More details on the move to Empire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

David wrote:If this cluster**fudge** is allowed to fester, without a confirmed location by January or a contruction schedule in place, I can see us playing on the road for the first several games of the season - meaning for the first time in years we will be playing more home games after Labour Day than before. :bang:

This City Council has no clue. From continuing the Burrard Bridge bike lane experiment without a proper consultation process to closing the Bloedel Conservatory and Stanley Park petting zoo, to tearing down venerable old Maxine's Hideaway on Bidwell street to put up ANOTHER CONDO(!), these people need to be tossed. Literally. :thdn:

DH
I tend to believe that there is a construction schedule in place, but they can't announce it until the site has been chosen. I'm not sure Pavco, Braley or Cohon, for that matter, would allow this to fester with the schedule due out sometime in Feb.

As for Vancouver City Council, considering Robertson's background, are you really surprised that the Burrard Bridge experiment was handled the way it was? I like the guy, as a businessman, not so much as a politician. Then again, I've got my own set of issues with my mayor, Derek Corrigan, mostly relating to transit.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Empire confirmed. Press conference tomorrow.
VANCOUVER — Officials with the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) and BC Pavilion Corporation will announce tomorrow that “Empire Fields,” the site of the former Empire Stadium on the PNE Grounds, will be the site of a temporary stadium for next year to host the CFL’s B.C. Lions and soccer’s Vancouver Whitecaps.

There will be a news conference tomorrow morning at the west side of the former Empire Stadium site. The temporary stadium is necessary due to the closing of BC Place Stadium from next spring to the summer of 2011 for the construction of that stadium’s new retractable roof.

The revamped BC Place will host the Lions as well as the Whitecaps’ Major League Soccer expansion franchise.

David Podmore, chairman of the BC Pavilion Corporation, Lions vice-president George Chayka, Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi and Mike McDaniel, president and CEO of the PNE, will be at the news conference.
Vancouver Sun
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

"There was the smell of the hot dogs, coming over from the PNE. The mountains to the North. Empire Stadium was a Holy Place, a very Holy Place, especially for BC Lions." - Joe Kapp.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
This City Council has no clue. From continuing the Burrard Bridge bike lane experiment without a proper consultation process to closing the Bloedel Conservatory and Stanley Park petting zoo, to tearing down venerable old Maxine's Hideaway on Bidwell street to put up ANOTHER CONDO(!), these people need to be tossed. Literally. :thdn:

DH
It's a big job for these folks keeping the bland in Blandcouver.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Here are artist's renderings of the temporary stadium. It doesn't have a "temporary" look at all.
Photo gallery
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Here are artist's renderings of the temporary stadium. It doesn't have a "temporary" look at all.
Photo gallery
Thanks for the pix, BCF.

I like it. I love the location. I was able to walk to Empire Stadium when I was a boy.

To me, it would be very dumb to build this "temporary" facility and then promptly tear it down within a year or two. Keep it once it is built. It would be excellent for high school games, junior football games, even university games, and any number of other sports events besides football.
Solar Max wrote:"There was the smell of the hot dogs, coming over from the PNE. The mountains to the North. Empire Stadium was a Holy Place, a very Holy Place, especially for BC Lions." - Joe Kapp.
The Whitecaps had their moments there too. I saw our team defeat the star-studded New York Cosmos of Pele in the old stadium. The house was rocking. An amazing time.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Here are artist's renderings of the temporary stadium. It doesn't have a "temporary" look at all.
Photo gallery
Thanks for the pix, BCF.

I like it. I love the location. I was able to walk to the Empire Stadium when I was a boy.

To me, it would be very dumb to build this "temporary" facility and then promptly tear it down within a year or two. Keep it once it is built. It would be excellent for high school games, junior football games, even university games, and any number of other sports events besides football.
I like the idea of a permanent structure but they are probably using the type of rental stands used to increase stadium sizes for Grey Cups in smaller stadiums.

So a permanent facility is not in the cards. If it was, they'd be better off not putting a roof on at BCP.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blue In BC wrote: I like the idea of a permanent structure but they are probably using the type of rental stands used to increase stadium sizes for Grey Cups in smaller stadiums.

So a permanent facility is not in the cards. If it was, they'd be better off not putting a roof on at BCP.
Once it is built and develops a bit of a history for itself, it may not be so easy to tear it down. Especially if other sporting programs begin an outcry that they wish to use it. That land has sat empty and unused for a very long time now.

My high school used to play some games at the thread-bare old Empire Stadium. What a wonderful thing this "temporary" facility would be for high school games. Could be a game there every week in season. Different schools.

Politicians blow with the wind. I would not give any credibility to whatever "long-term" plans they announce. Judge them by their actions, not their words, I would say. So we will see what transpires with the "temporary" stadium. I would like it very much if we gradually raised the profile of high school football in the Lower Mainland. This venue could help.

I would much prefer to watch the Lions play at Empire Fields, than in B.C. Place as it has been over the years. But obviously, primarily because of the size, the Lions will play in B.C. Place once it is ready again.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some more interesting info coming out:

• Capacity — 27,500

• surface: field turf from BC Place will be used at Empire.

• 2009 pricing for season ticket holders now extended to Dec. 30 for those who passed on the early bird deadline but now have more info on the stadium.

Not sure what their lease agreement is with the City of Burnaby but the Whitecaps won't be playing there until 2011, making the Lions the sole tenant for the coming year which should only help ticket sales. They shouldn't have any trouble filling it (at least until the end of September) which should mean the blackout lifted for all home games and more exposure for the club.
Rammer
Team Captain

27,500 is pushing for ST to step up, as there won't be the show up when you want to type of seating of BC Place.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

This stadium looks pretty good to me. The real challenge will be the parking and traffic nightmare around it.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Some more interesting info coming out:

• Capacity — 27,500

• surface: field turf from BC Place will be used at Empire.

• 2009 pricing for season ticket holders now extended to Dec. 30 for those who passed on the early bird deadline but now have more info on the stadium.

Not sure what their lease agreement is with the City of Burnaby but the Whitecaps won't be playing there until 2011, making the Lions the sole tenant for the coming year which should only help ticket sales. They shouldn't have any trouble filling it (at least until the end of September) which should mean the blackout lifted for all home games and more exposure for the club.
The Whitecaps were always going to play the 2010 season at Swangard stadium and then move to B.C. Place for the MLS for 2011. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Best part of the announcement is that they're going to have individual seats instead of the benches.
MacNews
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:It seems a bit ridiculous to build a covered 27,500 covered stadium with field turf and video board, then rip it down a year later? CFL teams in Wpg, Ham, Reg, Tor & Mtl would die to have a stadium as nice as "Empire Fields"
Once the stadium is 'up', you will realize why it is temporary.

It has no roof (So, not covered), and you will be sitting in cheap temporary seats. You know, those brutally hard seats that are plastic but feel more like iron.

The concessions and washrooms will be basic, but the paint will be nice and fresh.

I'm not trying to be negative, but once a building is finished construction, it never looks 1/10th as good as the 'artist's rendering'.