunately. Wally is emotionally attached, and it is addling his reasoning.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Here's a novel idea, sign Chapdelaine to a bonus laden contract. X amount for a balanced attack, X amount for a 1,000 yard running back, X amount if we lead the league in offensive categories etc.
Mikemike
All Star

Wally is emotionally attached, and it is addling his reasoning.
Amen.
How he can be happy with what the fans saw on the field is beyond me, and while he has had brain farts with player personnel on occasion, it is generally corrected eventually.
Double Amen.

After all the emotion of this season I honestly haven't got the energy left to rant about this at the moment, and what's more: if I start typing I am going to really really freak out!

I said it before and I'll say it again: at this point the only explaination is that Chaps has some compromising photos of WB and Braley in a safe deposit box somewhere. I'm half-joking ofcourse. But only "half-joking" because the other half of me is busy crying my eyes out.
Leothelion
All Star

I predict the lions and the offense will be just fine in 2011 just like they have been just fine in the past 5 games or so. The last 5 games have not been boring as some would indicate. the problem with the bc offense early in the season is casey not executing the system. once lulay got experience he has had no problem executing the offense and being exciting. You guys need to get off your high horses and open your eyes.

leo
Rammer
Team Captain

Leothelion wrote:I predict the lions and the offense will be just fine in 2011 just like they have been just fine in the past 5 games or so. The last 5 games have not been boring as some would indicate. the problem with the bc offense early in the season is casey not executing the system. once lulay got experience he has had no problem executing the offense and being exciting. You guys need to get off your high horses and open your eyes.

leo
I see it differently. The reason the offence was acceptable in the last 5 games, was due to Lulay moving the sticks with his legs. That isn't the executing the O, it is improvising. Now, even at that, perhaps there were two games that were good, and the other three the O went silent for way too long at periods, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Leothelion wrote:I predict the lions and the offense will be just fine in 2011 just like they have been just fine in the past 5 games or so. The last 5 games have not been boring as some would indicate. the problem with the bc offense early in the season is casey not executing the system. once lulay got experience he has had no problem executing the offense and being exciting. You guys need to get off your high horses and open your eyes.

leo
And the Lions finished the 09 season on a decent run too only to crash and burn in '10.

This is bad news for their marketing department as there was just so much stuff out there about Chapdelaine and the play calling,

Too funny the one about getting a Stubler on the O side of the ball. Wally fired those guys as the Chap didn't like them - Burratto, Baresi, Kruck. All Chapper casualties while the Chap has the players in his corner (sadly not the fans who buy the tickets).
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
almo89
Legend

Sometimes I wonder if it's actually Chap's style to conservative or Wally not letting Chap be more aggressive?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Who got his ass fired in edmonton asap?
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Lionheart wrote:Who got his ass fired in edmonton asap?
Maccioca
Kepley
Bleamer
Hall

Did I forget anyone? :wink:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

All of the above were there for more than one year. Who is bleamer?

asap = jack chaps :thdn:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Maccioca
Kepley
Bleamer
Hall

Rick Worman.

The Esks have been through a couple of offensive coordinators in the past few years and Ricky Ray's productivity has plunged. Ray openly grumbled about adapting to Chapdelaine's offence but he was having his best season since returning from the NFL until he got hurt and missed the last five games of 2007, all losses. Ray's 69.9% completion percentage that season was the best of his career, his 101.6 QB rating still stands as his third best, his 2.2% INT/TD ratio was the second best and he was on pace for 32 TDs (second best) and 5,200 yards (third best) when he was hurt.
joe kapp22
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Maccioca
Kepley
Bleamer
Hall

Rick Worman.

The Esks have been through a couple of offensive coordinators in the past few years and Ricky Ray's productivity has plunged. Ray openly grumbled about adapting to Chapdelaine's offence but he was having his best season since returning from the NFL until he got hurt and missed the last five games of 2007, all losses. Ray's 69.9% completion percentage that season was the best of his career, his 101.6 QB rating still stands as his third best, his 2.2% INT/TD ratio was the second best and he was on pace for 32 TDs (second best) and 5,200 yards (third best) when he was hurt.
May sound crazy but it would not surprise me if Ricky Ray went on the trade block.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

leo
The blinders. If you keep wearing them this tightly, you're going to fracture an orbital bone or two.
Rammer
Team Captain

ed_lunsford wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote: Maccioca
Kepley
Bleamer
Hall

Rick Worman.

May sound crazy but it would not surprise me if Ricky Ray went on the trade block.
Just goes to show you that good stats don't always translate into W's. The Esks played conservative and Ray was good at that under Chap ball, just not a way to play IMO. I think that the Esks stats kind of emphasize the futility that Chap ball is, playing not to lose isn't fan friendly.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally is the most committed ever to Canadian coaches in the CFL but Chapdelaine and to some extent Mike Benevides have let Wally down. Chaps more so than any other.

I recall before the Bombers hired HC Cal Murphy (IIRC) they approached one of Bud Grant's assistants- John Michaels* DC- with the Vikings to be a candidate. He was not very complimentary in the media and listed off a host of Canadian coaches who were as qualified (I think he said Murphy's name). His point was that he had not been in the CFL for some time and there were host of qualified Canadians who were there and who they should have been asking.

"Assistant coach John Michels was on the Vikings coaching staff longer than anyone else in team history. He was an assistant for 27 seasons from 1967 to 1993." Vikings web site.

I am not putting the knock on American coaches but more kudos to Wally Buono as one who actually cares about that!

Has Chapdelaine made progress such that you can see how he reads the game and adjusts? Many say no.

I think he was a receiver who understood his position and he is not a brilliant offensive strategist. Maybe as some say he is suited to be a HC in college ball with a decent OC.

Benevides had such a wonderful learning opportunity that he seemed to squander when Dave Ritchie was the DC for BC. I say that only as I did not see him immediately follow any of the style of Ritchie on game day and he seemed which you would think he'd have copied where Ritchie would use two injured guys to decoy and send in signals and he did not run around jumping up and down. This got two guys' heads in the game who might have wandered around and not thought of the game situations and working to identify if the coach and players get it right. It showed leadership.

Chaps gets kudos from the players it seems but who has Travis Lulay worked with before? Is Jarius Jackson going to trash the OC? These guys are not dumb and not about to commit career suicide.

I fail to see how Wally can mentor this guy after these years.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy