2010 Ticket Prices

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

sj-roc wrote:I won't speak for anyone else, but in my case that definitely is NOT true. In 2009, I paid $249.40 for a seat on the goal line (bronze). That was the regular (not earlybird) price, and it included taxes, stadium fee, what have you, etc etc. Now if I am to believe the information in this link:
http://www.bclions.com/page/tickets
then a seat in the same location will have a 2010 base price of $430 (re-classified as gold), provided I renew by Dec 15.
Really??? My silver seat on the 10-yard line has been replaced by a "gold" seat at the same place. Yes, it would cost more to buy that ticket at full price, as shown in your link. BUT my renewal notice says I get that seat for last year's Silver price, as long as I renew on time.

I would have thought you'd get the same deal - a seat on the goal line for roughly $250, same as last year, regardless of what they now call that section. Did they not offer this to bronze ST holders? If that is the case, I'd be deeply annoyed as well. However, it seems unlikely. The link does not have the renewal "deal" advertised - have you looked at your actual renewal package? Let us know.
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

LFITQ wrote:...But I said let's look at this from the outside. You weren't a season ticket holder this past season. You are thinking about becoming one for the upcoming season. The ticket prices for a new season ticket holder are increased over this year by at least $25...
LFITQ, that is a good point. I've said the renewal for existing ST holders is fair. But you are right that a new fan would have to think twice about shelling out for a ticket between the goal lines next year at Tempire (yeah, that is a great name!). I'm okay with $300 per ticket to sit on the 10-yard line, but I wouldn't be at all happy if I had to choose between moving into the end zone or paying $430-$450 per seat to stay where I am.

I can only assume the Lions expect that a substantial portion of the temporary stadium will be filled with exisiting ST holders taking advantage of the renewal deal to pay 2009 prices. The 2010 price scheme may be a hard sell for price-conscious newbies.

By the way, anyone know the actual planned capacity of Tempire? I'm guessing it's 20,000 or less?
"Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings." -George F. Will
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

Answering my own question - the Sun, October 23 - "Braley said the temporary stadium would have 32,000 seats — 25,000 along the sidelines and an additional 7,000 in the end zones — close to Empire’s original seating capacity." The seating plan and sketch don't look that big, but I've been wrong before.
ik17
Rookie

sj-roc wrote:
Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:The Lions can do nothing about having to move outdoors next year. Nor is the delay in confirming the Empire location their fault. So, it's unfair to criticize them over those issues. Nor do I expect a discount in ticket prices simply because the team had a disappointing season. (Otherwise, you'd have to pay Torontonians to attend next year!)

The real question is, are the Lions doing enough to compensate fans for the inconveniences in 2010? I think they are.

I too wondered if prices might drop given the lesser facilities, but that was probably never realistic. And prices did stay the same as long as you renew by the December 15 deadline. In essence you sit on the same hash mark for the same price. That's fair. I don't see any "shell game" going on. (Actually, there is a $25 bump which my renewal package seems to gloss over, but that's pretty minor.)

I would have liked some better token of appreciation for renewal - even a t-shirt or something, just as a gesture. But, I can imagine down at the Lions office this past month it has been a nightmare trying to sort out the new seating configurations on the fly. So I'm not really surprised they didn't come up with a fancier renewal package.

All in all I feel the team is treating fans fairly. Maybe they could suck to us a little more, and maybe they still will when they catch their breath. But some of the criticism in here frankly sounds a little whiney. Especially about the caviar not being properly chilled in the premium club, or whatever the hell Retrievil was on about.

And go buy some GoreTex, Lionheart! You live in BC, for Gawd's sake!
I won't speak for anyone else, but in my case that definitely is NOT true. In 2009, I paid $249.40 for a seat on the goal line (bronze). That was the regular (not earlybird) price, and it included taxes, stadium fee, what have you, etc etc. Now if I am to believe the information in this link:
then a seat in the same location will have a 2010 base price of $430 (re-classified as gold), provided I renew by Dec 15. That's over a 72% price increase, and I haven't even added in the extra taxes and fees yet; the GST alone will boost that figure to over 81%. I can't help but wonder if they are banking on the presence of Printers and/or the novelty of the relocation to move a lot of tickets. Can you name anything else whose price has increased by more than 81% in the last year?

I am only very mildly optimistic at this point that the "Artist Rendering of 2010 Stadium - subject to change" on the above link means the final seating/pricing configuration won't be quite as draconian as it presently appears. One would hope that they either get this ironed out well in advance of the early bird deadline which is now only 19 days away, or push the deadline back if they need more time to finalise the stadium arrangements.
No, 81% isn't right... you need to call them to get it explained to you... no business or team would ever increase their prices that much. I sit in Silver at BC Place so I'll be sitting in Gold next year but I paid SILVER prices from 09. That's how it goes.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:
sj-roc wrote:I won't speak for anyone else, but in my case that definitely is NOT true. In 2009, I paid $249.40 for a seat on the goal line (bronze). That was the regular (not earlybird) price, and it included taxes, stadium fee, what have you, etc etc. Now if I am to believe the information in this link:
then a seat in the same location will have a 2010 base price of $430 (re-classified as gold), provided I renew by Dec 15.
Really??? My silver seat on the 10-yard line has been replaced by a "gold" seat at the same place. Yes, it would cost more to buy that ticket at full price, as shown in your link. BUT my renewal notice says I get that seat for last year's Silver price, as long as I renew on time.

I would have thought you'd get the same deal - a seat on the goal line for roughly $250, same as last year, regardless of what they now call that section. Did they not offer this to bronze ST holders? If that is the case, I'd be deeply annoyed as well. However, it seems unlikely. The link does not have the renewal "deal" advertised - have you looked at your actual renewal package? Let us know.
I haven't gotten anything in the mail from them yet, so I've been trying my best not to jump to conclusions but that website info isn't helping.

What they are calling gold for 2010 (and selling for $430+tax+fees) appears to extend into the endzones:

Compare that with this chart showing the 2009 seating categories; I was just shy of the silver border, barely into bronze, basically right on the goal line, for which I paid a grand total of $249.40:

Basically, the new premium category (between the 20s) takes in what used to be the old premium, old platinum and old gold sections combined. The new gold is the old silver (plus a sliver of the old bronze — where I sat last year), the new silver is the sides and corners of the endzone and the new bronze is the back of the endzone. What used to be bronze is now repartitioned into three different pricing categories.

Of course, all of this has a "subject to change" disclaimer, as I mentioned in my last post, but right now I'm not that impressed.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Whisperin' Jimmy
Starter

sj-roc wrote:I haven't gotten anything in the mail from them yet, so I've been trying my best not to jump to conclusions but that website info isn't helping.
Yeah, there's the problem. The Lions are offering season ticket renewals a much better deal than you see on that website. They should be offering you a seat near the goal line - probably in the new "silver" section - for roughly the price you paid for bronze last year.

I got the offer by e-mail before the Lions played Hamilton. However, the actual renewal notice only came in the mail yesterday. I'd call the Lions office, or at least keep an eye on your mail this week. December 15 is the deadline for renewal at '09 prices.

Hope they keep you happy! :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:I got the offer by e-mail before the Lions played Hamilton. However, the actual renewal notice only came in the mail yesterday. I'd call the Lions office, or at least keep an eye on your mail this week. December 15 is the deadline for renewal at '09 prices.
Huh, I haven't seen anything in snail mail or email about 2010 ticket pricing and I get Lions emails all the time (game day notes, etc). I just logged into my online account and I see they've invoiced me for what they are calling a bronze ticket, at last year's bronze prices, but of course I have no idea where that seat will be. They have assigned row and seat numbers to my ticket but they're either just placeholders, or meaningless to me at this stage since it's a new venue.

If it all unfolds as you say then I can't complain, but for anyone just coming on board for 2010, they may be in for some sticker shock. "Buy early and be rewarded" seems to be the unspoken policy for ticket sales.

The season ticket holders' web page is promising an "exclusive season ticket holder gift". Any idea what that might be? I've already forgotten if we got anything for 2009, whatever it might have been (aside from the orange card, calendar and window stickers). I recall getting a hat in 2007 and team photos in 2006 and 2004 — framed and autographed by WB in the latter case, and they actually gave me two copies of that one, the second of which still has the plastic wrapping on it *chuckle*.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

ik17 wrote:When did they ever promise no price increase, I never saw that... it's the same as every other year where you're rolled back a year in prices... Last year I paid 08 prices for 09, this year I paid 09 prices for 2010.
I first heard it in an interview on the team. It was clearly stated that they will not increase prices.

You did not pay 09 prices for '10, you paid '11 prices for '10
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Whisperin' Jimmy wrote:The Lions can do nothing about having to move outdoors next year. Nor is the delay in confirming the Empire location their fault. So, it's unfair to criticize them over those issues.
The critism is not that we've not been told yet I agree with you there. The critism is requiring to anti up before they've given us any info. If the local and it's details get released end of December, then renewal date should be January 15 or so..
ik17
Rookie

Lionheart wrote:
ik17 wrote:When did they ever promise no price increase, I never saw that... it's the same as every other year where you're rolled back a year in prices... Last year I paid 08 prices for 09, this year I paid 09 prices for 2010.
I first heard it in an interview on the team. It was clearly stated that they will not increase prices.

You did not pay 09 prices for '10, you paid '11 prices for '10
It's a regualar price increase just like every other season... get over it... if your going to support the club.. then SUPPORT the club, simple as that. I heard that radio interview too an they clearly said "2010 tickets at 2009 prices." If you want to prove me wrong, go to the team 1040 archives... if you haven't posted the clip in response then I'll know you realized you were wrong.
Spud387
Champion

sj-roc wrote: The season ticket holders' web page is promising an "exclusive season ticket holder gift". Any idea what that might be? I've already forgotten if we got anything for 2009, whatever it might have been (aside from the orange card, calendar and window stickers). I recall getting a hat in 2007 and team photos in 2006 and 2004 — framed and autographed by WB in the latter case, and they actually gave me two copies of that one, the second of which still has the plastic wrapping on it *chuckle*.
I talked with the season ticket holder account manager and they say we will get a custom season ticket holder scarf next year
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I guess I should be thankful that my ticket prices haven't increased. In fact, when I got my renewal letter from George Chayka today, I was impressed that he not only offered me the chance to secure my bronze seats for 2010 at 2009 bronze pricing, but he offered to upgrade me to silver seats at bronze prizing:
We will locate your 2010 season tickets in the temporary stadium as close as possible to the same area as they were in 2009 at BC Place. If your seats are located in the Bronze area of the outdoor stadium and you wish to be moved to the new Silver at 2009 Bronze pricing, please contact us at 604.589.ROAR (7627).
That sounds more than fair, and shows a willingness on the part of the Lions to negotiate with anyone who is unhappy with his/her seating allocation. I'll pass on the free upgrade. Someone else can have it.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I guess I should be thankful that my ticket prices haven't increased. In fact, when I got my renewal letter from George Chayka today, I was impressed that he not only offered me the chance to secure my bronze seats for 2010 at 2009 bronze pricing, but he offered to upgrade me to silver seats at bronze prizing:
We will locate your 2010 season tickets in the temporary stadium as close as possible to the same area as they were in 2009 at BC Place. If your seats are located in the Bronze area of the outdoor stadium and you wish to be moved to the new Silver at 2009 Bronze pricing, please contact us at 604.589.ROAR (7627).
That sounds more than fair, and shows a willingness on the part of the Lions to negotiate with anyone who is unhappy with his/her seating allocation. I'll pass on the free upgrade. Someone else can have it.

Ok, so there's the proof. Tickets have been increased ( I like sj-roc have not received anything yet), so the only way I can get my seat (my SEAT, not my colour) at last years prices I have to ask. hmm.. that is weird.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

In an email sent to season ticket holders about a month ago, they offering "Gold" section seating at "Silver" pricing. Looking at it from a strictly money point of view, it's a saving of like $130. From a seating point of view, the seat may be the same or slightly more towards the endzone.

However, if you're jumping in now, I'd go bronze, suck it up for a year and look for relocation heading into 2011.
ik17
Rookie

Lionheart wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I guess I should be thankful that my ticket prices haven't increased. In fact, when I got my renewal letter from George Chayka today, I was impressed that he not only offered me the chance to secure my bronze seats for 2010 at 2009 bronze pricing, but he offered to upgrade me to silver seats at bronze prizing:

Ok, so there's the proof. Tickets have been increased ( I like sj-roc have not received anything yet), so the only way I can get my seat (my SEAT, not my colour) at last years prices I have to ask. hmm.. that is weird.
The only reason I'm responding to you is because you're complaining and you don't even know the facts. WAIT FOR YOUR RENEWAL LETTER BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IT! Everyone else is clearly ok with what they are doing, you haven't seen your letter and your ASSUMING that they're going to screw you over, that or your jsut refusing to read the details and again ASSUMING your going to get screwed.

You don't have to ASK for them to adjust the price... it's stated that's what you'll pay on your renewal letter if you renew before the 15th. They probably only ask teh bronze people if they want to move into silver because some people actually LIKE being in the endzone and don't want to automatically get put in the silver

Wait until you get your letter before you go complaining about it based on your assumption. Everyone else in the thread got theirs and nobody else is complaining about it but you.