2009-10 Vancouver Canucks Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:Naw. it would just be a nice two points. Wasn't the win in Cargeria five to one a "next step"? If not, why not?

In my mind (Alain impersonation) a creaming of San Jose would be a nice next step.

That was a tough game to be on the losing end of. A playoff game format, with the Flames on the back end of a back to back games. Plus it was in our building, Canucks had more going for them at the outset of this one. I would say a team character building type of game, rather than counting on the SSMinow line winning games for you. Edler played a heck of a game, given our defensive woe's, even looked fresh in the OT jumping up on at least three rushes. Nice to see him step up in a big game atmosphere. Luongo, great game, but terrible ending, a top 3 GT has to stop at least one of those shoot out attempts, if not two. :ref:

Oh forgot to add, the worst guy on the ice tonight was McCreary, completely missed the boarding call that should have been called on Calgary when Glass was hit and then had the gall to call Glass for boarding on Dawes who turned his back to Glass at the last second. Top that off with letting Phaneuf get away with his antics all game and I wasn't much impressed with his game tonight, but that isn't a surprise at this stage of his career.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Naw. it would just be a nice two points. Wasn't the win in Cargeria five to one a "next step"? If not, why not?

In my mind (Alain impersonation) a creaming of San Jose would be a nice next step.

That was a tough game to be on the losing end of. A playoff game format, with the Flames on the back end of a back to back games. Plus it was in our building, Canucks had more going for them at the outset of this one. I would say a team character building type of game, rather than counting on the SSMinow line winning games for you. Edler played a heck of a game, given our defensive woe's, even looked fresh in the OT jumping up on at least three rushes. Nice to see him step up in a big game atmosphere. Luongo, great game, but terrible ending, a top 3 GT has to stop at least one of those shoot out attempts, if not two. :ref:

Oh forgot to add, the worst guy on the ice tonight was McCreary, completely missed the boarding call that should have been called on Calgary when Glass was hit and then had the gall to call Glass for boarding on Dawes who turned his back to Glass at the last second. Top that off with letting Phaneuf get away with his antics all game and I wasn't much impressed with his game tonight, but that isn't a surprise at this stage of his career.
A tie was a fitting end to that game. I made comments throughout that the Canucks looked mentally tired and not quite with it. The physical aspect was there but their game really wasn't. Other than that great goal, it was the top lines worst outing in a long time. If it really was our best purrformance on a night that we really needed to win then I'd agree with you about it being a tough game. But really it's just a tie instead of a win. No big deal here for me.

I agree with you on the reffing, it sure was slanted in a huge way. Wow and I usually hate the calls that the refs make this year but those were some head scra

Ps - As for Edler, well he didn't do too bad but the extra workload was a bit much for him and it showed, he still needs to get stronger. One guy at the end was Raymond who looked very impressive, almost controlled the overtime by himself.
Last edited by Lionheart on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nelson95
Legend

entertaining game for 2 teams I don't care for

Phaneuf sure was surley, Kipper was on and when have u ever seen Luogo get 3 straight scored on him in the SO

Great fights Rypien and Prust, the linesman sure are wary about breaking it up given RRs killer late lefts

what was with the laser?
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:entertaining game for 2 teams I don't care for

P
Damn, no one here knew that.

Everyday is a new learning experience.
nelson95
Legend

See the laser incident?
Canuck fans enduring themselves well

I'll be there in 2 weeks in a Hawks jersey
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:See the laser incident?
Canuck fans enduring themselves well

I'll be there in 2 weeks in a Hawks jersey
Just watched the '72 Summit Series again last night. Yeah. Some things never change. :wink:
Real women wear orange!!
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Calgary fans should keep in mind that they wouldn't have even made OT if not for a VERY fluky goal...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Were you at the game Soundy? I did see someone who looked like you there last night.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I was not... musta been my doppelganger. Did you buy him/me a beer?
(\__/)
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

nelson95 wrote:entertaining game for 2 teams I don't care for

Phaneuf sure was surley, Kipper was on and when have u ever seen Luogo get 3 straight scored on him in the SO

Great fights Rypien and Prust, the linesman sure are wary about breaking it up given RRs killer late lefts

what was with the laser?
thanks to that duster the security is gonna be so much stricter now
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Rammer
Team Captain

Anyone watch this game vs the Preditors? Was the officiating as bad as Donny Taylor is suggesting, and is good enough to watch on the PVR?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Anyone watch this game vs the Preditors? Was the officiating as bad as Donny Taylor is suggesting, and is good enough to watch on the PVR?
Worse. Honest. Players are livid Alex and Lou going off.... the worst phantom call in the history of phantom calls was on Alex in the dying minutes of a two two tie.... After the game Alex told the interviewer the ref told him he made him look bad and will get him back later. And this is pro hockey??

I wouldn't watch it, way too frustrating.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

And lest it sound like sour grapes, some of the calls against the Preds were pretty f'n horrendous too.

Overall, not a very watchable game, even if you were a Preds fan. No flow, no style, no excitement... both teams came out with some good intensity, but the reffing utterly ruined the whole thing.
(\__/)
Rammer
Team Captain

Thanks guys, I guess the highlights will suffice, just for the record I think that is two games in a row that the Canucks didn't have a quality game by the refs.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

By Ben Kuzma, The Province

It was looking like a night to remember for Alex Burrows. It proved to be one he'll never forget — and will probably pay for following a post-game tirade against referee Stephane Auger.

Despite scoring two goals Monday in a 3-2 loss to the Nashville Predators at GM Place, the Vancouver Canucks winger was livid at Auger. He accused the official of having a personal agenda to get back at Burrows for a Dec. 8 hit in Nashville that Burrows absorbed from Jerred Smithson. On that night, Smithson was assessed a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct. Last February, Burrows was ejected from a game in Montreal by Auger for a high stick that looked like a borderline call.

"When Smithson hit me sideways, he [Auger] said: 'I saw the replay and you had your head up and weren't really hurt and you made me look bad and I'm going to get you tonight,' " argued Burrows. "It cost us two points."

On Monday, Burrows was called for diving, interference, unsportsmanlike conduct and also given a 10-minute misconduct. All the infractions came in the third period.

"It was personal," fumed Burrows. "It started in warm-up. Before the anthem, the ref came over and said I made him look bad in Nashville on the Smithson hit and he was going to get me back tonight. He got me on a diving call that I didn't think was diving and an interference call. I had no idea how he could call that. It changed the game."

Burrows was called for diving after he got tied up witih Dan Hamhuis in the corner boards. He was called for interference on a Canucks power play when it looked like he was only getting into position to screen goalie Dan Ellis. After the interference minor and with Henrik Sedin off for tripping, it was Shea Weber who ripped a slapper past Roberto Luongo on the short side at 15:57 to snap a 2-2 draw.

But Burrows was only getting started in ripping Auger and could face a fine for his continued outbursts.

"Because of a guy's ego, it just blows everything out of proportion and the refs are making bad calls and we're paying for it," added Burrows. "He comes into the game and he's going to make a call to give Nashville the advantage and I don't think that's fair for my teammates and for the fans. I think he should sit out the rest of the year making calls like that are making us look bad. Not only the calls, every TV timeout we skate around and he came over in the second period and didn't want me to step on the ice even though I didin't do anything bad."

Burrows wasn't the only one miffed at the calls. Roberto Luongo couldn't believe what he was seeing from his crease and Canucks coach Alain Vigneault said the club will look into the winger's allegations.

"I'll let you guys draw your own conclusions," said Vigneault. "There's a history there [with Auger] and we're definitely going to look into that. If it's true, it will be brought up."

Luongo sensed that this wasn't going to be an ordinary night. While he did surrender goals to Joel Ward, Ryan Jones and Weber, he didn't think his club was going to have to surrender to the officiating.

"I'm not the type of guy to make excuses, that's not who I am," he said. "But I've never seen anything like that in my whole career. The first time I've seen calls like that, especially when the game is on the line."

It all took away from a night when Burrows should have been celebrating being NHL player of the week and making it nine goals in his last five games.

When Daniel Sedin threw a backhand pass from the sideboards across the crease, Burrows instinctively parked himself behind defenceman Dan Hamhuis at the far post and easily tapped the offering past Ellis for his first goal. He then got behind Hamhuis again to deflect an Alex Edler power-play point shot past Ellis to make it 2-2. He nearly deflected a point shot to make it three hat-tricks this season, but ended up having to defend himself against Auger.
(\__/)