Official Vancouver Olympics 2010 - 14 Golds for Canada

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

nelson95
Legend

You can't be serious with that fence...

1 billion dollars well spent
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

While cutting a hole in the fence is ultra-hokey, there are greater security concerns. Having walked down there last weekend, you couldn't even get close to the new Convention Centre aka the International Broadcast Centre without being taken down by a cop.

Then again, there's always the potential cauldron climber who might set themselves on fire. Come to think of it, this cauldron is the first one to be remotely close to the ground..........
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I have to admit I"m disappointed. What happened to the downhill and Pairs? These are big events for me at these Olympics and we just didn't seem to have anyone near getting a medal. I"m also disappointed in myself as years ago I always watched on weekends all the races, and in skating knew all the story lines; but the last few years have not watched much at all.

I would have thought that by now we would have started to build up the Crazy Canucks and continued with at least one superstar skater as has been since the eighties. So maybe I should not have expected anything if I would have known we just didn't have the competitors now or did they just all show poorly?
Rammer
Team Captain

Well did Switzerland wake up the Canadians? Man that was a high paced game yesterday with some solid hits, fun to watch. That outcome places even more emphasize on the USA game now, with the loser playing some top talent in round one of sudden death playoff format. Just to help out the Canadians, it will be Miller and not Hiller in the goal on Sunday.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Oh goodie, the best in the game instead of what we had last night :bang:
:wink:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Well did Switzerland wake up the Canadians? Man that was a high paced game yesterday with some solid hits, fun to watch. That outcome places even more emphasize on the USA game now, with the loser playing some top talent in round one of sudden death playoff format. Just to help out the Canadians, it will be Miller and not Hiller in the goal on Sunday.
Switzerland played the game of their lives. Such intensity. Hiller was on the very top of his game.

Canada had by far the most shots and chances. As Brodeur said, a lucky bounce, et cetera. That happens in hockey.

All in all, a helluva game. As long as a team is willing to give it their all (Switz.), a team with more talent (that also works hard) is no cinch to win. Stuff can happen, and does.

No complaints here ... I did not think the Canadian team took the Swiss lightly. And I did not think the Canadian team choked. A great game.

Good for Sid the Kid. Just 22. It's easy to forget how young he is.

There are obviously Olympics haters and Olympics lovers. I am not the biggest fan of the entire extravaganza, but I do appreciate great performances by the athletes. To see the joy and achievement of people such as Clara Hughes and Maelle Rickier is inspirational in ways beyond mere athletics.

If the regularly-staged Olympic movement ended, I would not be broken hearted. It is getting rather large, and close to unmanageable. In the long run, it will survive or die on its own merits and demerits.

As a Vancouver-born resident, I have mixed feelings about the growth and fame of this city. They have brought crowds, crime, smog, traffic and high prices. I liked it better when Vancouver was more of a secret. That time is past.
kcin94
prospect

Lionheart wrote:I have to admit I"m disappointed. What happened to the downhill and Pairs? These are big events for me at these Olympics and we just didn't seem to have anyone near getting a medal. I"m also disappointed in myself as years ago I always watched on weekends all the races, and in skating knew all the story lines; but the last few years have not watched much at all.

I would have thought that by now we would have started to build up the Crazy Canucks and continued with at least one superstar skater as has been since the eighties. So maybe I should not have expected anything if I would have known we just didn't have the competitors now or did they just all show poorly?
The issue with the downhill is Osbourne-Paradise didn't live up to expectations and the other 6 contenders we had in downhill skiing went down to injury earlier this season. Three in the same weekend. Our chances of medals in alpine skiing all but dried up in early January. Disappointing because we had a bunch of world cup victories in the last 2 seasons.

We also had one great men's skater (Buttle) who strangely decided to retire after winning the world championships 2 years ago. Patrick Chan is 19 and wasn't expected to do anything this olympics. The worst thing that happened to him was skating crazy and finishing 2nd in the last world championships, putting unrealistic expectations on him for this olympics. He will be a force in 2014.

We should medal in ice dance.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

So these three infuries, were these serious medal hopes? If so that's too bad. Bummer. Especially now here at home.. man that's gotta hurt.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Nice to see Montogomery get gold in skeleton tonight, especially after Hollingsworth's tough final run, but who let the Americans in on the "Own the Podium" program? They're going to be awfully tough to catch. What a force their alpine ski team has turned out to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Nice to see Montogomery get gold in skeleton tonight, especially after Hollingsworth's tough final run, but who let the Americans in on the "Own the Podium" program? They're going to be awfully tough to catch. What a force their alpine ski team has turned out to be.
I see that, Sammy.

I'll change the title of the thread to show Montgomery.

We've had some disappointing results from some athletes, but we can only imagine what it is like to deal with the HUGE pressure.
kcin94
prospect

Lionheart wrote:So these three infuries, were these serious medal hopes? If so that's too bad. Bummer. Especially now here at home.. man that's gotta hurt.
Outside the Canadian media who (rightfully) is putting a lot of press on these athletes, these 3 would be considered hopefuls, but not really serious medal threats.

The real threats are coming up next week in speed skating/curling/hockey/freestyle skiing/ice dance. We should rack up the medals next week.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

kcin94 wrote:
Lionheart wrote:So these three infuries, were these serious medal hopes? If so that's too bad. Bummer. Especially now here at home.. man that's gotta hurt.
Outside the Canadian media who (rightfully) is putting a lot of press on these athletes, these 3 would be considered hopefuls, but not really serious medal threats.

The real threats are coming up next week in speed skating/curling/hockey/freestyle skiing/ice dance. We should rack up the medals next week.
but...no pressure....right?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope Own the Podium doesn't end when the Olympic flame is extinguished. We're beginning to see positive results of this program.
Rammer
Team Captain

Why hasn't anyone touched on Montgomery's Gold Medal? Not only was that great, but the march up to the CTV studio and auctioning off the jug of beer was oh so Canadian. I love his Canadian spirit, hope others capture that as well.

"Sold for a $1000 to the auctioneer." TV/OLY's doesn't get better spontaneous coverage than what Montgomery offered up. :beauty:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I just saw that Rammer! Cool stuff.. I missed the race (bummed) I must have been caught up in a festive place somewhere. Was it somewhat unexpected? Maybe it will show up on the pvr later today