As for Printers today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Tank
prospect

The Lions had 12 yards rushing.

And they had 3 starters on their O-line who were under 26 years old, who all got owned. Add some key dropped passes by Arcineaux and Grice-Mullen, and you're lucky Lulay even agreed to go in.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:I will ask you though, what three positions would you switch on our D?
It starts and ends with your defensive front seven. If you don't have players there, you can't win. We need another defensive end, a big run stopper inside, and an OLB who can make plays in the open field. I don't think our secondary is that bad - it's just that our front seven, #95 excluded, is so woeful. The shocking demise of Brent Johnson as an impact player, for instance, hurt this club terribly, as did the departure of wake, and the loss of Tyrone Williams. Cutting Otis Floyd was a huge mistake - dude could still play. You just can't cut veterans like Floyd and Williams if you don't have guys to replace them who are better, and we simply did not.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Lionut wrote:We need another defensive end, a big run stopper inside, and an OLB who can make plays in the open field.
Cause those type of players grow on trees, right? Two words, player development.
Blitz
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
Lionut wrote:Buck Pierce is a gamer, and as such I understand the affection and loyalty he generates from fans. The fact is, though, that dude can't stay healthy. Period. He has taken too many licks. He isn't quite fast enough to be a scrambling QB, and he isn't quite big enough to be a pocket presence. Based just on his concussion history, I think he should take a long, hard look at retirement. Sometimes you are done with football, and sometimes football is done with you. I suggest that football might be done with Buck Pierce, and for his long term health that is a good thing.

Printers, OTOH, is a starting QB. Dude is an athlete, and he can make plays with both his feet and his arm. Thank God he came back - had Printers been our guy all year, we might have hosted a home playoff game. We still wouldn't be going to the Grey Cup - not with a defense that weak - but we might have been 10-8, 11-7 instead of 8-10. Printers give me hope for 2010, as we can tick the most important position on the field off our list. Wally knows what he needs to do - cut JJ and Pierce, and get Printers under contract ASAP.
:whs: except for the get rid of JJ, that won't happen, he is the safety net in case Printers gets hurt.

I will ask you though, what three positions would you switch on our D?
I strongly believe it will be Printers, Jarious, and Lulay in that order for next year. With regard to Buck, we won't be able to release him while he's injured. That could mean we might have to wait until training camp next season. Hard to know if he will get paid for next year starting in January or not.

As for other CFL teams snapping Buck up, if he were released, I doubt there would be a lot of teams clamoring for him. A CFL team might look to him as a backup but they would be looking at him for under $100,000 if they were interested.

Rammer, you asked what three positions Lionut would change. He hasn't answered yet but I thought I'd take the time to respond. I believe we need more than three changes but my priority would be defensive end, linebacker, and safety. I would consider moving Brent Johnson to tackle in Hunt's spot to use a Canadian there and play an import in Johnson's position. Armour would be gone and I'd consider dropping McKenzie too..we're paying big bucks for McKenzie...love to trade McKenzie for Jamal Johnson but Hamilton would never do it.

I'd also find a new safety (Barrin is 37) and also a new halfback to replace Toney. Dennis proved that he can't get the job done as well. I don't know if I'd reinsert Banks back to halfback and find a new nickel or whether I'd keep Banks at nickel and go with a new defensive halfback.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: Rammer, you asked what three positions Lionut would change. He hasn't answered yet but I thought I'd take the time to respond. I believe we need more than three changes but my priority would be defensive end, linebacker, and safety. I would consider moving Brent Johnson to tackle in Hunt's spot to use a Canadian there and play an import in Johnson's position. Armour would be gone and I'd consider dropping McKenzie too..we're paying big bucks for McKenzie...love to trade McKenzie for Jamal Johnson but Hamilton would never do it.

I'd also find a new safety (Barrin is 37) and also a new halfback to replace Toney. Dennis proved that he can't get the job done as well. I don't know if I'd reinsert Banks back to halfback and find a new nickel or whether I'd keep Banks at nickel and go with a new defensive halfback.
Import defensive end ... agreed. Easier to find than a non-import one, although we failed to find one last TC.

Brent Johnson ... backup D Line. I have some doubts if he has the bulk or strength to play DT nowadays.

McKenzie ... big disappointment. Plus I think he was a fallback plan when the bidding for Lloyd went parabolic.

Armour ... big disappointment. Desperation move bringing him in. Mishandling of the Javy situation. Ugly all around. The linebacking personnel and schemes were unsettled from TC all the way to the loss vs the Alouettes.

Miles ... gotta go, all the way into the CFL Hall of Fame. But not for tackling. For being an outstanding center fielder and a ball hawk.

Toney and Dennis ... mostly victims of the scheme and the culture (fear of the long ball. Playing in absolute wide-eyed fear). IMO. Talent is satisfactory. But probably damaged goods now. IMO

Marsh and Glover ... on the bubble. But the replacements have to be top notch or they stay.

Hunt ... needs a kick in the butt. Get in shape. Quit the jivin'.

Williams ... far from the second coming of Big T. Is he totally sold on being here?

Philips ... needs a wakeup call too. No help whatsoever against the run. Many blown coverages this year, or miscommunication ... same thing. Helping out someone else (Crawford, etc.) and leaving your own check is no excuse.

Benevides ... Fail. If Wally took off the shackles, who knows?

Foley ... You better get him signed, Wally. The hardest worker by far on the defence.

Banks ... a very solid and skilled pro.
Tank
prospect

Let's face it guys....its sports.

There will always be people who always blame the quarterback, always blame the starting pitcher, always blame the goaltender, and aways want to fire the coach.

You can win with a half decent quarterback (Kent Austin) but you cannot win with a crappy offensive line. Most important position in the game.
Tank
prospect

In my opinion:

Buck Pierce: gone
Ian Smart: gone
Heerspink: gone
Paul McCallum: gone
Javy Glatt: gone
Jarius Jackson: Staying put
Casey Printers: Staying put
Travis Lulay: Staying put
Aaron Hunt: Maybe gone if they think Gibbs can step up or if they sign someone.
McKenzie: gone
Lyle Green: gone
Bobby Singh: gone
Ricky Foley: stays
O'neil Wilson: maybe gone
Geroy/Paris/Arcineaux: Stays
Grice-Mullen: maybe gone if they can find a Kick returner

Secondary: I'm really not too sure about it...looked awful against Montreal. Lavar Glover and Jerome Dennis could be gone.
They also need a runstopper on that D-Line.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Tank wrote:You can win with a half decent quarterback (Kent Austin) but you cannot win with a crappy offensive line. Most important position in the game.
Exactly. The OL is wholly dependent on continuity, something the Lions did not yet have at the start of 2009. Two new starters coming out of TC (RG/LT). One week into the season the starting LT replaced by a dude of the street. Who, FWIW, did a very serviceable job considering the circumstances.

Give the OL the off-season and TC, I guarantee Coach D will have them coached up.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Tank wrote:In my opinion:

Secondary: Lavar Glover and Jerome Dennis could be gone.
Yeah cause finding capable guys to replace the aforementioned is easy right? Ask the 2009 Lionbackers forum how mass renovations of the roster ended up?
prairielion
Starter

Tank wrote:In my opinion:

Jarius Jackson: Staying put
Casey Printers: Staying put
Travis Lulay: Staying put
Ricky Foley: stays
Geroy/Paris/Arcineaux: Stays

Secondary: I'm really not too sure about it...looked awful against Montreal. Lavar Glover and Jerome Dennis could be gone.
Have to say that this list may be a little too extensive. That is unless we have a whole lot of players who are ready to step in and do the job. Otherwise I think we would be in for another year like this one only alot worse.
Still in Riderville, hating the Riders!