As for Printers today

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

Our Leos are pros and can do more out there, if we give them the opportunities to do so.[/quote]

Some of them are Pros blitz, others I wonder?
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
hwgill
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:
hwgill wrote:Another one who thinks Wally is purrfect, doesn't make mistakes?

I think WB has shown a propensity of choking in the playoffs, winning only two with the Stamps, and one here in BC.

WB can be moved up, but I think we need a new HC, as well as new OC and DC, and a complete replacement of our secondary
One team wins the Grey Cup every year, seven teams go home disappointed. Three titles is still three titles. Would you call Bill Belichek a choker because he's only won three Super Bowls?

As far as a completely new staff, are you serious? Give me some names of AVAILABLE candidates who are better than what we have. And you really want to spend a year acclimating the players to completely new systems? Which IS what is going to happen with new co-ordinators.
Yes, I am serious. At least we'll know we're in a re-building year, and the expectations will be low, but unless there are drastic changes, this team that we are paying for with our after-tax dollars is going to be mediocre at best.

I have no idea who this belicheck is, and don't give a damn either. If he ain't CFL, I don't care. People talk about WB being the greatest coach of all time...well, the greatest coach of all time can only win 3 cups over 20 years? How many times did the Eskimos win it? 78-82 under Hugh Campbell. That to me is a great coach, a coach who can guide his team to the championship, and once they can't do it anymore, they are replaced...WB has reached his time of replacement. He'll make a great GM for the Leos, but HC? Not any more...and I've felt this way for a loooong time.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
Hawkballer 14
Champion

hwgill wrote:Yes, I am serious. At least we'll know we're in a re-building year, and the expectations will be low, but unless there are drastic changes, this team that we are paying for with our after-tax dollars is going to be mediocre at best.
How many vets were let go by WB this off-season? Isn't that not an attempt to re-build on the fly?
hwgill wrote:People talk about WB being the greatest coach of all time...well, the greatest coach of all time can only win 3 cups over 20 years? How many times did the Eskimos win it? 78-82 under Hugh Campbell. That to me is a great coach, a coach who can guide his team to the championship, and once they can't do it anymore, they are replaced.
Three championships is three championships. And how many have matched Hugh Campbell's run of titles? Zero.
hwgill wrote:WB has reached his time of replacement. He'll make a great GM for the Leos, but HC? Not any more...and I've felt this way for a loooong time.
Who, among the available candidates, would you suggest to replace WB?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Hawkballer 14 wrote: Who, among the available candidates, would you suggest to replace WB?
Come home Rocky Long.
Spud387
Champion

Gerry wrote:
Blitz wrote:
Gerry wrote:KIA makes a good point.

Printers did not play well. He takes some of the blame, as well as the rest of the team, of course.

If it's fair that he gets credit, he should also take some of the blame, and he did not look good today.

The interception in the 1st quarter came at a bad time. It was a broken play, but that is supposed to be CP's forte. Simon got open and if CP had lofted it it was a TD. Instead he assumed that Simon would come back (into a worse position to make a catch) and tried to force the ball.

His play in the pocket was also not that good. He did not step up in the pocket and on several occasions ran right into the contain man for Montreal. CP lost focus, and KIA is correct that he looked flustered out there, even early in the game when we might have slowly come back.

If Jackson was really able to play, it might have made sense to pull CP in the 2nd quarter for a series or 2 and settle him down, but I guess JJ wasn't really well enough to play today.
I expected, that there would be criticism of Printers at any opportunity, from some fans who will never like him. However, to blame Printers for the interception is hilarious. There are scramble rules for a rollout. Simon was coming back to the football and Printers was out of room on the sideline.Printers threw the football before Simon made his turn. Ask any football coach whose responsibility the play was and he'll tell you it's was Simon's. If Simon was going to turn he needed to do it earlier than he did.

Printers didn't look flustered at all and was trying to rally and encourage his ofence in the first half. He got a frustrated in the second half a litlte, towards the end, and who wouldn't have, with the dropped footballs, the interference, the relentless pressure, the hits that he took, the number of times he threw the football with a guy hanging all over him, the poor offensive line play, etc. Printers bought time to make the throws that he did. Buck would have been sacked 10 times in that game and would have been throwing four yard passes with us behind three touchdowns. We had 13 first downs to Montreal's 12 in the first half and close to 200 passing yards. Of course, Montreal didn't need many first downs to score.

I can understand why you might want to give Pauser a hard time because he's tough on Jarious but Casey gave us our best hope to win. Montreal was very worried about him. Printers made some great throws under pressure. Printers supporting cast was not good enough, not Printers. Lulay demonstrated that being a quarterback out there against Montreal today was hell.
I expected, as soon as there was some mild criticism of Printers (such as that in a team game, wherein the team loses as badly as they did today, that Printers might expect to be criticized) that of course there would be those whose faith in the magical Casey would not stand for it.

I'm not a guest football coach, Blitz, and I did not play "my" football anywhere. I played rugby. But I've been a Lions fan since the 60s and have seen, and paid to see, a lot of CFL ball since that time. A lot of you guys get pretty much free reign to dump all over our coaches and most of our players on a regular and constant basis, especially now that we are not the dominant team we have been in the past, but this obsession that you all have with Printers is beyond me. I'm not getting into a fight with you guys about it because between you, West Coast Joe, and Pauser there's not enough bandwidth in the world if I reply to everyone of your posts, and quite frankly, I have other things to do.

If you're supposed to be a big football expert and you think that a healthy Pierce is not as good a quarterback as Printers, then I'm glad you're not really coaching a team I'm buying tickets to see instead of yapping on the internet like the rest of us.

I've lurked here quite a bit lately because I've only had time to scan the site on my mobile, but the past few days I've had a chance to post a little and get some stuff off my chest. You may think that I don't like Printers. Not true. I only respond to the Printer fanatics who have been dumping on everyone else all year, and I'm merely holding him to something of the same standard as every other player.
Bingo :beauty:
Blitz
Team Captain

Know It All wrote

"If you're supposed to be a big football expert and you think that a healthy Pierce is not as good a quarterback as Printers, then I'm glad you're not really coaching a team I'm buying tickets to see instead of yapping on the internet like the rest of us."

A healthy Buck Pierce is not as good as Printers.....he can't make all the throws Printers can, is not as mobile, can't buy the time Printers can or escape like Printers, doesn't throw the long ball like Printers, doesn't throw on the run as well as Printers, etc. Buck is a good guy, has courage, throws for a high completion average, but is not nor will he ever be, as talented a quarterback as Printers. That's no offence to Buck.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Gerry
Legend

Blitz wrote:Know It All wrote

"If you're supposed to be a big football expert and you think that a healthy Pierce is not as good a quarterback as Printers, then I'm glad you're not really coaching a team I'm buying tickets to see instead of yapping on the internet like the rest of us."

A healthy Buck Pierce is not as good as Printers.....he can't make all the throws Printers can, is not as mobile, can't buy the time Printers can or escape like Printers, doesn't throw the long ball like Printers, doesn't throw on the run as well as Printers, etc. Buck is a good guy, has courage, throws for a high completion average, but is not nor will he ever be, as talented a quarterback as Printers. That's no offence to Buck.
Actually, I wrote that, Blitz. Not that it matters that much.

So, by the standards you set in your response above concerning mobility, arm strength, ability to by time, or throw on the run and thus declaring Printers to be superior to Pierce as a QB, I guess you'd also take Bishop over Calvillo.

To me, those are all "gravy" traits that rank behind others such as: Character, poise, ability to read a defense, knowing when to step up, when to run, when to scramble, when to throw the ball away, when to shut up. Pierce has it over Printers in all of those, IMO.

It's true that Printers can learn all of those, and that Pierce can never attain the physical traits that Printers has, but the question in my mind is, will he?
Enough is enough.
Tighthead
Legend

This is the Buck Pierce who threw more picks than TDs this year we are talking about?

edit - thanks for straightening me out.
Last edited by Tighthead on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hwgill
Legend

Don't you mean more picks than TD's?
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

To put things in a little more perspective, Casey through for more yards yesterday than Darian Durant. They just couldn't get the field position and BC's defence was still at the airport.

I am the biggest Buck fan out there, but I really do think, that due to the amount of injuries sustained, that Casey offers us more hope.
The_Pauser
Legend

#1 Lions Fan in SK wrote:To put things in a little more perspective, Casey through for more yards yesterday than Darian Durant. They just couldn't get the field position and BC's defence was still at the airport.

I am the biggest Buck fan out there, but I really do think, that due to the amount of injuries sustained, that Casey offers us more hope.
You're giving our defence too much credit. They had already packed it in and gone home after the Hamilton game. I didn't see any defense even in the city of Montreal.
Roar you Lions roar!
Spud387
Champion

#1 Lions Fan in SK wrote:To put things in a little more perspective, Casey through for more yards yesterday than Darian Durant. They just couldn't get the field position and BC's defence was still at the airport.

I agree Buck shouldn't start anymore as injuries have caused too much inconsistency (much caused by our horrific O-Line). I think Casey should be our starter (if eh continues to earn it next training camp like any other QB), but when healthy, I like what Buck brings to the table better. The problem is the "when healthy" line, which is why I don't think he should start for us. I think he would be one hell of a backup or scary on a team with a good O-Line.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

Buck Pierce is a gamer, and as such I understand the affection and loyalty he generates from fans. The fact is, though, that dude can't stay healthy. Period. He has taken too many licks. He isn't quite fast enough to be a scrambling QB, and he isn't quite big enough to be a pocket presence. Based just on his concussion history, I think he should take a long, hard look at retirement. Sometimes you are done with football, and sometimes football is done with you. I suggest that football might be done with Buck Pierce, and for his long term health that is a good thing.

Printers, OTOH, is a starting QB. Dude is an athlete, and he can make plays with both his feet and his arm. Thank God he came back - had Printers been our guy all year, we might have hosted a home playoff game. We still wouldn't be going to the Grey Cup - not with a defense that weak - but we might have been 10-8, 11-7 instead of 8-10. Printers give me hope for 2010, as we can tick the most important position on the field off our list. Wally knows what he needs to do - cut JJ and Pierce, and get Printers under contract ASAP.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Rammer
Team Captain

Lionut wrote:Buck Pierce is a gamer, and as such I understand the affection and loyalty he generates from fans. The fact is, though, that dude can't stay healthy. Period. He has taken too many licks. He isn't quite fast enough to be a scrambling QB, and he isn't quite big enough to be a pocket presence. Based just on his concussion history, I think he should take a long, hard look at retirement. Sometimes you are done with football, and sometimes football is done with you. I suggest that football might be done with Buck Pierce, and for his long term health that is a good thing.

Printers, OTOH, is a starting QB. Dude is an athlete, and he can make plays with both his feet and his arm. Thank God he came back - had Printers been our guy all year, we might have hosted a home playoff game. We still wouldn't be going to the Grey Cup - not with a defense that weak - but we might have been 10-8, 11-7 instead of 8-10. Printers give me hope for 2010, as we can tick the most important position on the field off our list. Wally knows what he needs to do - cut JJ and Pierce, and get Printers under contract ASAP.
:whs: except for the get rid of JJ, that won't happen, he is the safety net in case Printers gets hurt.

I will ask you though, what three positions would you switch on our D?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Spud387
Champion

Lionut wrote:Buck Pierce is a gamer, and as such I understand the affection and loyalty he generates from fans. The fact is, though, that dude can't stay healthy. Period. He has taken too many licks. He isn't quite fast enough to be a scrambling QB, and he isn't quite big enough to be a pocket presence. Based just on his concussion history, I think he should take a long, hard look at retirement. Sometimes you are done with football, and sometimes football is done with you. I suggest that football might be done with Buck Pierce, and for his long term health that is a good thing.

Really? and rely on who to be our backups?
We went through 5 QBs this season. 4 of them got injured, INCLUDING Printers. I suspect that we will carry 4 QBs next year. Printers & Lulay will be locks, but I see JJ, BP and ZC all fighting for the last 2.

JJ has a definite advantage to staying if Buck doesn't accept a big pay cut (unless that 300K contract was performance based and base salary is much less). I think BP is the better QB, but JJ is much more of a mentor. (Look at the East final, he was reassuring Dennis after that TD catch.)

CP - Lock for starter unless he bombs next training camp
TL - Young and very talented, will be backup or 3rd stringer depending on who else stays.
JJ - Will be 3rd stringer unless he outperforms TL at training camp. If BP stays, traded.
BP - Likely traded/released. If so, would be picked up by another team in a snap. If he stays, would be our backup (but not at 300K a year). If JJ stays, traded.
ZC - Our 4th stringer unless we find someone else who can outperform him in training camp.