Riders sign Grice-Mullen and flagrantly abuse the IR again

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

Yeah. That's wrong. I hope the league investigates this.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Dorsey has been diagnosed with a deep bruise to his ego after the team doctor observed him severely choking on Sunday :wink:
Luke
All Star

Belize City Lion wrote:Dorsey has been diagnosed with a deep bruise to his ego after the team doctor observed him severely choking on Sunday :wink:
:beauty: :rotf:
Luke
All Star

The reaction on Rider Fans is hilarious. The binary nature of it is amazing. Some people think its the greatest thing ever, others think its nothing at all.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:The Riders announced the signing of Ryan Grice-Mullen today. They also released P. Rodriquez and moved D. Dorsey to the 9-game injury list. The only problem is Dorsey isn't injured, unless the ball bruised his shoulder when he missed it in the sun on Sunday. Being a veteran, Dorsey's contract was likely guaranteed for the rest of the season, so the Riders are using the IR to hide his salary from being counted towards the salary cap for the rest of the season. The league should come down hard on the Riders for their flagrant disregard for the rules. If they get away with this it makes a mockery of the leagues rules and regulations.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/riders-releas ... ame-dorsey
It isn't like the rest of the league hasn't used the same 9 game IL to hide players and the league isn't about to do anything about it. More interesting is to see how RGM is an upgrade for the Riders, I think that their return blocking schemes are the weakest part of the team. If RGM succeeds it will surprise me.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

Rammer wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:The Riders announced the signing of Ryan Grice-Mullen today. They also released P. Rodriquez and moved D. Dorsey to the 9-game injury list. The only problem is Dorsey isn't injured, unless the ball bruised his shoulder when he missed it in the sun on Sunday. Being a veteran, Dorsey's contract was likely guaranteed for the rest of the season, so the Riders are using the IR to hide his salary from being counted towards the salary cap for the rest of the season. The league should come down hard on the Riders for their flagrant disregard for the rules. If they get away with this it makes a mockery of the leagues rules and regulations.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/riders-releas ... ame-dorsey
It isn't like the rest of the league hasn't used the same 9 game IL to hide players and the league isn't about to do anything about it. More interesting is to see how RGM is an upgrade for the Riders, I think that their return blocking schemes are the weakest part of the team. If RGM succeeds it will surprise me.
This.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

If they can get away with it, go for it.

For years Wally sanctimoniously refused to do it, not taking advantage of the loopholes. He finally decided this year to do it.

Level playing field.

Taxi squads in the old NFL days. Injury lists nowadays. You are naive if you try to play it straight. And no matter what system is in place teams will find ways to get around it.

Example ... Lifetime contracts to age 45 or so in the NHL.

To me it is just a legal game. Play it to win. It ia not a morality contest. Not much of that to be found in pro sports.
Migs
Starter

WestCoastJoe wrote:If they can get away with it, go for it.

For years Wally sanctimoniously refused to do it, not taking advantage of the loopholes. He finally decided this year to do it.

Level playing field.

Taxi squads in the old NFL days. Injury lists nowadays. You are naive if you try to play it straight. And no matter what system is in place teams will find ways to get around it.

To me it is just a legal game. Play it to win. It ia not a morality contest. Not much of that to be found in pro sports.
Wrong. Wally has been doing it for years (ie your kicker Whyte)
Stampeder horse walks into a bar and the bartender says..."Why the Long face?"
LFITQ
Team Captain

Migs wrote:

Level playing field.

You mean the same Sean Whyte who is listed on the ROSTER and getting paid a regular salary just not getting on the 46 man game-day roster?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Migs wrote:

Level playing field.

Whyte has i problems. Don't know what you're talking about.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Luke wrote:The reaction on Rider Fans is hilarious. The binary nature of it is amazing. Some people think its the greatest thing ever, others think its nothing at all.
Rider fan pre SMS era:

"We're a small town community team that is poor and can't afford to compete like those other awful teams (insert name of other eight CFL team, most often Edmonton, here) that cheat the cap regularly."

Rider fan in SMS era when found to be cheating:

"Everyone else does it, so why can't we?"

This isn't a surprise. And, truth be told, not unique to Regina.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Migs wrote: Wrong. Wally has been doing it for years (ie your kicker Whyte)
For a few years, I attended most of Wally's practices. He never had an over abundance of players around. The guys you saw on the practice field were all listed on the Lions' website roster in places that looked legitimate.

Now he does have more guys around. Much moreso this year. And more guys on the IR.

I have not attended any other team's practice. But I have certainly heard some of the discussion of their use of the injury list.
sasklionsfan
Rookie

Seriously migs go back to ourbombers, and complain about the refs aiding the bombers of the destruction of your sucky riders :tease:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

That is hilarious!

rgm to riders... heheh ... well at least there's a bit of a chuckle today.