TEAM 1410: Lions new permanent radio home

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

The hockey/Canuck haters speak of attracting casual fans to the Lions and how putting games on 1410 would compromise this goal. But it's important to remember a significant portion of such casuals are going to be hockey/Canuck fans since they're the most popular sports franchise in this market. For that reason, dumping on here about hockey and how much more media attention it gets is arguably counterproductive. I wouldn't be surprised if casual fans have already happened onto this site and left without bothering to register, having been turned off by some of the alienating negativity here toward that other league they like to patronise. Not much in the way of brand-growing initiative there — how's that for irony? There's a reason why anti-Canuck venom has never been a part of Lions marketing (that I'm aware of, anyway).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

if Team 1410 is so great how come you can't buy Team 1410 stuff? Huh? Huh?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lions4ever wrote:if Team 1410 is so great how come you can't buy Team 1410 stuff? Huh? Huh?
Give them time. The station has only been on the air a week. :wink:
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:if Team 1410 is so great how come you can't buy Team 1410 stuff? Huh? Huh?
:sleep:
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Some are definitely making a mountain out of a molehole.

In the past, there has been ample advertising on 1040 whenever a Lions game gets shifted to 1410. The Lions are now the feature programming selection on 1410, which is a good thing. Perhaps the return of the Rick Ball lunchtime show on 1410? Maybe The Moj gets his own show on 1410? Or Farhan? A show dedicated to HS/SFU/UBC football? All good things, IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, if 1040 = Canucks hockey and 1410 = Lions football, that's a good thing. Make your voices heard by the ratings and listen to 1410, help build it into a viable compliment to 1040. :2cents:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Soundy wrote:
Solar Max wrote:Soundy, how can the Lions can GROW the brand with 1.0 share ?

I concede that even you or I can find CFUN on the dial, (even if I can't receive it here) but you continually ignore what others are pointing out here: we want the sport to get MORE exposure, not less. How does reaching less audience grow the brand?
What "audience" are they reaching on 1040 that's going to "grow the brand"? People listening to 1040 ALREADY KNOW about the Lions, so how is that going to "grow the brand"? You're preaching to the choir there, how is that any better?
You are protecting your Nuckies; we get that. Why can't you see that we like our Lions as much as you do your Nuckies?
Umm... YOU'RE the one that keeps bringing up the Canucks. My issue has nothing to do with them and entirely to do with the persecution complex continually displayed here when it comes to the Lions' treatment in the media. It's illogical and irrational, and the constant whining about being disrespected and "treated as second-class citizens" *IS EXACTLY WHAT MAKES THE CFL LOOK SECOND-CLASS*. You talk about "perception" but it's this kind of mentality that GIVES the perception you're so worried about, that makes ALL Lions fans look bad... and AS A LIONS FAN, I have a problem with that!

So once again, you refuse to address my questions of how this helps grow the brand, and accuse me of whatever.

You are obvioulsy here just to cause grief, since you will not debate in anay manner.

Now...how does this move to the outhouse HELP the Lions grow their fanbase WITH CASUAL FANS?

Would Bob Ackles have approved this move?

You won't answer of course, you never do. It's why you're seen as such a detraction to this site. Pathetic.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:
My oh my. Folks really are on edge on this board these days. Try and lighten the mood with a little joke and you get the dismissive "snooze" emoticon. What next? The dreaded eye roll? Ouch.

Line was based on Charlie Brown's Christmas when Lucy taunts Schroeder (the classical piano playing character who has to constantly fend off Lucy's amorous advances) with something along the lines of: If Beethoven was so great how come he didn't get his picture on bubblegum cards?

Sorry for obscure joke reference.

IRONY ALERT: At the time I posted that I had been listening to 1040 online. The host was interviewing Duane Ford about the upcoming playoff games this weekend.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:It's only common sense that if 75% of the team1040 audience tunes in for Canucks talk, that exposing them to occasional Lions talk/games might spur them to also follow the Lions (and buy tickets). If you move the Lions to another station, casual sports fans will hear less Lion coverage. Fans are only going to tune into 1410 if they specifically want to listen to Lion games. No growth there.

While 1040 seems to be bending over backwards to include some Lions coverage at this time, it's only natural their coverage will erode with their games being broadcast on another station. 1040 is still the "Home of the Seahawks", so will they now get equal coverage to the Lions on 1040, because the Hawks are one of the station's "properties?" On Monday both the morning and afternoon shows had live Seahawk reports from Seattle, as well as numerous other NFL segments ...but very little on other CFL games.

I doubt that Patrick or Rome on 1410 will have much Lions talk either. :juggle:
You are seeing 1040 and 1410 as two separate stations. They are not. They are the same station (TEAM RADIO) with two program streams. It is very much in the interest of TEAM RADIO to drive people towards Lions broadcasts on 1410 and for that reason alone there should be no decrease in the amount of airtime the Lions get on 1040 programs. Unless the market tells them otherwise.

Look, if you have satellite radio and you tune into the main MLB channel and it is simply a barker channel telling you which specific frequency to find your game of choice. That's what 1040 has become, a barker channel of sorts for TEAM RADIO. "You want the Canucks game, stay tuned right here... you want Lions game tune into 1410".

Or you go to TSN.ca and their home page has navigation links.... click here for CFL, click here for NFL, click here for NHL, etc.

If you only look at this from the perspective of how the radio industry existed from 1950 through the 1980s you will feel the Lions are getting snubbed. But if you see this as an evolution of how radio will be delivered in the future, you will see that it is not any sort of pecking order or preferential treatment (other that what the market demands). This is how radio should have gone 10 years ago when they should have started migrating to digital distribution with multiple program streams from each broadcaster. Instead AM & FM radio did nothing and satellite radio swooped in, leaving AM radio throughout North America barely clinging to life.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:It's only common sense that if 75% of the team1040 audience tunes in for Canucks talk, that exposing them to occasional Lions talk/games might spur them to also follow the Lions (and buy tickets). If you move the Lions to another station, casual sports fans will hear less Lion coverage. Fans are only going to tune into 1410 if they specifically want to listen to Lion games. No growth there.
:
Mr Henry, you and someone above are mistakingly assuming that by moving the game broadcast to another frequency will mean the hosts at 1040 will talk less Lions. This is simply untrue. 100% wrong. The Team hosts whom are passionate about Lions will still be covering and talking and PROMOTING Lions. I realize it's not fasionable to post this FACT, all hosts where saying they and all listeners should be watching the Lions and game and forgoing the Canucks/laffs game. This being the most anticipated rival Canucks have.

YOu are correct that Lions talk is what spurns interest and possible tickets sales, this will continue. The actual game call is just what it is, for people already interested and can't watch for whatever reason.

This whole thread is deja vue all over again. It happened when the Lions left nw. Oh how does the game grow.. the market share blah blah blah.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:You won't answer of course, you never do. It's why you're seen as such a detraction to this site. Pathetic.
Nice. Personal insults from a mod.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:It's only common sense that if 75% of the team1040 audience tunes in for Canucks talk, that exposing them to occasional Lions talk/games might spur them to also follow the Lions (and buy tickets). If you move the Lions to another station, casual sports fans will hear less Lion coverage.
Only the game broadcasts are moving, not the day-to-day chatter.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
My oh my. Folks really are on edge on this board these days. Try and lighten the mood with a little joke and you get the dismissive "snooze" emoticon. What next? The dreaded eye roll? Ouch.
Not sure how falling asleep equates to being on edge; seems quite the opposite, so let me clarify... basically I just meant that I couldn't care less about whether a radio station sells hats/shirts/etc with their logo on it. You're right, I didn't get the Peanuts reference but I recall it now that you point it out. Come to think of it, Schroeder is probably equally indifferent about who has trading cards, so maybe I was subconsciously pulling the piano out from under your head. :twisted: :hypno:

And are they airing Christmas specials already? Good grief! (spot the reference)
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:so maybe I was subconsciously pulling the piano out from under your head. :twisted: :hypno:
Howzabout I offer to be the holder while you run up and kick the football.... :toss:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lionheart wrote:Mr Henry, you and someone above are mistakingly assuming that by moving the game broadcast to another frequency will mean the hosts at 1040 will talk less Lions. This is simply untrue. 100% wrong. The Team hosts whom are passionate about Lions will still be covering and talking and PROMOTING Lions. I realize it's not fasionable to post this FACT, all hosts where saying they and all listeners should be watching the Lions and game and forgoing the Canucks/laffs game. This being the most anticipated rival Canucks have.
I managed to pick the Team1040 signal up in Chetwynd this afternoon while driving back to Mackenzie. If I was a Canuck fan I'd be accusing them of being TEAMLion, not TEAMHockey or TEAMCanuck. They talked briefly to their regular NFL insider for maybe 5 minutes and Randle "The Handle" in the usual slot. They had Don Hay on for a couple of minutes. 90% of the rest of the other hour and 15 minutes was all Lion talk......of course there was some matter about some shorts that was a big part of the discussion. Regardless I don't even recall hearing the word "Canuck" during that drive.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.