Tillman charged with sexual assault

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some anxious time for Tillman now as his fate with the Riders is decided.

If he is fired, his career prospects are bleak.

It seems there is a chance he may not be fired. That would be amazing. Would you say it was forgiveness? Or would it be that the Riders are "desperate" to keep a competent GM in place?

I can't help but think that much of the forgiving attitude that seems to be emanating from Regina is because of his football acumen. If he was an unsuccessful GM there would be no question; he would be gone.

I think forgiveness is important, especially for the spiritual good of the one forgiving, but when an official in a very public position misbehaves in such a radical fashion, allowing him to keep his job might be going too far.

I would guess at this time, that the odds of Tillman keeping his job are 45:55 against. He and his legal team did well prolonging the period of uncertainty. If a knee-jerk decision was made at the time of the charges, he would have been gone instantly.

I am more inclined to think that he should be gone.

If I was voting, I would have to give thumbs down on his staying with the team. IMO for an organization as central to the cultural life of a community as the Riders are, it would be the wrong message to send allowing him to keep his job. If it was not so public, and if it did not send the wrong message, then he might be able to stay.
Big Time
Champion

I'm sorry but I don't buy any of this "I was on dope" excuse. That sounds like a convenient spin and is the equivalent to the "I was drunk, I didn't know what I was doing" excuse. Tillman ought to be ashamed and if the Riders organization does anything other than fire him, than they are sending a message that this is the type of behavior that they will tolerate amongst their employees. I really can't believe the people on the Riders board are actually defending him and saying he should be kept around because he's remorseful and did a good job as their GM. Of course he's remorseful, he was facing a criminal charge! He's a 52 year old man with two kids for god's sake. What the hell was he thinking groping around a teenager? Considering how those fans more than any other other team are quick to jump on the moral high horse about everything to do with Wally, Sherko Rasouli, Jason Jimenez and the Lions organization, it is the absolute height of hypocrisy to hear them defend a man who is now convicted of sexual assault. For the good of the franchise and the role model that they aspire to be amongst their fan base, they need to fire Tillman.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

here's how I see events unfolding in the next few days...

-The Rider board releases a statement saying that after much debate, they have narrowly voted to allow Tillman to remain as GM. They go on to say that while they are disappointed by what has happened, they commend Tillman for owning up to his mistake and pleading guilty in order to spare the young victim any further trauma. They say that the board feels that the situation has been dealt with by the court.

-Tillman immediately announces that in the best interest of the Rider's organization, as well as his victim, he is resigning as GM of the team, He thanks the board for their support but feels that his continued employment with the Riders would continue to be a distraction and could cause further unnecessary anguish to his victim.

-The Rider's president accepts Tillman's resignation and thanks him for putting the best interests of the club ahead of his own career. As a sign of appreciation he releases Tillman from his contract, allowing him to immediately pursue work elsewhere.

-sometime during the winter olympics Tillman is named GM of the Argos. Nobody notices as the nation is consumed with olympic men's hockey.
Vern Halen
Champion

Belize City Lion wrote:here's how I see events unfolding in the next few days...

-The Rider board releases a statement saying that after much debate, they have narrowly voted to allow Tillman to remain as GM. They go on to say that while they are disappointed by what has happened, they commend Tillman for owning up to his mistake and pleading guilty in order to spare the young victim any further trauma. They say that the board feels that the situation has been dealt with by the court.

-Tillman immediately announces that in the best interest of the Rider's organization, as well as his victim, he is resigning as GM of the team, He thanks the board for their support but feels that his continued employment with the Riders would continue to be a distraction and could cause further unnecessary anguish to his victim.

-The Rider's president accepts Tillman's resignation and thanks him for putting the best interests of the club ahead of his own career. As a sign of appreciation he releases Tillman from his contract, allowing him to immediately pursue work elsewhere.

-sometime during the winter olympics Tillman is named GM of the Argos. Nobody notices as the nation is consumed with olympic men's hockey.
I believe you're closer to the truth than you realize...

If ET is punted or he stays, I can understand both decisions.
Last edited by Vern Halen on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Time
Champion

I just don't see any way that they can keep him. They will be reminded of this incident in every city they play in. I can already see it now. In addition to the obligatory 13th man posters, you're going to see all sorts of stories about how the Riders are coming to town, "lock up your daughters". If they keep Tillman around, it's going to be one big distraction for as long as he is there. Best thing to do is to make a clean break and move on.
nelson95
Legend

This ruling is a slap in the face to women. While jail time may not be warranted, the absolute discharge(ironic given the circumstances) is appalling. He also drove to/from work that day.

Add to it the sense that Tillman thought he would get off(yeah yeah) as did his family. WTF are his wife and kids doing going to a game in WPG!!!!

This ain't Missippi Tillman.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
ziggy
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:
And if he re offends this incident can be used against him, so its not like he is totally off the hook. Seems like its a proper punishment to me as well.
Yep, just one more sexual assault on a child, then we'll throw the book at him next time...unless he was "loopy" on drugs, of course.
Thats exactly why although he has no criminal record this incident is not purged. If he is "loopy" on drugs again he likely goes to jail.
Rammer
Team Captain

I don't expect Tillman to be caught again, the ruling sits well with me for what he and his family has endured and will have to endure from here on. Unfortunate that the babysitter has to endure as much as she has mainly due to the public image of Tillman with the Riders, which will be brought up many years down the road as announcers bring up the Tillman GC era of the Riders (one of 3 GC's for a storied franchise).
Entertainment value = an all time low
Vern Halen
Champion

OK - ask yourselves this:

Make every detail in the story the same but replace "Eric Tillman, GM of the Saskatchewan Roughriders" with "Wally Buono, GM of the BC Lions".

Be honest - would your feelings still be the same?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Vern Halen wrote:OK - ask yourselves this:

Make every detail in the story the same but replace "Eric Tillman, GM of the Saskatchewan Roughriders" with "Wally Buono, GM of the BC Lions".

Well, for me, my OPINION on the topic, as previouly stated, would be the same no matter who it was.

My FEELINGS are that I dont feel the least bit sorry for Murphy's Pissant, guilty or innocent. I would FEEL sorry for wally and somewhat sorry for any other GM\Coach, as long as my OPINION on the matter remained as it is.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Yes, of course. But keep in mind that some fans have been saying that Wally should have already moved upstairs anyway.

There might be more of a tendency for Riders fans to think they need to have Tillman around to have a successful team. With the Lions, I'm thinking not as many fans fear how the loss of our GM would affect the success of the team. Your team still rode pretty high this year with Tillman as GM. For our Lions, we have slipped rather badly the last couple of years.

Vern, I'm thinking Riders fans should separate their feelings about Tillman as a successful GM from their opinion of whether he should be fired or retained. The decision to keep him or let him go should be based on whether they feel it will damage the team or the league. If they feel he will be a distraction, if they feel his staying on sends the wrong message, if they feel his staying on will damage the image and reputation of the Riders franchise or the CFL itself, then he should go. Regardless of how fans perceive him as a skilled, able and successful GM.

You can forgive someone for their actions, but still decide he must go because of the importance of the role he plays as a GM as a leader of the community. Tillman has had success as a GM. But that should not affect the decision the Riders make about his position with the club.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Rammer wrote:I don't expect Tillman to be caught again, the ruling sits well with me for what he and his family has endured and will have to endure from here on. Unfortunate that the babysitter has to endure as much as she has mainly due to the public image of Tillman with the Riders, which will be brought up many years down the road as announcers bring up the Tillman GC era of the Riders (one of 3 GC's for a storied franchise).
Does this ruling open up avenues for a civil suit? Seems the victims could be compensated. I know his lawyers are. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
Rammer wrote:I don't expect Tillman to be caught again, the ruling sits well with me for what he and his family has endured and will have to endure from here on. Unfortunate that the babysitter has to endure as much as she has mainly due to the public image of Tillman with the Riders, which will be brought up many years down the road as announcers bring up the Tillman GC era of the Riders (one of 3 GC's for a storied franchise).
Does this ruling open up avenues for a civil suit? Seems the victims could be compensated. I know his lawyers are. BB
If they do or dont, will it be an indicator of their feelings about his guilt. Will it change anybody elses mind??
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yep pretty much. Even if I wanted to cut him some slack because of the impaired judgment issue, who is responsible for taking medications in appropriate dosages and combinations? As far as his disposition is concerned, if it were Wally Buouno, I would expect David Brailey to make the decision based on the best interests of the Club and Community, pretty much what I said for Tillman excepting that you have a different management structure in Sask.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.