OS99 on Bill Good Show this morning to talk tailgating

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Laura Ballance, spokesperson for the PNE, just announced on Pratt and Taylor (4:19PM) that they reviewed their policies this morning and WILL be allowing propane barbecues (no briquettes) on their lot. DH
are you sure it isnt the other way around. Isnt briguettes a lot safer that propane???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
leeinq
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
David wrote:Laura Ballance, spokesperson for the PNE, just announced on Pratt and Taylor (4:19PM) that they reviewed their policies this morning and WILL be allowing propane barbecues (no briquettes) on their lot. DH
are you sure it isnt the other way around. Isnt briguettes a lot safer that propane???
While propane has more potential to cause a big boom, I think there is a greater chance of some dumping their still hot coals in a garbage can, or on the ground and starting a fire.

As for the booze, during the Olympics the police seized anything they saw on the street. Having arrived back in Vancouver in Feb from Spain where people drank on the streets all over the place, I just wonder why we can not seem to keep it together and allow some flexibility? Guess we just can not handle our drink.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Wow...just heard "Kimberley's" e-mail. Thanks Rob...

What a vindictive and petty commentary. What's wrong Kim, you needed some attention? You're so full of lies. I hope you enjoyed your "coffee" yesterday.

When we got the boot from Impark we found a new lot. When that became unavailable due to construction, we worked with the city and easy park and got a solution. How that alienated ANYONE from here is beyond me. Our "small group" of 40 or so people have become a close community. I need less then 10 fingers to count your "group". You alienated yourself, not me.

You've shown your true colours today Kim. Congrats, I hope you're proud. Pathetic.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Wow...just heard "Kimberley's" e-mail.
how do you do that???
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Its in the CKNW audio vault. June 21, 2010, choose 11:00 AM and then scroll through to about the 55 min mark.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
LFITQ
Team Captain

Good job on the TG front, Brian. I for one like how this is evolving looking at it from an outsider. As the public gets involved, the powers that be can't just sweep it under the carpet.

The big issue for the lots seems to revolve around liability. This makes no sense and finally some media personalities are starting to ask the important questions. If the lot feels it is liable for any problems caused by TG'ers, then how can they say they are not liable should anything happen to your vehicle while parked there (i.e. someone breaks in to your car while you are in their lot, they aren't going to feel liable for that)? At the same point, if I trip over some broken pavement in the parking lot and hurt my knee, the same parking lot that is worried about liability is going to say they aren't liable for the poor condition of their lot and my tripping on it. So how can they still say they are liable if something happens with a propane tank or open flame at a tailgate?

IMHO the liable argument doesn't hold water, but because of the "hiding" mentality, tailgaters have generally walked away rather than asking the important questions and getting proactive on the front. There aren't many TG'ers who are lawyers and because it is only meant to be "fun" we aren't about to get too involved. We can hide our heads in the sand forever and hope they don't notice, but then when something happens like a few years ago when there was an explosion of tailgating in the lot, it gets hard to stay inconspicuous. There have been a few large tailgates that were lots of fun, but then the next year the parking lots have cracked down, mainly because of problems of the "mob". By going public with it, there is now a solution and a solution that is being created because of right questions and the PR battle being waged. PNE here is getting hit on two fronts - one the price gouge, 2 the no tailgating, and it is working in our favour.

I also find it funny that in the US where lawsuits are a dime a dozen and people sue for everything, they don't worry about liability and allow tailgating WITH Alcohol. Up here where frivolous lawsuits are a rarity and liability suits of this manner few and far between, we don't allow tailgating. The more you look at it, the more argument against tailgating just doesn't hold up.

Having been at the first tailgate - when Derek lit up a BBQ at training camp 2002 Image, it's good to see it coming to the forefront now and gaining popular support and visible support from the powers that be. Once this season goes off without a hitch, future parking lots will lose their arguments as well and it will become more acceptable.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
D
Team Captain

Interesting Thread .... here is what I have learned
OS and Kim have issues with each other
We Can Tailgate this year ..... YEAH!!!!!!
The PNE is a lot more reasonable to deal with than Easy Park or the total ASShats at Impark

LFitQ .... I drove past that park last week .... the memories brought a big smile to my face
I own The Grey Cup! .com
D
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:Wow...just heard "Kimberley's" e-mail. Thanks Rob...

What a vindictive and petty commentary. What's wrong Kim, you needed some attention? You're so full of lies. I hope you enjoyed your "coffee" yesterday.

When we got the boot from Impark we found a new lot. When that became unavailable due to construction, we worked with the city and easy park and got a solution. How that alienated ANYONE from here is beyond me. Our "small group" of 40 or so people have become a close community. I need less then 10 fingers to count your "group". You alienated yourself, not me.

You've shown your true colours today Kim. Congrats, I hope you're proud. Pathetic.
That post doesn't exactly make your colours shine either .... so please let's all just settle down and quit with the BS
I own The Grey Cup! .com
bclions16
Champion

Well I understand what D just said, but I can't just watch this without making two points:

* OS99 did not bring this subject here. Soundy posted an announcement that OS would be in CKNW talking tailgating. Simple as that. After being criticized, OS came on to defend himself (and tempers flared all around of course). I commended first when I saw Catseyes unsolicited negative post on an individual that hadn't even posted here in eight months. Sorry I fanned the flames.

* Catseyes took her beef with Brian outside of this forum by emailing CKNW. http://www.corusradio.com/Shared/AudioV ... mit=Listen (go to the 55 minute mark). Listen for yourself.

I see a guy just trying to do his thing, and he isn't going out of his way to tear anyone else down to do it.

Also, I'm just an observer. I don't know ANY of the participants in this and don't even live in Canada.
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Rick James
Legend

Tailgating in the lots near Empire FIeld will be sweet. The tging is and always will be a major part of my gameday experience. Good on Brian for portaying our group in a positive light. We are all responsible, tax paying, football loving fans that have proved over the years that we can manage to tailgate without issue.

If people want to poo on this great news they can feel free to. If anyone wants to stop by for a pop and dog, they can feel free to do that too.
leeinq
Rookie

LFITQ wrote:Good job on the TG front, Brian. I for one like how this is evolving looking at it from an outsider. As the public gets involved, the powers that be can't just sweep it under the carpet.

The big issue for the lots seems to revolve around liability. This makes no sense and finally some media personalities are starting to ask the important questions. If the lot feels it is liable for any problems caused by TG'ers, then how can they say they are not liable should anything happen to your vehicle while parked there (i.e. someone breaks in to your car while you are in their lot, they aren't going to feel liable for that)? At the same point, if I trip over some broken pavement in the parking lot and hurt my knee, the same parking lot that is worried about liability is going to say they aren't liable for the poor condition of their lot and my tripping on it. So how can they still say they are liable if something happens with a propane tank or open flame at a tailgate?

IMHO the liable argument doesn't hold water, but because of the "hiding" mentality, tailgaters have generally walked away rather than asking the important questions and getting proactive on the front. There aren't many TG'ers who are lawyers and because it is only meant to be "fun" we aren't about to get too involved. We can hide our heads in the sand forever and hope they don't notice, but then when something happens like a few years ago when there was an explosion of tailgating in the lot, it gets hard to stay inconspicuous. There have been a few large tailgates that were lots of fun, but then the next year the parking lots have cracked down, mainly because of problems of the "mob". By going public with it, there is now a solution and a solution that is being created because of right questions and the PR battle being waged. PNE here is getting hit on two fronts - one the price gouge, 2 the no tailgating, and it is working in our favour.

I also find it funny that in the US where lawsuits are a dime a dozen and people sue for everything, they don't worry about liability and allow tailgating WITH Alcohol. Up here where frivolous lawsuits are a rarity and liability suits of this manner few and far between, we don't allow tailgating. The more you look at it, the more argument against tailgating just doesn't hold up.

Liability is real. Having paid liability insurance and being involved in a lawsuit over an injury, it is all too real. To deny this is just putting your head in the sand! As fo drinking in the USA, many states allow public drinking. Here it is against the law, plain and simple. As for the parking lots saying they are not liable, samething is done by stadiums, whitewater rafting, etc. It is something that insurance companies often tell clients they must put on their tickets, etc, does not mean that you cant sue, it is done to discourage suits.
D
Team Captain

Haha ... another pic from the early tailgaters in that article
I own The Grey Cup! .com
D
Team Captain

bclions16 wrote: * Catseyes took her beef with Brian outside of this forum by emailing CKNW. http://www.corusradio.com/Shared/AudioV ... mit=Listen (go to the 55 minute mark). Listen for yourself.

I see a guy just trying to do his thing, and he isn't going out of his way to tear anyone else down to do it.
I have no problem with the way Brian is handling this, or the way Kim is. In the past I was the guy trying to make this happen so I have tried the ask for permission method and the ask for forgiveness method .... which method works? .... who knows? I think it has more to do with who your talking to and there mood on any given day.

I'm not pointing fingers, would just prefer the bickering on here not happen.

I will also say this .... in 8 years of tailgating I have never seen an incident other than a couple playoff games when we were invaded by part time fans and they left a lot of garbage behind. Garbage that could easily be cleaned up by the parking lot company that charges 10 times the regular fee on game days.

Whatever ..... it is going to be a Great Year! let's all try and get along and enjoy this one of a kind season!
I own The Grey Cup! .com
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Its in the CKNW audio vault. June 21, 2010, choose 11:00 AM and then scroll through to about the 55 min mark.
thank ya
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Laura Ballance, spokesperson for the PNE, just announced on Pratt and Taylor (4:19PM) that they reviewed their policies this morning and WILL be allowing propane barbecues (no briquettes) on their lot. No alcohol though as it's in contravention with the Liquor Control Act (regarding public consumption of alcohol).

I view this as a WIN for tailgaters. :thup:

DH
Certainly a step forward. But there is still this from the PNE:

"As per the BC Liquor Control act, public consumption of alcohol is strictly prohibited."

First of all, people love that "strictly" prohibited cliche. What's the difference between some thing that is prohibited and something that is "strictly" prohibited? Never figured that one out. Does it mean that the thing that is merely prohibited is kind of allowed? What? Besides, if the prohibited activity is already covered off as a matter of the general law, it is completely redundant to state the prohibition as part of the tailgating rules. Strictly speaking, of course.

Secondly, everyone knows that the BC Liquor Control Act is replete with provisions which are ludicrous old relics of a long bygone era of anti-alcohol prohibition fears dating back a century. BC has yet to come close to casting off its prohibitionist past and this no-see-grown-up-have-drinkee lest your fragile morals be corrupted needs to be consigned to the dustbin of ancient history. Or maybe we should return to other public policies of that era and remove the right of women to vote and allow bylaws keeping non-whites out of private clubs and neighbourhoods. Ahhhh, the gool ol' days...that the Liquor Act is still stuck in. Way past time to change the law to reflect modern behaviors and customs.

Thirdly, why doesn't the PNE do what other jurisdictions have done and designate their parking lot as a beer garden, grab a liquor licence and treat a portion of the 30 bux as a fee for that tailgater's contribution for the licence? That's what they do at the UDub's big Lot E1 where all the motorhomes park. You buy a parking pass which includes the licence and the lot is a designated area. All the cops do is make sure you don't take your drink off the lot.

And be cool enough to set up a good supply of honey buckets.