Buono Hufnagel Post game Handshake.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bbking
Starter

I make a point of paying attention to the post game handshake after ever game.

It sure looked like Buono was shaking Hufnagels hand because he had to, not wanted to.

They hardly looked at each other.

No back slap, no words of congrats or good game exchanged.

I wonder if there is some heat between the two.

Could it be Hufnagel doesnt want to lose his O.C. to his former buddy?

Or maybe Buono has had enough of the the cocky Stampherders, and that was his way of saying stick it in yer ear!

Any thoughts?
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

May have been unenamoured with the Nik Lewis hit. I know that it is part of the game but I fail to understand why players will lay out a hit that could seriously injure someone when something less is more than sufficient. Wasn't it Mr. Lewis that ended Kelly Wiltshires career on a legal but somewhat unnecessary hit? The guy is a terrific football player but he is also a tremendous jackass as well. Some day, he is gonna get tagged big time and though I won't be laughing, I sure won't be feeling sorry for him either.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

I don't think I've ever seen Buono look another coach in the eye to shake his hand... it's always awkward
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:May have been unenamoured with the Nik Lewis hit. I know that it is part of the game but I fail to understand why players will lay out a hit that could seriously injure someone when something less is more than sufficient. Wasn't it Mr. Lewis that ended Kelly Wiltshires career on a legal but somewhat unnecessary hit? The guy is a terrific football player but he is also a tremendous jackass as well. Some day, he is gonna get tagged big time and though I won't be laughing, I sure won't be feeling sorry for him either.
Sorry, but that was a textbook block. **As much as it pains me to say this** Lewis did everything he was supposed to do. Now, was Adam Leonard in position to make the tackle on Burris? Probably not. But the fact that he was in pursuit of the quarterback at the time made him fair game. The fact that he was unaware the block was coming is irrelevant as was the impact of the hit that knocked him ass over tea kettle. Good on Leonard for coming back in the game though. That must be one tough hombre. :good:

As for the handshake, I noticed the same thing but really, I've never known Wally to do anything more than a superficial "good game" with minimal eye contact and the briefest of handshakes with any coach, win or lose.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The coaches' postgame handshake is nothing more than a formality. I didn't see anything unusual last night.

What I've always noticed and enjoyed is the camaraderie between opposing players after the game. Just minutes after the final whistle, Brandon Browner was smiling and chatting with B.C. receivers like they were lifelong friends. The CFL is a small fraternity. Players get to know and respect their opponents. Some have played together in the past. Many have just played against each other for years and have gotten familiar with them. They're not spoiled by richness or fame. They relate well to each other and the fans.
Anglophone
All Star

I get that impression, as well. Even during the game, players offer a hand to the opposing team after play stops.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:May have been unenamoured with the Nik Lewis hit. I know that it is part of the game but I fail to understand why players will lay out a hit that could seriously injure someone when something less is more than sufficient. Wasn't it Mr. Lewis that ended Kelly Wiltshires career on a legal but somewhat unnecessary hit? The guy is a terrific football player but he is also a tremendous jackass as well. Some day, he is gonna get tagged big time and though I won't be laughing, I sure won't be feeling sorry for him either.
Sorry, but that was a textbook block. **As much as it pains me to say this** Lewis did everything he was supposed to do. Now, was Adam Leonard in position to make the tackle on Burris? Probably not. But the fact that he was in pursuit of the quarterback at the time made him fair game. The fact that he was unaware the block was coming is irrelevant as was the impact of the hit that knocked him ass over tea kettle. Good on Leonard for coming back in the game though. That must be one tough hombre. :good:

As for the handshake, I noticed the same thing but really, I've never known Wally to do anything more than a superficial "good game" with minimal eye contact and the briefest of handshakes with any coach, win or lose.

DH

I totally get that it was a completely legal hit but what Lewis is "supposed" to do is keep his QB from getting hit. Now, lets suppose you are trying to flatten a cardboard box, do you stamp it with your foot, or drive a semi over it? Both will accomplish the same goal. All Lewis had to do was knock him off balance or get in his way a bit. Yes, he was able to completely bulldoze him but it was overkill just as his Wiltshire hit was overdone. Maybe I just don't like him.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Handshake? Reading way too much into nothing IMHO. Buono and Hufnagel have a ton of respect for each other. They don't need to stop for a chat after the game to prove that.

As for the Lewis block my only thought after seeing the replay was to say to myself that was a beauty. As for Leonard his role was akin to skating in over the blueline with his head down. Keep your head up kid! A defensive player in pursuit like that should always be cognizant of his surroundings and be keeping one eye on the ball carrier he's chasing and another open for potential blocks. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson last night. I don't begrudge Lewis one bit. As a receiver who often has to make himself vulnerable to try making a catch he's always subjected to hellacious hits from defensive players trying to knock him into next week. Why should he be a villain for accepting the opportunity to dish one out for a change?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Handshake? Reading way too much into nothing IMHO. Buono and Hufnagel have a ton of respect for each other. They don't need to stop for a chat after the game to prove that.

As for the Lewis block my only thought after seeing the replay was to say to myself that was a beauty. As for Leonard his role was akin to skating in over the blueline with his head down. Keep your head up kid! A defensive player in pursuit like that should always be cognizant of his surroundings and be keeping one eye on the ball carrier he's chasing and another open for potential blocks. I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson last night. I don't begrudge Lewis one bit. As a receiver who often has to make himself vulnerable to try making a catch he's always subjected to hellacious hits from defensive players trying to knock him into next week. Why should he be a villain for accepting the opportunity to dish one out for a change?
I'm with you, more or less, but the phrase you're looking for is "keep your head on a swivel."
sasklionsfan
Rookie

It was a dirty hit, and would have most likely have been a 15 yard penalty in the nfl. I'm surprised Lewis didn't hurt himself. He lead with his helmet, and the hit was helmet to helmet. Not textbook, a good block is using your hands or shoulders not trying to charge with your head down and try to knock out a player :bang:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:The coaches' postgame handshake is nothing more than a formality. I didn't see anything unusual last night.

What I've always noticed and enjoyed is the camaraderie between opposing players after the game. Just minutes after the final whistle, Brandon Browner was smiling and chatting with B.C. receivers like they were lifelong friends. The CFL is a small fraternity. Players get to know and respect their opponents. Some have played together in the past. Many have just played against each other for years and have gotten familiar with them. They're not spoiled by richness or fame. They relate well to each other and the fans.
As a coach myself I am always torn on this one. I never knew when the players lined up to shake hands after with my senior men's team if I should bother or leave it just to the players. Often I'd wait to see if their coaches were at the end of the line before making a decision.

It is awkward for both coaches - winner and loser. Winning you feel so happy but now don't want so show it this other losing coach's face. Losing if your team should have won or maybe the opposing team were goons sent out by the very coach you are going to shake hands with - the latter is one where I definitely hate shaking hands.

I would not read anything into it as it comes just as the battle ends.

The camaraderie amongst players is unique to the CFL given the size of the league. You do not see it in the NFL nor in hockey where it seems the players have to get away from the fans and on their way to the Roxy so quickly they can't be bothered to sit around on the ice.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Actually coach W and the esky coach were very friendly last week.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:Actually coach W and the esky coach were very friendly last week.
Could it be that both may not be coaching next season ? :wink:
bbking
Starter

TheLionKing wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Actually coach W and the esky coach were very friendly last week.
Could it be that both may not be coaching next season ? :wink:

Could be one would like to be coaching for the other?
“It just shows,” he said to the reporters, “that you guys don’t always see what you think you see.”
bbking
Starter

I think you nailed it Sir P.

This mornings province article by L.U. states that Buono was more upset by the Lewis hit than some of the non call late hits on our qb's in previous games.
See attached link.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/todays- ... story.html